No Poll

For
- 0 (0%)
Serious
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 14, 2012, 06:17:21 pm

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 252

Author Topic: Mabinogi-On Steam! Close combat revamp!  (Read 362498 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mabinogi - A free korean MMO that isn't a huge pile of junk
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:58 am »

What is XCOM ?
???

X-COM is X-COM, one of the best games ever made and a preeminent example of "Tactical Turn-based Game Done Right." There's like a dozen LPs for one of the primary games in the series (Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse) on this forum alone :P

You should probably get around to playing it. Either Enemy Unknown or Apocalypse would be my suggestion, primarily the former to get you started.
Oh, i see, i remember playing "UFO : Afterlight", I think it's part of the series but i'm not a huge fan of the genre. End of the derail though.

You MUST be trolling.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:19 am »

Err no, i'm not trolling... Apparently the "UFO : After..." series isnt part of the XCOM series but a "spiritual successor". TBH, i think i tried one of the XCOM games, like 10 years ago, but i was heavily confused (i was sort of new to video games back then). I'll just check out those "dozen LPs" and get a fresh opinion.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2012, 11:19:20 am »

What is XCOM ?
???

X-COM is X-COM, one of the best games ever made and a preeminent example of "Tactical Turn-based Game Done Right." There's like a dozen LPs for one of the primary games in the series (Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse) on this forum alone :P

You should probably get around to playing it. Either Enemy Unknown or Apocalypse would be my suggestion, primarily the former to get you started.
Oh, i see, i remember playing "UFO : Afterlight", I think it's part of the series but i'm not a huge fan of the genre. End of the derail though.

You MUST be trolling.

The actua; X-Com series ended at X-Com Enforcer.
It was:
X-Com (Turn based Tacitacs)
X-Com Terror From the Deep (Turn based tactics so hard it would make Chuck Norris cry)
X-Com Apocalypse (Turn Based or Real time tactics... however the game seems to be made with real time in mind.)
X-Com Interceptor (Space shooter)
X-Com Enforcer (Arcade robot alienstomping clusterfuck)

The UFO trilogy is a Different series altogether (heavily inspired by X-Com tho).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

well...decided to give the game a try...found every npc dead...so whatever "fix" was going on...didn't work...while i can figure out what to do...i suspect i wont be able to do much besides randomly grind my initial icebolt and weapon skills....

Yeah, that is rough. Though new players can learn counterattack manually by attacking something that uses it. A wolf is a good target for this as they use it reasonably often. And counter goes well with icebolt, though I'd prefer firebolt.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2012, 11:56:12 am »

Yeah, that is rough. Though new players can learn counterattack manually by attacking something that uses it. A wolf is a good target for this as they use it reasonably often. And counter goes well with icebolt, though I'd prefer firebolt.
while yes...i managed to get counterattack...i guess i dont realy like the idea of trying to go through the game without any tutorial quests besides the initial dialog...i dont even think its posible to do the time limited quest i got while i was running arround...as for spell choice...didn't get a choice, got the ice book from initial destiny, logged off for a few hours, logged back on to find everything dead and a bunch of quests that are starting to pile up as i level up...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:19 pm »

Quests are probably gonna pile up regardless of NPC livingness or not~

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2012, 12:53:05 pm »

Quests will always pile up, you don't have to worry about them much at all.  Do them if you want, or not.

Last time NPCs were down for ~36 hours or so.  This is clearly an attack and they're not just gonna shrug and leave it.  The hackers did pick a good time though, as Nexon/DevCat is terrible and takes weekends off, including 3 day holiday weekends.  Tuesday should (hopefully) see some knuckle-cracking and bug-fixing on the devs' part.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was another reboot today, really.

Attacks and hacks happen to any company.  Nexon is doing fairly bad by not reacting quickly (or at all), but they can't really be blamed for bad luck.  So, it's currently just a matter of being chill and entertaining yourself the old fashioned way.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2012, 03:01:58 pm »

We did do some barehanded dungeon runs, crafting and some pvp matches last night after the npcs got killed. Had a pretty good time despite the dead npcs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »

NPCs are back, there was ~6 hour maintenance so hopefully they actually fixed the problem this time.

We did dungeon runs without them though.  Luckily as a smith, I can create weapons.  I made a few short swords and battle short swords for temporary use, hopefully I can skill up to the point that I can produce real powerful weapons that we can discard and/or sell later.  I'm currently taking precautions to ensure that future apocalyptic events won't completely shut down our actions.  A stockpile of ingots, blacksmith manuals, holy water, and bandages will ensure proper dungeoneering despite any loss of NPC.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »

Just dropping in to say that I'm still interested in playing the game. I haven't been able to play much in the last few days do to a sudden attack of IRL, but I should at least be able to join whatever party antics will be in progress over the weekend.
... and then it explodes!

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2012, 02:48:54 am »

Um, this maybe unrelated to the topic, but I'd like to point out that we Koreans don't consider Nexon as a Korean company. Nexon thought they'd make more money in Japan than Korea, so they moved. Yes. I said it right. They moved. Now that Nexon's headquarters is located in Japan, it's no longer Nexon Japan and Nexon. Now it's Nexon Korea and Nexon.

Since the relocation, they're doing pretty damn shitty job in Korea. I dunno about NA, but I'm damn sure they're doing a very good job in Japan.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2012, 03:03:04 am »

Nexon fails in general.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2012, 04:12:58 am »

Not to mention those japs started stacking wierd weaboo shit on top turning Mabinogi into a colossal mess. I hope NA version doesn't get screwed up like ours. Korean Mabinogi is pretty much dying now. and Nexon is desperately trying to leech the last bit of money from the game before they release Mabinogi 2. It's so sad.

I'm not a real big fan of F2P games 'cause F2P usually means Pay 2 Win. This is all director Jae Ho Han's fault. The game was perfactly fine when Nark was in charge. He made the first 2 chapters of the game (from G1 to G9) Than this random fag, Jae Ho turned up and screwed up the story, screwed up the playerbase, turned the game into a Freemium game, and started selling stupid premium items and stuff.

I hope Mabinogi 2 doesn't get fucked over like the first one. 'Cause if it does, I swear to god something really bad's going to happen to those developers.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2012, 05:14:09 am »

Point me out ANY company, developer, or publisher that doesn't fail (aside from Toady, though it could be argued that his time between releases makes him eligible for fail).  Can we just agree that every gamer hates every game company because of their shitty standards/terrible story/bad marketing/whatever reason.  I mean, really?  Have you ever seen a game company where the public opinion was "I'm happy with this"?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2012, 05:44:03 am »

Point me out ANY company, developer, or publisher that doesn't fail (aside from Toady, though it could be argued that his time between releases makes him eligible for fail).  Can we just agree that every gamer hates every game company because of their shitty standards/terrible story/bad marketing/whatever reason.  I mean, really?  Have you ever seen a game company where the public opinion was "I'm happy with this"?
Bullfrog? Squaresoft? Origin?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 252