Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 772667 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #540 on: July 16, 2014, 10:59:18 am »

Another problem is that apart from the maps in fortress mode and adv mode (square tiles) and text (non-square tiles) there are also minimap, maps on embark screen and so on. Should they be in text? It's not a problem to have one more separate font for these areas but it still will be rectangular and sized as all text.

So basically I'd like to know how important non-square text is and whether the community is ready for some inconveniences like incompatibility (likely temporary) with some plugins that this functionality may cause.

Maps are maps are maps. Ideally, they'd take specific square tile sheets for map display only, but I'd settle for using the text rendering for those. The map screens have traditionally been horribly mangled by graphics packs due to their non-customizability, making them render right a big plus in favor of basic ASCII. That's what they were intended to look like in the first place, after all.

Text (mini)maps good, square special graphics (mini)maps better, not breaking shit best. I could give up some DFHack goodies for something like that, though.
I think one or two of the artists mentioned that they'd be willing to do map-specific tilesets.  That might work better as a series of overrides rather than a third font, since I don't see a way to shoehorn a third font into the init files.

Personally, I've always found the overview map to be of minimal use, but any innovation in the embark maps could be applied to the overview map basically for free.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #541 on: July 16, 2014, 06:01:59 pm »

Even if the font issues got resolved in the core game

The biggest problem I see with TTF is that it must be done in a way accessible from dfhack/plugins (and now it's not), otherwise dfhack screens will be still in tiles.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #542 on: July 16, 2014, 06:07:42 pm »

Personally, I've always found the overview map to be of minimal use, but any innovation in the embark maps could be applied to the overview map basically for free.

I think I will provide a way to load third (let's call it auxiliary) font for embark and overview maps and then it's up to people to use it or not to use, to have non-square text (and overview map too, unfortunately) tiles or square. So it's going to be quite flexible.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #543 on: July 16, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »

Yeah, I consider ttf unnecessary if we have a separate text tileset.
<3

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 16, 2014, 10:25:13 pm »

I think I will provide a way to load third (let's call it auxiliary) font for embark and overview maps and then it's up to people to use it or not to use, to have non-square text (and overview map too, unfortunately) tiles or square. So it's going to be quite flexible.

And adventure mode quest map? On that note, there needs to be a plugin to just get that damn map out on the top level adv mode interface.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 17, 2014, 04:23:01 pm »

Does TwbT work with 0.40.03?
And do all extra tilesets need to be 256 tiles tilesets?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #546 on: July 17, 2014, 04:30:36 pm »

Does TwbT work with 0.40.03?
And do all extra tilesets need to be 256 tiles tilesets?
No. dfhack has not been updated yet.
Yes, although they can be any size when it comes to pixels. You can also make as many as you like.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 18, 2014, 01:38:28 pm »

About ramps: The issue is that it is hard to tell up ramps on the current level from ramps on the levels below, if all ramps except the ones on the current level rendered as down ramps then it would be much easier to tell if a ramp is on the current level or the level just below.

Really it would not be a problem if it was easier to tell levels apart, but the shading is too subtle for that.

Currently all ramps render as up ramps except for the ones on the very last z-level, which is a little confusing, not to mention ugly.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #548 on: July 20, 2014, 08:07:32 am »

Bunch of updates.

Main branch version 3.31 got a new `colormap` command to change individual colors or reload colors.txt, see readme. Command to reload tilesets is expected later as well.

"Nextgen" branch below.
Version 4.29 has almost all optimisations I was going to do, now rendering is up to 2x faster than the main branch when many levels are rendered.
Now it's possible to refer tilesets by id instead of ordinal number (old overrides.txt will still work).
The same `colormap` command.
Resolved incompatibility with dwarfmonitor plugin on Windows that caused crash.
Now has binaries for r5 only.

Nextgen branch should now behave exactly as the main branch if map and text tilesets have the same size (in terms of compatibility with other plugins), at least until zoomed. So it will become the main version soon once I fix some random crashes.

