Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: patrols and cassiterite  (Read 1098 times)

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
patrols and cassiterite
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:45:52 am »

in the [m]ilitary screen, ive set up 2 squads of marksdwarves to patrol around my ramparts with 4 dwarves minimum. for some reason though, i never see and dwarves up there.

i tried 2 things: setting up a burrow on my ramparts and setting them to defend the burrow every 2nd month of the year and train on the others, but when that didnt work, i set up a route with [N]otes, [r]outes and made a square route around them.

also, i set the dwarves to train with 4 dwarves minimum, but i only ever see a single dwarf in my 3-wide archery range (i set the room up and everything)

does anyone know what's wrong?

on the cassiterite issue: ive been probing for cassiterite (and therefore granite) pretty much across my map, but i havent found any. is it possible that i dont have any tin in my map? ive just done an import agreement for some bronze and tin, but that sucks if i cant make bronze for shortswords and armour.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:49:36 am by human_dictionary »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: patrols and cassiterite
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:57:32 am »

in the [m]ilitary screen, ive set up 2 squads of marksdwarves to patrol around my ramparts with 4 dwarves minimum. for some reason though, i never see and dwarves up there.

i tried 2 things: setting up a burrow on my ramparts and setting them to defend the burrow every 2nd month of the year and train on the others, but when that didnt work, i set up a route with [N]otes, [r]outes and made a square route around them.

also, i set the dwarves to train with 4 dwarves minimum, but i only ever see a single dwarf in my 3-wide archery range (i set the room up and everything)

does anyone know what's wrong?

You didn't mention setting the Marksdwarves that you want to patrol to the "Active" alert status.  By default, the schedules that you set up are part of the "Active" alert, but by default a new squad is on the "Inactive" alert, so you have to switch them.  I think it's (m)ilitary (a)lert menu.

Training at the range is mostly done on Inactive training or free time, it is only rarely done when the squad members are actively Training.  Active training more often consists of attending lectures on dodging, or etc.  For this reason some players don't use the Training activity much for marksdwarves.  Training is generally good for melee dwarves though.  Small groups (4 or even multi orders to train in groups of 2) is perfect, it promotes sparring.

on the cassiterite issue: ive been probing for cassiterite (and therefore granite) pretty much across my map, but i havent found any. is it possible that i dont have any tin in my map? ive just done an import agreement for some bronze and tin, but that sucks if i cant make bronze for shortswords and armour.

Yes, it is normal for your map to not have every mineral.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:37:08 pm »

That's normal.  You can use a utility called dfhack to check what you've got: it's the "prospect all" command.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:47:01 pm »

oh, also, archery range is a solitary activity, so it's not at all surprising to get only 1 dwarf there.  To get more dwarves at target training, define multiple archery ranges, individually declare them as separate rooms, but assign multiple to the same squad.  You might choose additionally to assign them a barracks room with some beds and chests or whatever you like.