frustrated at having wasted a hint
- 16 (30.2%)
proud of being smarter then the average gamer
- 10 (18.9%)
indifferent, what's the big deal?
- 12 (22.6%)
I don't use hints. at all.
- 4 (7.5%)
I don't play adventure games. they're boring.
- 11 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You attitide towards adventure game hints  (Read 2310 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
You attitide towards adventure game hints
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:56:58 pm »

Many well made adventure games (or at any rate Text-Based adventure games) will allow you to use hints if you are stuck. I noticed that when I'm able to make progress at a puzzle before getting stuck, and the hint tells me something I already know, it would upset me that a hint is wasted (in most adventure games hints are actually limited by the amount written by the author, not by a global amount of hints you get, so this is purely subjective loss. Though obviously there are exceptions, like the gobliiiins series). I wanted to find out what attitudes other people have.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You attitide towards adventure game hints
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:03:33 pm »

I didn't really get into adventure games until the Monkey Island series (that was basically when I was old enough and had access to a computer to know what was going on I guess) so I don't know much about the text-based ones, but I know the Longest Journey had a hint system online and I would always get annoyed when I had to click through multiple hints to get to the information I didn't know. What really annoys me though is when the hint tells you to just click on some awkwardly draw/placed thing that makes complete sense once you know what/where it is but is just mostly invisible because of bad game design (or maybe that's the challenge?  :-\). I feel like the puzzles should be testing your problem solving not your ability to decide whether something's a parrot or a flower.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:11:07 pm »

Your poll needs more options.

Specifically: Adventure games should be retitled to "ridiculously complex puzzle games". They are too hard. I use a guide every time, for every part of the game, as I don't like spending hours trying to find that one pixel to click on, or trying every one of the hundreds of items combinations, just to continue. Its just not fun, so I use guides with no qualms at all.

Plus, I don't play many adventure games  :P
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

Your poll needs more options.

Specifically: Adventure games should be retitled to "ridiculously complex puzzle games". They are too hard. I use a guide every time, for every part of the game, as I don't like spending hours trying to find that one pixel to click on, or trying every one of the hundreds of items combinations, just to continue. Its just not fun, so I use guides with no qualms at all.

Plus, I don't play many adventure games  :P

I don't play too many, but some puzzles just don't make sense. I have to click on some random thing to reveal what I might be doing? I usually just end up clicking on EVERYTHING whether it seems relevant or not over and over until something happens. If I get stuck for more than 15 minutes then I'm just going to find a guide. One example of an annoying sequence. In 7 days a skeptic you are followed around by a zombie until you take off the railing in the bathroom and hide behind a semi-dark area (they never use this mechanic ever again) in another random room in the game. Maybe some adventure game vets will figure it out, but it just isn't fair that a completely different mechanic (and random ass item) are necessary to continue.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »

I don't remember anything "action-packed" in myst.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 10:19:48 pm »

I don't remember anything "action-packed" in myst.

As far as I can tell, the Gamecenter "death of adventure" timeline goes something like this:

The action-packed Myst introduces casual gamers to the pleasures of Tomb Raider.

<other stuff>

Gamecenter mentions Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight 3 as the last title of note in the genre.  I'd like to use Gabriel Knight 3 to illustrate my alternate theory of who killed adventure gaming.

He is criticizing that actually. Read the rest of the pages of the article for his opinion on that matter. It is very good.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »

Oh, I need to not skim.
 ;D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 10:57:12 pm »

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER
!!&!!

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 12:19:26 pm »

To answer the poll question, I have not once played an adventure game that had a hint system.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »

I love that article posted earlier.  It's the best.
Shoes...

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »

get ye flask
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Nogert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 01:25:57 am »

get ye flask
You can't get ye flask!
The only other option is to leave through DENNIS.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 08:18:54 am »

This is a great article explaining why the Adventure games genre pretty much died out.
I prefer Yahtzee's theory, adventure game never really died, they were from a time when you could either have gameplay or story, as that restriction was lifted they cross bred with other genres.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 02:09:25 pm »

HELP ME CONDOR

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:15:25 pm by Sergius »
Pages: [1] 2