Nextgen package now includes modified version of mousequery plugin that works correctly with different sizes for map/text tiles. It also supports live query function for lower levels and ability to select tiles on lower levels.

Also this mousequery version has support for click-and-drag for map scrolling. Enabled with command "mousequery drag <left|right>". This functionality can be used independently of TWBT and the code will be merged into dfhack once tested a bit.

Multiscroll plugin also updated for better compatibility with the nextgen branch.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 20, 2014, 10:34:03 am »

Main branch version 3.31 got a new `colormap` command to change individual colors or reload colors.txt, see readme. Command to reload tilesets is expected later as well.
Amazing.
Now it's possible to refer tilesets by id instead of ordinal number (old overrides.txt will still work).
With 'id', do you mean the filename?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #550 on: July 20, 2014, 03:10:42 pm »

Colormap Manipulation

colormap <colorname> <r> <g> command changes display colours. Colour names are as in init/colors.txt without _R/G/B suffix. Components are in range 0-255. If no new values are provided, current values are printed.

colormap reload command reloads all colours from init/colors.txt
Could you make an example with that? In which file does it go would be helpful to know as well. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2014, 03:27:07 pm »

Hang on a goddamn minute did I interpret you right? Are you suggesting that we can map actual distinctive RGB colors to ingame colors like sepia and rusty and amber instead of having to look at the nearest approximation on the 16-color palette?

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TWBT Subtype Finder Utility 1.0
« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »

Hello,

I am very interested in this plugin, but since I am not a very good artist, I thought I could contribute in another way.

I wrote a quick little utility to read through your raw files, and then generate export files with the item subtype numbers.  Hopefully this helps somebody when they are crafting their overrides.txt file.

it was written in AHK, so unfortunately it is windows only.  It isn't very complex, so I'm sure somebody with more knowledge than me could make it for something else.

The download for it is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9086

The download contains the source code, and a compiled EXE that should work for anybody on Windows XP - 8.1.

How To Use:
  • Run the script or executable
  • Point the dialog box to your RAW\OBJECTS folder.
  • Point the next dialog box to the folder you would like the export files to be generated.
  • Give the script the prefix you would like all of your export files to start with.  For instance, 'ModName' would result in: ModName-Ammo.txt, ModName-Tools, etc
  • Make awesome tilesets!

Example:

I want to add more instruments to the game.  I create a new file called 'item_instrument_CustomAdded.txt', and populate it.  I now have 2 raw files with instruments in them, item_instrument.txt (the default one), and item_instrument_CustomAdded.txt.

Spoiler: item_instrument.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sample Export.txt (click to show/hide)

I tested this on masterwork mod partly because it has a complex raw load order with multiple files for item types, but mostly because he has already counted the item subtypes in his raw files, and it made it easy to check my work.  :P

Thanks to Meph for help with figuring out how Dwarf Fortress loads files.  Good luck if you ever try to add custom artwork to all of the Tools!  I found 900+...

Hope this helps somebody!  If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.  I'll start a thread for it if need.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #553 on: July 20, 2014, 05:24:59 pm »

With 'id', do you mean the filename?

No, in OVERRIDE command, tileset previously was identified by number (in the order they added with TILESET command), but now TILESET has new Id parameter and OVERRIDE accepts that id. There's an example in overrides.txt :)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #554 on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:39 pm »

Hang on a goddamn minute did I interpret you right? Are you suggesting that we can map actual distinctive RGB colors to ingame colors like sepia and rusty and amber instead of having to look at the nearest approximation on the 16-color palette?

Sorry no. It's just a command to adjust mapping of existing 16 colors to RGB and reload colors.txt - mostly for modders at the moment so see their changes without restarting DF. Later I hope there will be UI for players as well to select colormap in-game.

Meph, did this answer your question?

But anyway I promised to add support for more colours (and this will remove the 16-colour limit) and I will do that soon.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 184