Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 496363 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2550 on: September 28, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »

If azurine's a layer stone (I need to play this mod more :( ) then a grey background would work too, if the tile used was that funny thin-diagonal-stripes thing. One set of the stripes would be made blue by the game, the other grey, so that'd work out pretty nicely.

Personally, I think all common stone types (ie, layer stones, non-ore vein stones) should use that tile, but variety's nice too :)

@Aseaheru: Is the jaded slade our lava stone?

Yeah, I'm just going to download the raws now and see if I can stick together some form of play turn...

EDIT: Okay, Putnam's raws are 666kb. Great work, everyone :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:35:57 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: September 28, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »

These are indeed layer stones we're talking about.

The current lava stone is still "rock" (ROCK_HLG), originally intended as a placeholder in this role, so feel free to make another and remove this.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: September 28, 2013, 08:46:37 pm »

The current lava stone is still "rock" (ROCK_HLG), originally intended as a placeholder in this role, so feel free to make another and remove this.
All right then:
Code: [Select]
inorganic_gnorm

[OBJECT:INORGANIC]

[INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN_GNORM][LAVA]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE_HLG]
[MELTING_POINT:14000]
[BOILING_POINT:17520]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:blue obsidian]
[TILE:177][DISPLAY_COLOR:1:1:1]
        [MAX_EDGE:20000]
        [MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
        [MELTING_POINT:13000]
        [SOLID_DENSITY:3000]
[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE][IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE][METAMORPHIC]
[IS_STONE]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:43:08 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: September 28, 2013, 08:55:03 pm »

Yep, this'll be a fun play turn. Opening screen is in the darks of the earth where a section of the caverns collapsed with enough force to alert 7 unskilled hobbit immigrants (emigrants?) on the surface.

The Tale of Pantstraitors shall be posted within the night.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: September 28, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »

I look forward to reading it :P

@Gnorm, why is the lava stone also sedimentary and metamorphic and occurs in ocean floors (ie. everywhere, rather than just volcanic areas)?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:31 pm »

How's this for a modification of the syndrome?  Contact: Nothing Major.  Ingested: You are freaking screwed.  There's going to be a far weaker ingested for the dragonkin.

[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:lizardfolk blood poisoning]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ORGANIC]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:POISON_IMMUNE]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:SWAMP_DWELLER]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_BLISTERS:SEV:100:PROB:50:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:34800:END:72000]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:10:PROB:20:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000:END:72000]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:POISON_IMMUNE]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:SWAMP_DWELLER]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000]
[CE_VOMIT_BLOOD:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:56:41 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: September 28, 2013, 10:01:31 pm »

How's this for a modification of the syndrome?  Contact: Nothing Major.  Ingested: You are freaking screwed.  There's going to be a far weaker ingested for the dragonkin.

[SYNDROME]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:REPTILE]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_BLISTERS:SEV:100:PROB:50:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:34800:END:72000]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:10:PROB:20:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000:END:72000]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:REPTILE]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000]
[CE_VOMIT_BLOOD:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:36000]

Seems okay for balance as far as you can tell without playtesting, but because the paralysis probably instakills you with 100% prob if you go and drink the blood, the rest seems a little superfluous :P

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: September 28, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »

Seems okay for balance as far as you can tell without playtesting, but because the paralysis probably instakills you with 100% prob if you go and drink the blood, the rest seems a little superfluous :P

Only if you are an adventurer in the field.  If you use body swap on the king, have him drink it, then swap back to your character...

By the way, has someone made a civilization for the dragonkin, yet?  I gave permission for anyone to do so, but I don't know if anyone has.

Files changed and added for cheap metals and the syndromes
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: September 28, 2013, 10:42:29 pm »

@Gnorm, why is the lava stone also sedimentary and metamorphic and occurs in ocean floors (ie. everywhere, rather than just volcanic areas)?
That was my mistake; I'll fix that.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: September 28, 2013, 10:55:05 pm »

Misc. notes: As Child Titloving found out the hard way, even clothing is strong enough to deflect wooden arrows in this universe. At least giant troll sized clothing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: September 28, 2013, 10:56:26 pm »

Its tarnish stalks. I always see that shit like wicker.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: September 28, 2013, 10:57:38 pm »

About Lizard Blood: I'm perfectly fine with that. Fighting them close quarters will be annoying but not cause fatalities despite killing them, so will be more interesting, while deadly ingested blood adds more challenge in keeping clean and finding other things to drink. Makes the game interesting but still fair.

@Halfling: The clothing of larger creatures being much thicker than that of smaller creatures is a fundamental bug with no known workaround, aside from nudity.

Adherents:
Okay. Found a monastery. They don't have spears, they just take them from the enemy. So that was my bad.

Food for thought: they may (I'd say will) kill a siege (forgot about sieges blocking caravans) or a megabeast if they arrive at the same time. If they bring a gifted adherent they kill anything in the game. This is standard behavior for caravans. They may pick up equipment on the map. If they're unable to leave, or sometimes due to a bug fail to path correctly, they may go berserk as merchants sometimes do and cause a lot of trouble, more so than anything else.

