Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500105 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1830 on: July 13, 2015, 08:21:23 pm »

You're kinda gonna want to do that anyway or you end up with Download dirs like I have on the PC with 3500 files :p   If you don't keep up as it goes, going back to cleanup now is scary.  And I DO have 52 directories under it that I *did* halfheartedly sort into, it could have been that much worse  :o

And that's precisely why I need to put them into the right folder as I download them
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: July 16, 2015, 07:08:15 am »

I am running Debian testing with XFCE4 and lightdm.
After login while autostarting programs, the whole x-server freezes. I cannot move the mouse anymore or use the keyboard, preventing me from switching to the terminals.
Claws Mail is started just fine before the freeze happens.

I have no idea where to start troubleshooting with this.
I tried removing Clipman (I saw that at the bottom of… I don't know, the x-session log file in my home folder?) and that didn't help and I suspected BOINC of doing something strange, but removing that didn't do anything either.

Any hints where I can look for some information of what might be causing this?
Taste my Paci-Fist

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 16, 2015, 08:13:24 am »

Sounds like a typical Linux Problem™ – an impenetrable mystery with no explanation or solution in sight. I've been experiencing similar crashes on Xubuntu since 14.04, and absolutely no-one on the Ubuntu forums seems to have a sodding clue. It mostly happens when I'm browsing the filesystem with Thunar, and the error logs seem to suggest that the problem is also occultly related to systemd (not much of a surprise), but otherwise it's utter black magic.

My favourite workaround for now is to use mc instead of Thunar, and of course I'll be switching to another Ubuntu flavour when the next LTS arrives.       

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 17, 2015, 06:39:54 am »

Hmm, having trouble finding some software that does everything I need...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a general video player for android. Something fast, but without visible artifacts / tearing. I can't find any players that are doing the trick. Most of what I want to play are mkv's encoded with h264, sometimes hi10p color.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 17, 2015, 07:16:44 am »

Have you tried MX Player? It has multiple modes (SW/HW/HW+), and I haven't had much trouble with it playing things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 17, 2015, 07:18:01 am »

I'm using that already but having problems with some files. Digital image tearing on scene changes etc. None of the modes made any difference, and my video player on PC plays the same files perfectly. I've decided to try converting the file formats instead.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:20:02 am by Reelya »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 19, 2015, 01:38:49 pm »

How easy is it to use a generic bluetooth receiver (this for example) and get it to work with products which originally came with their own receiver? I have a wireless keyboard and mouse set for which I lost the dongle, and I also have a Logitech F710 gamepad for which the dongle broke. I know where to find the drivers, so is it as simple as finding the receiver in Device Manager and assigning the drivers to it, or am I likely to run into other stumbling blocks?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 19, 2015, 01:48:22 pm »

If it's a Bluetooth device, it won't care what receiver you use. If it's a generic "wireless" device, it won't work with a Bluetooth receiver, as it's likely not Bluetooth.

Edit: The Logitech F710 gamepad is generic "wireless" so it won't work. I'd bet the same is true of your keyboard/mouse set.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:51:24 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 20, 2015, 10:46:11 am »

If its a logitech you are screwed, their receivers don't connect any other device and they don't make spares either. They will just recommend you buying another controller. Go cheap instead and get a 360 controller with the wireless receiver.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1839 on: July 20, 2015, 01:47:11 pm »

Friends, I am in super rage mode. I hate Facebook for many reasons, yet some of my friends insist on communicating using it, so I have to go on there sometimes to keep in touch with them. However, lately I cannot get the fucking thing to work. I have tried three different browsers, but it just will not work. The page starts to load, gets halfway through loading the front page, and then just gives up. It tells me it's loading, but nothing more ever happens. The chat continually disconnects me, as well. I have been at this for over half an hour because I have a message waiting for me (and I've been waiting for a couple of important messages), but I can't even see who it's from. This is standard - sometimes I'll manage to get the messages page open, but when I click a message to read it, it says "unable to retrieve message" or something similar. When I try to send chat messages, it'll appear to be working fine until suddenly it tells me it hasn't sent my past 5 or 6 messages (though I'm still RECEIVING messages just fine).

My internet is not fast. It tops out around 300 kb/s download speed. But I have never had a problem like this with other sites. Web pages load just fine, even ones with lots of scripts and flash and whatnot. It's only Facebook that gives me this bullshit. Half the time it won't even connect at all, just gives me an error message saying the site is unreachable.

I've checked with a few local friends and they all say they have zero problems with Facebook, so it's just me. I tried accessing it at work and it was just fine. It's only at home that I have this problem.

I'm so frustrated I'm ready to check something across the room. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening and what I might be able to do to fix it? I wish I could just stop using Facebook entirely, but for now, that's not an option. Thanks, guys.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:21 pm »

If its a logitech you are screwed, their receivers don't connect any other device and they don't make spares either. They will just recommend you buying another controller. Go cheap instead and get a 360 controller with the wireless receiver.
Yeah, that's what I've done (buying a 360 receiver was a no brainer since I already own 360 controllers, and it works great!) I was just hoping to salvage my F710- the receiver for that is absolute trash, you get a half second input delay if your knees are between the controller and the receiver. And then later it broke. I'd have to say the control pad itself was very nice though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a wired F510.

The wireless KBAM does also appear to be "wireless" rather than bluetooth. Alas, lost dongle!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: July 20, 2015, 01:56:08 pm »

Yeah, that's what I've done (buying a 360 receiver was a no brainer since I already own 360 controllers, and it works great!) I was just hoping to salvage my F710- the receiver for that is absolute trash, you get a half second input delay if your knees are between the controller and the receiver. And then later it broke. I'd have to say the control pad itself was very nice though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a wired F510.

The wireless KBAM does also appear to be "wireless" rather than bluetooth. Alas, lost dongle!
Technically its operating on radio frequency than bluetooth. Their keyboard and mouses uses a Unified receiver which can let you use multiple devices but its not compatible with their controllers. Really stupid but Logitech has pretty much dropped the controller market long ago. Even their steering wheels aren't that big anymore since you you can get new ones with feedback and such.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: July 22, 2015, 04:05:32 pm »

What's the safest way to root a Droid Maxx running Android 4.4.4? and will it adversely affect my ability to use my phone as a phone or access my carrier's 4g network?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:40:18 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 22, 2015, 04:32:25 pm »

What's the safest way to root a Droid <axx running Android 4.4.4? and will it adversely affect my ability to use my phone as a phone or access my carrier's 4g network?
I need a carrier and phone model. Rooting gives you admin rights to edit system files that are normally locked out for a person including drivers and hex settings. Technically its a security risk but as long as you have SuperSU updated you will get a prompt when an app needs admin access. Rooting will not effect your network connection unless you are changing the chipset drivers but this will void your warranty if you ever need to send it back for repairs (abetted some models this can be reversed).

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 22, 2015, 04:41:18 pm »

What's the safest way to root a Droid <axx running Android 4.4.4? and will it adversely affect my ability to use my phone as a phone or access my carrier's 4g network?
I need a carrier and phone model. Rooting gives you admin rights to edit system files that are normally locked out for a person including drivers and hex settings. Technically its a security risk but as long as you have SuperSU updated you will get a prompt when an app needs admin access. Rooting will not effect your network connection unless you are changing the chipset drivers but this will void your warranty if you ever need to send it back for repairs (abetted some models this can be reversed).

Droid Maxx on the Verizon network
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 348