Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500204 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #735 on: May 21, 2014, 06:43:01 am »

Er, anyone know how to screenshot steam games? Need it for an LP, but alt+printscreen just puts an image of my desktop into the clipboard, the traitorous bastard.

Specific game is Crusader Kings 2, if that helps any.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 21, 2014, 06:44:02 am »

Use F12, it's built into steam.
Alternatively, use Greenshot.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 21, 2014, 08:01:44 pm »

What is a program that I could use to take a video of what is on my screen?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 21, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »

FRAPS is the best one, but you have to buy it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 21, 2014, 08:28:42 pm »

I've heard of people reusing streaming software (ex OBS, Xsplit) as screen recorders as well.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:04 am »

I've used MSI afterburner for video recording, with decent results.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 22, 2014, 10:25:14 am »

OBS can record and works well enough for me.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #742 on: May 22, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

New question, everyone. I'm starting a new job and, beginning around September, I'll finally start earning enough money that I might realistically be able to afford a new computer. (Right now I'm just barely scraping by and getting the bills paid, and the summer will be very lean.) I'm so sick to death of my piece of shit computer (which I have ranted about at great length in the past, so I'll spare you all now) that I really want to get something I won't constantly want to bash against the wall.

This computer cost me about $1500. I expected that for that price, I would get a good machine. (To be fair, the hardware is good, it's just put together in a way that prevents it from functioning properly.) This time around, I am going to do some very serious research so I don't get burned again.

Obviously this is a bit of a long-term question, and surely some things will change between now and when I have the funds to make this purchase. But I want to have an idea now of approximately how much I will need to save up. Keeping in mind that I live in central Europe, where electronics are FAR more expensive than in America (and I'll have to adjust my expectations accordingly), and also I don't really have the option of going to a brick-and-mortar store to talk to humans about the possibilities (language barrier), I'm hoping to at least find a ballpark figure.

Here's what I need. I want a computer that can run most current-generation games. I'm not generally a player of AAA titles and I prefer simple, 2d graphics to 3d ones, but I'm finding that recently, even 2d games tend to make my computer overheat. They're all using fancy graphical effects that take loads more computer power than I would have expected. The other day I tried playing Little Inferno on a whim, and after about 20 minutes the computer overheated and the game crashed. Now, it may be true that the game was actually trying to crawl out of the computer and set me on fire, but that doesn't seem the most likely explanation, and this has happened many times with other games that I never would have expected to need so much computing power. Starbound is a big offender, as are even many Mumjo Jumbo casual games, all the Bit.Trip games, Morrowind, Civ IV... I find that pretty much any new game is likely to cause problems. In the summer, when it's really hot, even with a cooling pad with an active fan I can't play games at all.

I also need to be able to do video work. I occasionally get a job as a VJ (video jockey - I create visuals on-the-fly to match live music and DJs, which takes an enormous amount of processing power). I assume that the kind of hardware needed for games will line up nicely with the hardware for video.

Ideally, I really need a laptop. The video work requires me to take the computer with me, and although my current computer is capable of doing this (I've managed it a few times so far), it tends to overheat after a few hours at most and I have to shut down the video for it to cool off. If I'm going to buy a new computer, it should be able to really replace this one fully. I know that makes it harder to keep cool and probably more expensive, but... it's what I need. And I tried to build a computer myself once and it did NOT go well. I don't have the skills, so I really need something I can just turn on and use.

Also important is a lot of USB slots. As many as possible. And HDMI, though I think that should be standard now. I know that's pretty specific stuff, but it's also pretty critical. I need about 4 USB slots just to use my standard hardware (and right now I've only got 3, so I constantly have to swap stuff out).

So... Can anyone suggest a ballpark figure for this sort of machine? Minimum to get the job done, and maybe a mid-range figure if I find I have enough money? I would go and look at specific models, but based on the result of my last self-researched purchase, I obviously suck at that, so if anyone wants to point out any specific possibilities as a reference, that would be awesome.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 22, 2014, 02:13:38 pm »

high end http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152558
low end http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152559

For the USB situation most i seen on laptops is three and manufacturers will not put on more. since USB 3.0 is on steriods anyways you be better off buying a decent hub for around 40 bucks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 22, 2014, 03:17:11 pm »

For the sort of work you describe, you'd probably be better off rigging a desktop to be portable (not at all difficult, requires no technical knowledge) then dealing with a laptop's inherent drawbacks. The best example of this I've seen is to take a rolling luggage, remove the luggage part, and strap the computer to the frame. If you need a built-in screen for what you do, then you can strap a small monitor to it as well. The resulting package will be roughly the same size as the suitcase you started with, and weigh around 8 kilos.