Furthermore I just feel that in an open world game something being able to unavoidably instakill you, like these will an adventurer, is bad game design. It's kind of like a forced choice; an invisible wall. You're not supposed to go there. Something being massively hard is okay, literally impossible is not really.
So how about both a nerf to their unconsciousness abilities and a reduction of the frequency of their visits, both?
I agree with reducing their visits (how about to Winter only?), but...

They're not an "unavoidable" obstacle, they do not railroad you in ANY way or force you to avoid certain areas. They might be able to trounce you, but you'd have to actively pick a fight with them. They are never initially hostile. I don't see what the problem is. Occulentibus can destroy you without you being able to do much about it and they'll target you even if you're friendly. If you really want to kill an Adherent, you can take all the time you want to prepare one of the few things that can kill them (like the Occulentibus gaze vigor), because they'll never strike the first blow. You can still sneak up on them after provoking them, too. It's a challenge, but fights with them are 100% avoidable in adventure mode.

As for fortress mode, I purposefully disallowed them wagons to ease their pathfinding. If they're staying on the map too long, just do what DF players always do: wall them in and/or drop a ceiling on them once they go berserk. And in my experience, destroying three or four caravans doesn't start a war, giving the player years to correct the issue. I want them to be very, very difficult to defeat, but at the same time, it's the players' choice whether or not to face that challenge. It's like demanding a nerf to dragons because they get mad when you strike them.

Also, their powers are pretty much useless against things that don't have minds. People have golems, zombies, machines, and other things in the works, so the list of things they can't kill is growing, and already nonzero. Likely there will eventually be something made from endgame materials that will kill them, too. In short, they're a challenge to fight, but you have to actively seek out such a fight.

Materials:
About iron: we've already got meteoric iron, which is far too common (and deep) than any meteor has a right to be. In it's current state it's not very meteoric. I think we should have some regular iron (with a single kind of ore), and make meteoric iron use gem behavior, so it shows up uncommonly as relatively "meteor" sized clusters within most kinds of rock.

Too common?  I prefer to see it as the gods decided to throw a f***ton of meteors at the place and see what happened.  The moon that causes syndromes is just the debris that got shot up high enough, and the gods decided to make it not look like a mistake.

Yes, but it's not really "meteoric" if it constitutes a good chunk of the planet. The Earth is essentially made entirely of meteorites, but we don't call just any mineral "meteoric". If it's gone through the geologic cycle and become veins within layers of rock, it is by no means meteoric any longer. Therefore, we should either change it from veins to clusters (since then the material would be grouped in clumps, like burried meteorites), or rename it just "iron". Thematically, we ought to have regular iron if we have a supposedly rarer, better form of iron. And linguistically, wouldn't people just call it "iron" if it was the only kind of iron?

Hobbits work exclusively with Iridium, one of if not the most rare and precious metals on earth, yet don't have any iron to make simple tools for their pastoral lifestyle. Iridium, a fairly obscure metal which requires industrialized technology to make into anything useful, but no iron.

It's very important that we have the standard materials of most any setting, so people have a reference point for the fantastic materials. What the hell is Lunanium and Aeresium? Sounds like jargon, is of no meaning to people who hear it or find it in game. They can hardly conceptualize it without something known to compare it to. I say we need copper, iron, and steel so people can compare stuff to them for combat properties; we need silver and gold so people can see how valuable stuff is compared to those. Hell, we have Iridium but not platinum, and people didn't even know there was a difference between the two until the 1800's.

Stone layers:
I think all stone should have a background, but not necessarily grey. Any color is fine, as long as it's not black. We have way too many stones with a colored icon on a black background, which is very confusing as it looks like either the ground cover or a whole bunch of items. In vanilla, you can tell at a glance what's open space/ground and what's solid wall because walls look solid. Too often in this, a quick glance cannot distinguish between the walls, the floor, open space, and rock walls. So just give it a background, ANY background.

Let's not use Jaded Slade as a lava rock. It's undiggable and contains water, which would make a massive mess and eliminate much of the fun of playing with fluids.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:54 pm »

Don't forget diamonds :D

I guess when you put it that way, making them only appear in winter will be a good step.

The reason why these guys being able to trounce everything stays on the mind and oculentibus does not, I guess, is that while in adventurer mode I still have not in all this time run into an oculentibus once, these guys are not rare. But it's true they don't force you to fight them. Oh, the oculentibus should probably be a semimegabeast too.

Various examples of rare super-strong monsters notwithstanding, I still think e.g. "paralyze one creature for 30-50% of the time and cause a variety of debuffs" would be more reasonable for an ordinary member of that civilization than "paralyze possibly several creatures forever and cause a variety of debuffs". I mean even if they don't pick a fight with you, are they all supposed to be walking gods? That you have thousands of?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: September 28, 2013, 11:26:35 pm »

A better nerf to the "unconscious" attack would be "IT_CANNOT_AFFECT_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED", since the KO is quite brief, shorter than the timer on the symptom, so people would have a period of immunity during which they could get into cover. I meant to add it but I must have missed it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: September 28, 2013, 11:28:04 pm »

you mean [IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 261