- 4 (12.9%)
Only in Adventure Mode
- 11 (35.5%)
No
- 11 (35.5%)
Other
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Would you rather play as animal-people?  (Read 1774 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Would you rather play as animal-people?
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:54:13 pm »

I'd rather play as animal-people, and usually I do, thanks to mods.  I'm curious, is this feeling mutual? 

I'm assuming that if this was implemented, it would be confined to the underground animal-people, so that the burrowing mechanics could be maintained and because there are just too many surface animal-people.  To recap, the underground tribes are:

Amphibian Folk
Ant Folk
Bat Folk
Cave Fish Folk
Cave Swallow Folk
Olm Folk
Reptile Folk
Rodent Folk
Serpent Folk

If you wanted an alternate list, here are some other burrowing animals off the top of my head:
Fox (actually all canines)
Rabbit
Badger (probably all mustelids) 
Warthog
Cicadas
Moles
Spider
Crayfish
Skunk
Burrowing Owl
Kingfisher

And wikipedia says Polar Bears, but, I don't know...
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Nibblewerfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would you rather play as animal-people?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 12:47:29 am »

I would rather play as animal men in adventure mode or more specifically serpent men because of the poison they have. Though most other kinds of animal men are smaller than dwarves so they get knocked down easily.
Edit: Though now that I think about it everyone knows that already.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:49:47 am by Nibblewerfer »

perspectivedesigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 07:39:43 pm »

I would love to in adventure mode. I think for now it would be too complex to put in fortress mode. But in adventure mode I'd love the ability to play as almost anything.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:36:02 pm »

I think if it were possible to play as multiple civilizations, they should each have some sort of different play style.  For example, if you can play as dwarves, serpent-folk, bat-folk and ant-folk, dwarves might specialize in craftdwarfship, producing metals and such, serpents could specialize in physical strength or native venom, bats could focus on their flight/climbing or speed and ants could focus on teamwork and biological castes.  Ants might have extra difficulty reaching Legendary job abilities, a bat might lose its ability to fly or climb while wearing heavy armor, a serpent might have slow speed due to leglessness (and probably more injury prone). 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 02:59:20 pm »

You can already mod the game pretty easily to play as animal people in both fortress and adventure mode.

However, as AceSV already said, the lack of differences in play styles makes it pretty boring. Unless you mod in an entire overhaul yourself, of course.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:38:28 pm »

I'm curious (but not curious enough to try it) if you did mod the animal people to be playable in Adventure Mode, would they start out in their little groups in the caverns or in human towns or out in the wilderness or what? 

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:33:43 pm »

The game doesn't recognize their "sites", so the ADVENTURE_TIER tag does nothing. The only way you could play as them would be to add the INDIV_CONTROLLABLE tag, which lets you play as an outsider in any overworld site. Or you could give them an overworld site tag. A lot of hard coded stuff is in their LAYER_LINKED tag, and most of it broke ages ago.

Subterranean tribes haven't gotten any love in real long while.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:37:15 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.