Compare this model to the high end laptop Tell linked, and the performance advantage becomes clear. I'm not sure how much an equivalent will cost you in your location, but the relative difference should be very similar.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 22, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »

Honestly i would offer desktops but she did specify laptops and nowadays 1000 dollars is a sweetspot for mobile gaming.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:13 pm »

I assumed that she had never considered making a desktop portable, as many don't, and wanted to make sure that she was aware that the option existed. I know several people that have their rigs set up to plug and play in just such a fashion, but they all copied the first one to do it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 23, 2014, 03:55:15 am »

I've skimmed through the past posts on proper SSD usage, and I'm still confused, so any advice is appreciated. Here's my situation: I've got Windows 7 installed on a HDD, and I've just gotten myself an SSD, so I'd like to migrate the OS onto the SSD. Since the SSD shipped with some software for managing files, should I just use that to manage the OS migration, or not?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #748 on: May 23, 2014, 08:06:40 am »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll have a look at these options and do some math.

I appreciate the suggestion to make a desktop portable, but I think we have different definitions of "portable." I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor of a building with no elevator. I have no car. Everything I transport must be something I can carry up and down the many stairs to my apartment, steps on the tram or metro (and something that is easily taken on crowded public transportation without damage or theft), and into the bowels of whatever warehouse I'm playing at. I usually have to walk at least a mile or two in addition to all the stairs and public transport. 8 kilos would give me a sore back-knees for days (I very rarely carry more than 4 or 5 max, and even that is strenuous). And the risk of damage during a trip like that is uncomfortably high. Furthermore, most places I play only have a very tiny area for the VJ to set up. Like, a tiny cage in the back somewhere. Sometimes it's difficult even to wedge a laptop in areas like this (I have a 15" screen and even that is sometimes a little too wide). The idea of hauling in a desktop computer (plus a screen, which I would need) is just... I can't imagine doing it. Maybe next time around.

$1000 doesn't sound bad for a good gaming computer though. I paid 50% more than that for the piece of shit I have now.

I don't suppose there's any way to remove the sweet, powerful hardware from a laptop and put it in another chassis that actually allows air to flow through it, can be opened (and the battery replaced) without power tools, and isn't coated with chrome-colored paint that rubs off on your hands?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 23, 2014, 09:38:07 am »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll have a look at these options and do some math.

I appreciate the suggestion to make a desktop portable, but I think we have different definitions of "portable." I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor of a building with no elevator. I have no car. Everything I transport must be something I can carry up and down the many stairs to my apartment, steps on the tram or metro (and something that is easily taken on crowded public transportation without damage or theft), and into the bowels of whatever warehouse I'm playing at. I usually have to walk at least a mile or two in addition to all the stairs and public transport. 8 kilos would give me a sore back-knees for days (I very rarely carry more than 4 or 5 max, and even that is strenuous). And the risk of damage during a trip like that is uncomfortably high. Furthermore, most places I play only have a very tiny area for the VJ to set up. Like, a tiny cage in the back somewhere. Sometimes it's difficult even to wedge a laptop in areas like this (I have a 15" screen and even that is sometimes a little too wide). The idea of hauling in a desktop computer (plus a screen, which I would need) is just... I can't imagine doing it. Maybe next time around.

$1000 doesn't sound bad for a good gaming computer though. I paid 50% more than that for the piece of shit I have now.

I don't suppose there's any way to remove the sweet, powerful hardware from a laptop and put it in another chassis that actually allows air to flow through it, can be opened (and the battery replaced) without power tools, and isn't coated with chrome-colored paint that rubs off on your hands?
Not really, vary few laptops are customizable themselves in the first place and with the recent move to the ultrabooks its going to be tougher, since i dunno how your laptop is designed i wouldn't bother else risk breaking the stupid thing.

I've skimmed through the past posts on proper SSD usage, and I'm still confused, so any advice is appreciated. Here's my situation: I've got Windows 7 installed on a HDD, and I've just gotten myself an SSD, so I'd like to migrate the OS onto the SSD. Since the SSD shipped with some software for managing files, should I just use that to manage the OS migration, or not?
You're just in luck i just migrated my SSD last night after many agonizing hours :P
I used Todo Backup Free to clone the disk partitions to my SSD, afterwards you have to unplug the old hard drive and run your windows installation disc to repair the boot sector. Also you need to change the sata mode to AHCI or RAID in your computer's bios to fully utilize the SSD functions.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 348