Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 71118 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophy - succession dungeon
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2016, 12:10:20 am »

I thought the most useful part of the diagram was the cat-shaped part, personally.

And nice artifact mechanism, I think you can make an indestructible lever with that. If something is attempting to destroy the lever I imagine it's already too late for the fortress, but at least it will live on for eternity as a memorial to the folly of Sneaktunnels.

The newt will probably die quickly, though the gas could be problematic. I would send some recruits first to see what it does. I hope it doesn't get stuck in a tree.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2016, 01:32:00 am »

Pull the lever.

The one that rerouts through the caverns.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2016, 04:35:51 am »

Arm anyone who isn't the starting seven right?
Ô_ quack

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2016, 08:15:06 am »

The beast has to be killed, at least so that there is something to remember the fort after.
Sneaktunnels - The CATastrophic beastslaying fortress.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2016, 10:00:13 am »

- Hehehe, minecarts have a way of acting not exactly as expected when things are not done exactly right :P

They're more like painting than measuring, especially when you're still learning (and I know I am).

I take it you're trying to figure it out on your own instead of looking at preexisting lifts? It's fun, though a little dangerous to dwarves.

- Huh, first time I hear abaut stonefall trap killing anything. Never brother with them, myself.

On the flip side, can use the artifact mechanism in a weapon trap or well.

- Legendary stonecrafter? Eh, pots?

- "Hello Osman. You're a smoker, I see."

Maybe a chessboard pattern of pillars and floors can limit it's spread.

Though it may not come to the fortress. I've had paths open to surface, FB peek out from darkness, then go back into it with enough time to kill and haul elk bird pack and build a trapper for spiders and crocs afterwards.
If something is attempting to destroy the lever
Nah http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Building_Destroyer

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2016, 11:19:04 am »

Nominating this for the quote bank
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2016, 11:37:42 pm »

Nominating this for the quote bank
added
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic succession dungeon
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2016, 12:54:33 pm »

i hope the FB does doesnt take out the whole fortress. that would be bad.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2016, 06:45:44 pm »

2nd Sandstone:

The magma minecart filling mechanism once again managed to spill magma everywhere. Thankfully the mechanic operating it evaded injury, but it was close.

I buy some weapons from the caravan with some of our best food and select eight likely recruits with some previous combat experience.

7th Sandstone:

Osman continues lurking in the water, slowly getting closer to the fort entrance. Meanwhile, in the deepest caverns, a voracious cave crawler is cloven asunder by the spinny blades of death of our traps. Hopefully Osman will die just as easily…

9th Sandstone:

Osman retreats into the water. The militia is on high alert in case they resurface again, but they currently seem disinterested in us.

17th Sandstone:

Osman seems content to swim around in the water. Fine, whatever. I’ll still be keeping an eye on the thing and the militia are all still ready to go if it attacks.

Since we have full magma forging capabilities now, we can now begin forging armour in earnest. Hopefully we’ll have outfitted the entire dedicated military by the time the Osman attacks.

23rd Sandstone:

Some migrants arrive. A couple have useful skills, some are immediately pressed into military service[Once we can get weapons for them, anyways] and some dumb rangers are told to kill Osman by shooting it repeatedly.

27th Sandstone:

Osman is attacking. It killed a cat. Only the fact that there are literally no weapons left for me to wield prevents me from attacking this beast.

28th Sandstone:

Osman kills a passing mechanic and a baby. Rude. Speciesunkn0wn, after a brief and uneven combat, slays the beast with the most vigorous head poking I’ve ever seen. A couple of the militia are dead. Luckily we have coffins.

7th Timber:

Some troglodytes somehow made it past our traps and are harassing the metalworkers. Hopefully the military arrives before we need even more coffins.

8th Timber:

Our armourer is dead and blood is everywhere, but the troglodytes are dead too. Clearly we need more traps.

12th Timber:

More traps have been added and some of the temporary militia are being given full-time military posts. Hopefully this will avert future loss of life.

14th Timber:

A troll gets butchered messily by the spiny death traps on the lowest cavern. Great, now there’s teal everywhere.

16th Timber:

This is the taste of victory. Osman alone could feed us for years. Maybe Forgotten Beasts aren’t so bad, with the right ingredients.

1st Moonstone:

Minecarts of magma once again trundle to the surface. I order a magma dumping chute built, because rotting corpses stink. We’ve caught a cave crocodile in a trap, which is excellent news. Once they’ve been befreiended, that scaly menace will be on OUR side.

