Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 185

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 773098 times)

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #480 on: July 12, 2014, 12:26:14 pm »

Well, it doesn't support multilevel in adv mode at all currently, when I'll work on it, I'll keep your idea in mind.

I was thinking about this too, but I'm not sure it's possible to do.

Oh, I thought I saw some experimental adventure mode support earlier on in the thread. And yeah, I just realized changing the query tools are probably beyond the support of this rendering hack.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »

The problem with rendering levels above you is that you'd not be able to see into houses because of their roofs and similar. I'm not sure how you'd program it to intelligently choose what to show and what not.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 12, 2014, 01:33:30 pm »

It worked! Thanks mifki. Also, it would be nice to see readme at the start of the thread, I didn't find it in DFFD download.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:04:12 pm by SMASH! »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2014, 02:42:35 pm »

The problem with rendering levels above you is that you'd not be able to see into houses because of their roofs and similar. I'm not sure how you'd program it to intelligently choose what to show and what not.

I would think that if you had a roof over your head it wouldnt render it (you inside a building) and if you did not have a roof over your head it would render the roofs...which also prevents you from magically seeing inside without going inside.

Though a better way to do it would be probably if there is a roof within 4x4 tiles of you dont render them...or even more fancy would be if you can see a tile then there is no roof rendered above it...so if you were looking into a doorway you can still see inside without being inside
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:44:44 pm by dennislp3 »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 12, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »

I would think that if you had a roof over your head it wouldnt render it (you inside a building) and if you did not have a roof over your head it would render the roofs...which also prevents you from magically seeing inside without going inside.

Though a better way to do it would be probably if there is a roof within 4x4 tiles of you dont render them...or even more fancy would be if you can see a tile then there is no roof rendered above it...so if you were looking into a doorway you can still see inside without being inside
Oh, just chuck the whole thing and use a first-person interface!  ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 12, 2014, 02:51:01 pm »

lol well thats why I started simple with just if a roof is above you dont render it :P

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 12, 2014, 03:16:46 pm »

For a start, simply giving the player a key to toggle the behavior would be enough. Beyond that, you could check if there's a non-sky tile above the player and disable rendering of upper levels entirely or in a radius around the player.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 12, 2014, 03:19:15 pm »

For a start, simply giving the player a key to toggle the behavior would be enough. Beyond that, you could check if there's a non-sky tile above the player and disable rendering of upper levels entirely or in a radius around the player.

sounds familiar >.>

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

sounds familiar >.>

Hehe, I had the tab open for a while and didn't see (or bother to check) that you replied in the meantime.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

KevinCathcart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 12, 2014, 08:01:42 pm »

Also on that page there is now first working build of multilevel rendering version. Copy shadows.png to data/art folder. Consider it beta - works, but no settings to configure rendering, no optimisations, and likely bugs. Doesn't load on Windows with r5 for some weird reason.
I can confirm that multilevel (3.11) isn't working on Windows 7, dfhack-r5.  Error message.

The big thing stopping me from using TwbT at all though is the incompatibility with stonesense and the always-on bit.  Compatibility would be great, but I'd settle for the ability to disable the plugin to avoid crashing.

Just an FYI, I've added proper OpenGL and TwbT compatibility to Stonesense overlay. I've verified that it does not crash when used with TwbT 3.0 ("multilevel"). I'd like to add a way to have a key toggle the overlay on and off, without having to fully start and close the stonesense plugin, but I wanted to release what I had in the interim. I do not plan to provide builds, but have submitted a pull request to have my update merged in.

Edit: Nextgen might not be properly supported. It is definitely the case that if tiles above or to the left of the main fortress view have their size changed, the overlay will not display right. I'll investigate some, and post my findings. Ideally there would be some way for TwbT to supply size information that stonesense could read.  That would require some way for DFHack plugins to detect each other and share data, and I'm not sure that exists.

Lastly, my update is definitely not compatible with rendermax. It may crash, although my minimal testing simply had the display go crazy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:20:00 pm by KevinCathcart »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:25 pm »

Just an FYI, I've added proper OpenGL and TwbT compatibility to Stonesense overlay. I've verified that it does not crash when used with TwbT 3.0 ("multilevel").

Wow.  Things just keep getting cooler around here :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #491 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:40 pm »

That's cool, thank you! I didn't even know that the overlay wasn't compatible with opengl and was trying to get it working for ages, that's ridiculous.

I suppose stonse doesn't disable the game renderer and it continues to work hidden by the overlay? In this case I'll add a command to disable rendering, this will save significant amount of cpu resources.

I just addeda way to determine nextgen twbt is running yesterday and then other plugins may get tile sizes from it. I'll document this soon. However twbt changes tile size of map tiles, but tiles above and to the left has the usual size (renderer->dispx in case of opengl).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 12, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »

CLA, dennislp3: My point was just that selectively removing only some tiles above your z-level is not without problem. If you have a wide column surrounding the player it would clip into steep terrain, and it'd not be ideal in caverns. A toggle is a neat solution.

Edit: I only mention this because there was mention of a similar problem with showing caverns without their roofs in the stonesense thread.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

KevinCathcart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2014, 02:29:26 am »

Well, although I have implemented what I stated, it sounds like Japa is not planning on merging it because he wants to take stonesense out of process, being a separate executable communicating via RPC. If he decides to go with in-process overlay what I've wirtten can certainly be adapted. If not, then hey, at least I know a lot more about OpenGL than I did before.

Since that sounds like a longer term project, my code in the current form can still be compiled against r5, and used with DF2012.  Mifki, since you have development environments for all three platforms set-up, perhaps you could create some builds of what I have for people to try? (https://github.com/KevinCathcart/stonesense/ branch OpenGL) I.E. a short term fork for those of us still playing DF2012 while Japa undertakes his stonesense restructuring. It sounds like there will not be a stonesense for DF2014 until that restructuring is complete, and I imagine it will take some time. Probably at least a few weeks, perhaps longer.

Also some technical details behind how my ssense overlay OpenGL mode works for mifki and others interested:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2014, 03:01:04 am »

Kevin, I continue to be delighted!  Your ambitions for TwbT + ssense overlay will be fantastic for new players, cutting way down on the configuration and expertise needed to just start playing with the best possible display.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 185