Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124692 times)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6675 on: July 17, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »

I used dfhack to embark on a human fort.  Get all the starting designations complete. Unpause.  Turns out the humans are hostile to a group of dwarves setting up in the middle of their fort.  Whoops
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: July 17, 2012, 04:48:45 pm »

I was constructing a multi-z-level tall pit to fling gobbos into. Unfortunately I forgot that dwarves tend not to be the brightest when channeling. At the bottom, a "recovery shaft" leading back to the surface. Well and good.

Somehow the miner got the idea to remove the bits at the bottom first, and then go back up and dig his way down.

The inevitable happened, and now the bottomless pit has been properly inaugurated with the body of the miner who dug it. /facepalm

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: July 17, 2012, 05:26:07 pm »

Just now.

Was forcibly reminded how water pressure flow works. I just wanted a little water to bring a bit of mud and I got an entire ocean filling my fortress instantly and killing 19 out of 20 dwarfs.
()==[:::::::::::::>

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: July 17, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »

I like to call such moments a "toilet flush."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ironlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »

Just now.

Was forcibly reminded how water pressure flow works. I just wanted a little water to bring a bit of mud and I got an entire ocean filling my fortress instantly and killing 19 out of 20 dwarfs.

I did that with lava; to say it has "no pressure" is somewhat inaccurate, since when breaching a lava vein, it does tend to project forward with a certain velocity.
Other monsters crowded around me, continually attacking.  I treated them politely, offering the edge of my razor-sharp sword; but the feast, I think, did not please them.

Eldestish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: July 18, 2012, 09:23:59 pm »

I made a GCS farm and pitted the spider in..
I forgot to forbid the doors and it killed the bait,Then I let it out into the waiting cage trap..but it just went by and then killed a few dorfs before my militia killed it..

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »

Just now.

I did that with lava; to say it has "no pressure" is somewhat inaccurate, since when breaching a lava vein, it does tend to project forward with a certain velocity.

Yeah. I was trying to breach a volcano the other day and tried the diagonal fortification method. Diagonals LIE. No pressure is removed. That shit sprayed into my fortress. It was an exciting time for my dwarves. Desperately trying to reach the lever for the floodgate before the magma passed the lever. I lied, they were all on break as the forges slowly filled with magma. Thankfully, only one dwarf was injured.
And yes, I put the lever near where the magma will be, because fuck OSHA.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: July 18, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »

so apparently setting a gaggle of dwarves out to kill those stupid traders that always clog up the immigrant lines causes the entire fortress to turn on those dwarves... imagine my surprise when my alerts is flooded with job cancellations because they are all running from my military...

also what's left of my military has turned on the few that killed the trader so, *facepalm*.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: July 18, 2012, 11:17:56 pm »

Ladies and gentledwarfs, a loyalty cascade. *Claps politely*
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: July 18, 2012, 11:21:02 pm »

Beutiful. Truly and undeniably.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »

so it's safe to say i'm well and truthfully screwed?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: July 18, 2012, 11:26:33 pm »

Also undeniably. Unless you can keep the "Traitor" forces seperated.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: July 18, 2012, 11:30:08 pm »

so it's safe to say i'm well and truthfully screwed?
Probably. Quick and decisive intervention could prevent it, but you are in a lot of trouble.

The dwarves who attacked the traders are no longer loyal to the civ, which makes them enemies of your citizens. Since the are still loyal to your fort, any dwarves who attack them will become enemies of the fort, but not of the civ.  dwarves who kill your regular loyal to everyone dwarves will be loyal to no one. The upshot is that you cant send more of your military aainst the unloyal ones, since by killing them there now unloyal too.

HOWEVER... You still control the first semi-loyal dwarves, so you can order them to go to the edge of the map, where you can deal with them later.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: July 18, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »

alright so i managed to move the squad to the edge of the map, they fought amongst themselves for a while and on a whim i decided to let them back in and nobody seems to be shooting at them or actively trying to kill each other, or running away from them for that matter, is it really safe or have i just made the situation worse somehow?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »

Oh god, what have you done?

Just kidding, I have no idea whether that's good or bad. Have !!FUN!!.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 729