3rd Moonstone:

Oh dear.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2016, 07:32:27 pm »

First,yet. The best is dead.

Second, let's remove hauling jobs of anyone Wii don't want dead? Minecarts loves haulers.

Third, good luck with the ambush, trow cats?
Ô_ quack

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2016, 08:15:12 pm »

- I see learning is happening.

- You pissed off Osman.

- I never can figure out how to pull things out in adventure mode. Makes me never use spears.

- Don't think troglodytes are trapavoid, but they're amazing climbers.

- Crocsplosions?

- Kobolds?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2016, 08:23:09 pm »

First,yet. The best is dead.

All encounters with Osman were rocket tag. It consistently decapitated or bisected in one shot and got killed in around the same way.

Second, let's remove hauling jobs of anyone Wii don't want dead? Minecarts loves haulers.

I'm not good enough with minecarts to set up MOVING minecart delivery systems. I just dump them in the magma pit, pump in magma, pump out magma and then haul the magma-laden carts all the way up to the forging area. Takes forever, but the alternative is derailed magma minecarts everywhere.

Third, good luck with the ambush, trow cats?

I was, at some point, planning to stick all the cats in the fortress in a cage and then release them on invaders. However, its a lot more effective to use war-trained captured cavern creatures instead , although we do have a noticeable dearth of those[Only one Giant Rat and a very recently acquired Cave Croc].

That said, we might just be able to military them away. Our short sword squad has full iron armour and our spear squad has partial iron armour. Considering they've got fabulous weapon skills, 5-10 goblins shouldn't be a problem. If a second squad of bowgoblins or something shows up, things could get unpleasant, especially since I've been completely ignoring the surface for the whole year[And thus neglected to put weapon traps in that entrance]. Might be easier to stick all the not-surface levels in a burrow, safety alert people in there and try to lure them into our traps.

- I see learning is happening.

I'm not even sure what's going wrong with my set-up. I literally advanced the pumping frame by frame and still ended up with an extra 7/7 of Magma somehow.

- You pissed off Osman.

Apparently. They started attacking the instant I assigned a squad the kill order on them

- I never can figure out how to pull things out in adventure mode. Makes me never use spears.

Just move, whether towards the enemy or away from them. You'll either twist the weapon in the wound or pull it out. I THINK you can use the "I"interact key to do the same thing, but I'm not sure.

- Don't think troglodytes are trapavoid, but they're amazing climbers.

They probably got in through the magnetite mining zone then, since that's hella open.

- Crocsplosions?

More like *Cave Crocodile Egg Roast* explosions, given how nest boxes work.

- Kobolds?

Goblins. Which is good, since kobolds are nearly as cute as cats, in their own rogueish way.
Spooky Signature

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2016, 08:59:59 pm »

- I can't answer what's wrong with your setup if I don't see your setup. Though being able to learn minecarts with enough reading, hacking and and experimentation doesn't preclude ability to learn all of minecarts today, or even this month.

I can, however, point you to the minecart elevatior I did in Deathgame - see link in signature.

- Osman was apparently highly intelligent. "Live and let live", huh.

*rockettag*

- Yeah, but when I move away or towards in adventure mode the enemy gets bunch of extra attacks. Doing this in a dragonfight in arena mode makes me get hilariously slaughtered, like I move once and get attacked for 3 pages straight.

- Eggcooking is eh...Very point-efficient, but adds an extra layer of management. Though, since this is 0.43 I guess you can use manager (or stockflow in .42, I guess) and job-material to set up automated egg roasting.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2016, 09:11:10 pm »

So how did the Osman's poisonous gas work?
Anyway, should I pit the enemies we killed in the OP?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2016, 09:18:14 pm »

So how did the Osman's poisonous gas work?

I don't know. I'd have to recheck the combat logs, but I don't think it used that against anything it didn't proceed to kill outright.

Anyway, should I pit the enemies we killed in the OP?

For FBs and Megabeasts, sure.

- Eggcooking is eh...Very point-efficient, but adds an extra layer of management. Though, since this is 0.43 I guess you can use manager (or stockflow in .42, I guess) and job-material to set up automated egg roasting.

I meant that any eggs they produced would almost immediately be whisked away and then cooked, since we've got lots and lots of egg-cookery going on already.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31