Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 77945 times)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning
« Reply #720 on: January 20, 2024, 01:39:25 am »

Oh, yes I can imagine that turns a bit complicated with many players. It's a bit surprising as the dom-style solution shouldn't be too complicated to implement.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 20, 2024, 08:26:09 am »

Oh, it'd be very complicated, as it'd require reinventing the entire game to have turns resolved simultaneously.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 21, 2024, 12:06:03 am »

These updates put me in a mood of maaaaaybe thinking about potentially considering entertaining the idea of having another go at MP.
Would there be any interest some time in the not-to-immediate future? Maybe try Oceania this time? Some house rules (cough*nukes*cough), etc?

Probably no intense multiplayer experiences for me until like, May.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 12, 2024, 06:31:31 pm »

Rolled a planet with random -160C glaciers scattered around on it. Ending your turn on one is more lethal than all but the worst radioactive hexes. Not sure whether or not this is a bug, b/c these spots can be right next to toasty-warm 30C hexes. It's also kinda fun b/c despite the obscene gravity, the atmosphere is so dense you can send an unoptimized light helicopter 16 hexs - it's almost more of a swimming machine than a flying machine.

Starting to see some more hints in the direction of the next DLC, Republica. Last patch added FP stratagems for fate-exclusive lost GR tech and GR units.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 12, 2024, 09:16:38 pm »

I'm no chemist, but I assume the proximity of -130 Celsius and 30 Celsius hexes is possible depending on the materials at -130 Celsius and the atmosphere which you described as quite thick, plus each hex actually being quite big.

But it seems weird, so it'll probably get patched out of you make a bug report.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 16, 2024, 07:57:13 pm »

Not sure what it is, but the AI majors have been kicking my ass in my recent game attempts. Guess I'll try a normal difficulty game now
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 30, 2024, 03:39:19 am »

I'm 200+ hours into my first game in which I am "learning how to play SE", and I am now on round 280, playing on a large Earth-like planet with lots of water at slow research speed, normal difficulty.     Whilst  I have enjoyed learning the mechanics of this game, the  AI apparently has no concept of strategy,  making me question whether learning the  mechanics is worth it,  in so far as SE is conceived to be a 4X as opposed to a sandbox simulator.    Given that my planet is a bunch of unconnected islands without navies,  one might have thought that the  AI might  rush air defence, but instead it has pumped out useless ground units that cannot defend against bombers.    In fact nearly all of the major regimes don't have an air force at this late stage of the game..   They have airbases, but mostly no aircraft.  I am wondering if this is partly due to the  slow research speed setting that i chose for the world.  Maybe it has something to do with a  "random tech tree" effect that is  specific to my game?   It certainly took me many rounds and BP to develop aircraft.  But overall, the AI controlled major regimes haven't invested  nearly enough BP in air defense, or for that matter  in R&D  in general, and they spend most of their resources on ground units that they do not use effectively.

So, I've been continuously level-bombing the capital city of the most powerful major regime, which is within 25 hexes from an airbase on my island, for over 10 rounds, destroying all of it's public and private sector, apart from it's port and high-command (which  have apparently miraculous healing properties), reducing the Civ level to barbaric and  reducing its population of +300,000 to around 100,000.   I've lost no aircraft and apparently the AI doesn't know that  it should negotiate a truce.  Also, the happiness level of this  capital city that i have reduced to smithereens looks suspiciously fixed by the programmer at around 75%, with worker happiness rigid at 52%, which is laughable all things considered.    This bombing campaign has put me about 15  VP above my nearest rival.

Also, most of the major and minor factions are  passive to the point of docility, even when expanding.    I suspect that this is partly due to the geographical isolation of each  regime, and also partly because the planet  in my game is much larger than the total manpower available, for according to the victory score screen, only above 60% of the planet is  territory occupied by some regime, meaning there isn't much  interaction among empires, even at  round 280.    I have also influenced the factions of every major regime towards pacifism, which also might have contributed.    Sadly, nearly all of the drama in my game has been the  reported  naval conflicts between the Maritime Trade Houses, as opposed to the war-games i have partaken  or observed between the regimes. 

A much stronger diplomacy game-mechanic is clearly needed, for why is it so easy for me to unify with distant minor regimes that  cannot be feasibly conquered or protected by either myself or any of the AI-controlled  regimes in the short to medium term?  And why aren't the AI-controlled regimes preoccupied with unification, given how easy it is?  I think that only one of the majors has unified with a single minor regime, whereas I have effortlessly unified with at least three.  I think it is fair to say that diplomacy logic is fully absent from this game, and that unification should be considered an exploit, given how reluctant the AI is to use it.   

I suspect that  if playing on  large watery worlds, one should always choose the "nemesis regime" option to give the AI a much needed head start.    Maybe one should also play on the  "hard" AI difficulty setting.      But perhaps, it is better to avoid the Oceania content and stick to playing worlds that are better suited to the wargame engine of Shadow Empire.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 05, 2024, 06:49:09 pm »

Whilst  I have enjoyed learning the mechanics of this game, the  AI apparently has no concept of strategy,  making me question whether learning the  mechanics is worth it,  in so far as SE is conceived to be a 4X as opposed to a sandbox simulator.

yeah you said it. the game is almost more akin to dwarf fortress in the way that you need a compelling meta-narrative, or even roleplay conceits, to get interesting gameplay out of it. basically if you aren't writing AARs(thank you for your paragraphs, btw, very enjoyable read of planet states) you aren't playing SE correctly

i also think you should play on smaller worlds with 'nemesis' turned on, like you say. the game is far to complex to hope for genuine AI improvements imo - small team issues

that being said, the game is truly a wonderful sandbox, and for that alone it's worth a purchase

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 06, 2024, 12:28:43 pm »

Another very real problem beyond the single-person dev team is that the game being so long makes it hard to playtest. I was on the Oceania beta, and it was really hard to get a feel for how any new change (and they were coming in fast) would play out unless it was something that would happen in the first 20-30 turns. By the time you'd get to the later stages of the game, you could be 2-3 versions behind, and at that point you've still only experienced a single game's worth of variations...
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]