Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 499205 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »

Do you have Steam running on Startup? I find that to be a huge sluggard. Besides that, having multiple things open at the same time can lag you much more than opening them one-at-a-time. There is a program called StartupDelayer that provides this functionality.
I removed steam from startup. Mainly because it tends to bork if I start it up too early.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:49 pm »

Well, that's that possibility eliminated, I suppose.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2013, 07:36:17 pm »

Do you have iTunes at startup?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2013, 03:40:26 pm »

So... all my games will crash after a while (5 minutes to half an hour, roughly). Atm I'm really struggling for what it could possibly be.

I recently rebuilt my computer, so that may be part of the problem.

Because it's only games that crash, and the windows error reporter sometimes (SOMETIMES) mentions a DirectX dll, I thought it might be something to do with that - possibly something related to dxdiag showing DirectX 11 installed when my graphics card (9600GT) doesn't support it. OTOH I read that it shouldn't matter since it's fully backwards compatible. (And apparently Planetside 2 runs on 9.0c anyway)

I have overclocked my CPU (i5-3570k) but I haven't seen it go above 60C when I'm playing games. I have Windows 7 64bit and 8GB memory.

I'm really stumped. Mainly because it lets me play, and then crashes. If the games refused to start it'd be a simpler problem I suspect.

please help :<

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »

Have you (or Steam) installed DirectX 9.0c? While it is backwards compatible, it works better if you have the older directx there as well, I think.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:24 pm »

I have, yes, though I just tried to install 9.0c again and it said there was already a newer or equivalent version there...

I hit the verify integrity button from steam, its adding something now so hopefully that will fix GRID at least. OTOH I've already reinstalled PS2, so idk if it will work for that :/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:01 pm »

Any advice on trying to deal with wireless interference? At least, I think that's what it is.

Where my computer is right now, I can find only one network in range - my next-door neighbor, although I rarely one or two other wireless networks, but these disappear in a couple of seconds most of the time. When I move my computer to the other side of my room, I pick up a few more, but most of those also disappear pretty quickly, except the next-door neighbor's, and all of them(again, except the neighbor's) seem to depend on precisely where I have the antenna oriented.

One of the networks is an unsecured network I'm trying to get, but even if I find it, it cannot connect. Windows Diagnostic Tool says something like "unknown reason"(..."I don't know" is the best possible response from a diagnostic tool, isn't it?), that the computer isn't in range(incorrect considering I can find it, and with a decent signal strength besides), or that there's simply no response. At first I thought it might be possible that this network is blocking me somehow(I'm doubting it, but not saying impossible at this point), but I've gotten the same errors when trying one of the other, password-protected networks, before it asks for a password.

So, right now it looks like interference, and I'm assuming from the next-door neighbor's router, since that's the only one I usually see. Is there anything I can do?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2013, 01:36:40 pm »

your router should automatically change channels when it detects interference. have you tried wiring into your router and changing the channel manually?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »

your router should automatically change channels when it detects interference. have you tried wiring into your router and changing the channel manually?

Not *my* router.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2013, 02:50:11 pm »

Do you have iTunes at startup?
I don't even have iTunes. Whenever I want music I use youtuberepeat.

I'm having some hanging issues too. My computer just hangs for a few minutes, and everything is back to normal.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2013, 03:08:49 pm »

OK I've got a new issue. This has happened twice now. I don't remember what I was doing the first time it happened, but this time I was playing DF. I had been playing nearly an hour and was just thinking that maybe I should save and reload (I've had a few crashes lately and didn't want to lose my progress) when suddenly the keyboard stopped working. Every key I hit just caused a quiet clicking sound from the speakers. I tried other programs and they keyboard wouldn't work anywhere. Couldn't ctrl+alt+del or hit enter or esc or anything. The mouse worked fine, but of course, you can't open the menu to save from DF with the mouse. I tried hibernating, leaving the power off for a few minutes, and starting back up, but no luck. Finally I had to kill DF (with tears in my eyes for all the work I'd lost) and restart the computer. The keyboard worked fine after that. (The last time it happened I also had to restart and it was fixed.)

Any idea what could be causing this? It wasn't that the keyboard was dead - the computer was clearly receiving the signal that each key was pressed, since I heard that soft sound every time. But nothing happened. Even the caps lock key on the keyboard didn't light up when I pressed it - although the Fn keys for brightness and sound and ejecting the CD drive worked fine.

I've got a Dell XPS 15z (much to my regret, not nearly worth the money) and Windows 7. Any ideas at all? If this happens again I want to know if there's a way to fix it without restarting - and of course, better yet would be to make sure it doesn't happen at all.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2013, 06:53:17 pm »

Hmm... that's a laptop? Jesus, only problem I can think of is a short or something... Did you spill liquid on it or something at any time?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2013, 11:44:02 pm »

well you can get a keyboard replacement cheap for that particular model but that mean you will have to crack it open and laptop disassembly sucks

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2013, 12:26:36 am »

Nothing has ever happened to the laptop. No liquid, no damages. It's less than a year old and I take *very* good care of it. And once I restarted the computer everything worked fine.

It seemed to me to be a software rather than a hardware problem. The clicking noise indicated that the computer did know I was pressing the buttons, just refused to accept the input. And the brightness/volume/eject/etc. keys worked fine. I just couldn't input into any software. I felt like maybe I had accidentally pressed some combination of keys that disabled the input, but no idea what they were. I tried every key on the thing and none of them worked.

I've found similar problems by searching Google but they were always permanent, not fixed by rebooting, and the answer generally seemed to be reinstalling keyboard drivers. Right now the keyboard is working just fine, like nothing ever happened...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2013, 12:32:40 am »

hmm, fresh install of windows then?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 348