Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 496401 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2100 on: September 15, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »

I like the whole god college thing best by the way, for a backstory.

I also agree that all the modders need god names.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 15, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »

Alright, here's my suggestion:

We have 3 Syndrome classes, representing the basic construction of a creature:
-ALL for organics (so we don't have to change too much retroactively); INORGANIC for statues, mud men, machines, etc; and INCORPOREAL for ghosts, spirits, Adherents of the Mind, etc.

-For organic creatures, we have further classifications based on taxonomy, for instance [ALL]->[VERTEBRATE]->[MAMMAL], etc like we already do.

-We have [SPIRIT] for certain mythical/supernatural beings, with [SPIRIT_CORPOREAL] to differentiate those with bodies. We could further add the organic taxanomic classes to such flesh-cloaked spirits, but have some syndromes with [SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:SPIRIT] to differentiate them from their mundane bretheren. Or, even have syndromes targeting spirits in the shape of mortal creatures.

-Oh, and a [CREATURE_CLASS:UNDEAD], of course. We could differentiate between spirits of the dead and nature spirits, if we want.

-People who want an all-affecting syndrome would need only give it all three of the basic syn affected classes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:23:45 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 15, 2013, 08:22:42 pm »

Changing it retroactively isn't a problem though. Simply run something that reads "replace    [CREATURE_CLASS:ALL] with    [CREATURE_CLASS:ALL]   [CREATURE_CLASS:ORGANIC]" over all the creature files. On a linux system it's one single command line command. Then it (ALL) must be added to the ones you didn't include in a class, though.

Generally your proposal is reasonable, I just think people will be confused when making syndromes about what they affect or not if ALL means organic. Could go either way.

Spirit classes may eventually be useful. UNDEAD class less so as you will not be able to give it to zombies, but why not.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 15, 2013, 08:27:22 pm »

You can give classes to zombies, as zombies get a syndrome from their interaction.

That said, I think we should consolidate all currently finished files into a package so we can go back and change everything. I think people assumed [ALL] meant organic only because they gave [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL] to all their creature venoms. Unless everyone intended their poisons to affect golems and other inorganics, but that's just overpowered.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 15, 2013, 08:44:15 pm »

My avenger Halfling Oath Rumpshard is ready with cudgel in hand.

Does praying to the dark gods for vampirism not always work?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:51 pm »

You can give a creature class to zombies by transforming them. That however breaks reanimating zombies with the same interaction. Anyway, I guess you're right about the syndromes.

All currently finished files? Since reemer's turn is right there on the first page, I assume you mean other things too. That's a tall order if you mean contributions.

Here's the finished trolls, with speech, rendered in the new order.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7978

Specifically trolls are [ALL], [VERTEBRATE], [HUMANOID] and [NIGHT_CREATURE] while fiends are additionally [SPIRIT], [SPIRIT_CORPOREAL] and [DEMON].

My avenger Halfling Oath Rumpshard is ready with cudgel in hand.

Does praying to the dark gods for vampirism not always work?

No, it very rarely does (but it can, very occasionally). Try finding a vampire if you want better chances of eternal life that way. :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:19 pm »

Or restarting your adventure until it works. A bit tedious, mind you.

I'll get to work reclassifying things right away. Of course, I might need people to state intentions for their poisons.

You don't need to transform creatures to give them classes. [SYN_CLASS] gives the creature a class as long as the syndrome lasts, and zombies can receive a syndrome when they animate.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 15, 2013, 08:59:45 pm »

Or restarting your adventure until it works. A bit tedious, mind you.

I'll get to work reclassifying things right away. Of course, I might need people to state intentions for their poisons.

You don't need to transform creatures to give them classes. [SYN_CLASS] gives the creature a class as long as the syndrome lasts, and zombies can receive a syndrome when they animate.

True but that's a syndrome class, not a creature class. If you have a syndrome that targets creature class UNDEAD, it won't target one with syndrome class UNDEAD. Or am I mistaken? I think you can only use the latter with IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS.

I think you can reasonably assume for now that the poisons are supposed to target organics only, since those are (almost) all that have existed so far, unless someone specifically says they should target spirits and mechanisms too. It doesn't really make sense for insect poisons and lizardfolk blood to affect those... maybe. That's how it was working anyway, since it wasn't possible to target inorganics with ALL anyway, so it's a reasonable assumption that that was the intent. If something should target more it's easy to add the target by comparison.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: September 15, 2013, 09:05:47 pm »

I don't my Halfling adventurers get food or water anyway? My Formics do.

And I started as a maceman forgetting Halflings don't get daggers. I wanted to become rich selling squid parts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 15, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »

I'll go with organics for now.

I believe syndromes and interactions do not distinguish between SYN_CLASS and CREATURE_CLASS. It needs testing/confirmation, but I'm fairly confident.

NINJA EDIT: Do halflings have waterskins? If not, no water.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:39 pm »

Halflings don't get waterskins because they currently don't use animal leather for equipment by default. I suppose they could do with [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] in their entity because they're not vegetarians by default after all.

Hugo, if you're poking around in there and making a temporary package with bugfixes, would you mind...? :P

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 15, 2013, 09:14:30 pm »

That's not a cheap, useful animal. That's a cheap horrible animal.

Oh, it's useful - just like tarnish stalks! It's just the worst possible thing to use. You can survive entirely off of tarnish stalks, feeding your halflings nothing but tarnish vodka and raw stalks, and they'll be miserable vomiting wretches forever and ever, but they'll neither starve nor dehydrate. Likewise with this horrible critter - you can eat its meat as much as you want, and drink its milk exclusively, and cook fine meals from its eggs, but you'll suffer endless stomach cramping and vomiting, occasionally sink into hallucinatory fits, and break out in blisters while butchering it. But it will be absolutely dirt cheap, and breed fast - some kind of noxious guinea pig, maybe. You can bring wagonloads of masterwork boulders and whatnot, and be able to bring along a breeding population of these animals to feed everyone!

Granted, everyone may hate you for it and want to die enough to run out with open arms to greet the spider-centaurs, but honestly, if I was a spider-centaur war leader, I would turn the band around if a wave of plague-ridden halflings came charging out at me wanting hugs while spewing their guts across the grass.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: September 15, 2013, 09:16:44 pm »

Hmm...why do my shortsighted Halflings fail to bring food then?

These squid are fast...

Hugo, I just saw a squid leave the water.

It's drowning though...huh...

Their respiratory sacks bleed a lot by the way. Is that intended?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:21:42 pm by Vgray »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 15, 2013, 09:21:34 pm »

Halflings don't get waterskins because they currently don't use animal leather for equipment by default. I suppose they could do with [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] in their entity because they're not vegetarians by default after all.

Hugo, if you're poking around in there and making a temporary package with bugfixes, would you mind...? :P

Sure, bring out the bugs.

While we're at it, should [HUMANOID] be a taxanomic classification or a structural one? I'm thinking structural, but maybe it should be reserved for "xyz-men" and other such creatures, instead of anything human-shaped?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 15, 2013, 09:23:20 pm »

Their respiratory sacks bleed a lot by the way. Is that intended?

Well, they are analogous to lungs. Did you injure it, or did it just start bleeding randomly?

EDIT: sorry for double-post
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 261