Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500233 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1935 on: August 14, 2015, 11:59:44 am »

I use lubuntu on my phone frequently-- albeit through a VNC client. (The linux itself is actually running on the phone, VNC just provides a new display device, because my phone wont relinquish the framebuffer device for drawing.)

I can do stuff with it that the android versions can never do, because of the overhead that Dalvik brings to the table. Things like running the REAL desktop version of firefox, on a device in my pocket-- Or actually using a real wordprocessor (My phone has a hardware keyboard), or printing-- or using regular expressions in the terminal to do magic foo.  There's a lot of things that having real linux on one's phone empowers one to do.

As for my "Generic computer advice" needed....

Recently, I have begun building a small HTPC out of a Minnowboard Max. (It is a SBC intended for embedded platform design, similar to a Raspberry Pi, but featuring a dual core intel Atom processor (64bit), and a REAL sata interface.)

The problem is that their community documentation is shit. Absolute SHIT.  The documentation says that the device is a 5v system, but in reality it is CLEARLY a 5.5v system. It undervolts and refuses to boot at regulated 5vdc, but boots fine on 6v. (I have a 6v at 2A wall wart that "barely" runs the system and the HDD, but gives out when the USB hub is attached--- and a 5v at 8A wall wart that wont power it on at all!!)

The problem I have is that I need a beefy 5.5v or 6v wall wart power adapter that has more than 5 amps of current pushing power. (I am driving a SATA HDD on the same 5V source inside my enclosure, along with a 4 port USB hub.)

I have searched online, but the best I can find is a 6v 3A adapter on NewEgg.  Anyone have an recommendations?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 14, 2015, 12:19:46 pm »

(the implication being that if you have an Android mobile device you should make every attempt to root it, remove Android entirely, and install Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora or Gentoo or Slackware in it's place - which, for the record, is something that I really do believe; Like all mobile operation systems Android literally has no redeeming qualities [and no I am not misusing the word "literally". I mean to say - exactly - that there is absolutely no reason why anyone should ever prefer a mobile operating system over a desktop operating system on any device ever])
You would use any number of keyboard & mouse centric Linux distros on a touch-only device?
Android's redeeming quality is that it and 99% of the apps for it are designed for a touch-only interface.
You would seriously use fedora on a phone?
Granted it would probably need special drivers so I could use the touchscreen as a touchpad mouse (which I'd much prefer to a standard touchscreen interface anyway) and I'd need either an onscreen keyboard program or a pocket sized bluetooth keyboard (these can be picked up for as little as 15 dollars, and often also have their own touchpad), but once I had those, yes, I'd definitely switch.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 14, 2015, 12:57:21 pm »

Well a quick search shows this one: http://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Regulated-Universal-Converter-Connector/dp/B00ZYWVFXU/  6v "max 30 watt".

Here's a 6v 7a, kind of expensive though http://www.powerstream.com/5V-backup.htm

Oh or this one, 6v 7a, price is right no idea of quality: http://www.amazon.com/Ariic-100-240V-Switching-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00GN1ZNYS/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:59:00 pm by gimlet »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 14, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »

That last one looks promising. I really only need a fraction of that 7A max current load, and then only under heavy system use, or with lots of stuff dangling off the USB port.

The first one is limited to 2A current load, regardless of voltage selection. It has a theoretical max of 30W, when 12v output is selected.  I dont want my board to smoke, thanks. :D At best, it is no better than my current 2A@6vdc source.

I will order that last one. See how it goes.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 14, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

I've got a rooted android tablet, and I'm trying to figure out how to access it's root system files from my PC; I can access them from the crappy file explorer I've got on the tablet, but when I hook the tablet up to my PC via a usb cable it will only let me see the sd card. Anyone know how to fix this?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 14, 2015, 02:05:13 pm »

You need a rooted phone and some sort of ADB file explorer. just don't ask me which one is good.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 14, 2015, 05:48:17 pm »

You need a rooted phone and some sort of ADB file explorer. just don't ask me which one is good.

Does anyone else know of one that's good?

For some asinine reason my device decided to put some files I saved from the internet in the system folders instead in the "memory card" and I want to find some way to move them to my PC before before I try to install a new OS on this tablet
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:07 pm »

Assuming it put them into some sort of download folder, have you tried just moving them to the sd card with your tablet, and then onto your pc?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 14, 2015, 08:18:53 pm »

Assuming it put them into some sort of download folder, have you tried just moving them to the sd card with your tablet, and then onto your pc?

I'm having trouble with the file management program on that tablet; It seems to have problems with pasting, and with searching, which are the two main things I need to do in the root system
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: August 14, 2015, 11:08:13 pm »

Does anyone else know of one that's good?

For some asinine reason my device decided to put some files I saved from the internet in the system folders instead in the "memory card" and I want to find some way to move them to my PC before before I try to install a new OS on this tablet

Personally, I would abuse the absolute SHIT out of mount points.

Things needed:
Root access to tablet with SU installed
Terminal emulator
SDCard

1) In terminal emulator, become super user.

su

2) create a folder that will be the surrogate through which you will access the root file system.

cd /sdcard
mkdir phoneroot

3) mount the root of the tablet at the newly created folder with the --bind option.

mount --bind / /sdcard/phoneroot

4) check to see if we can see goodies inside that folder now.

cd phoneroot
ls

(should see output)

5) Access the root files from that folder using whatever file manipulation method you wish.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: August 16, 2015, 11:50:00 am »

I've got a rooted android tablet, and I'm trying to figure out how to access it's root system files from my PC; I can access them from the crappy file explorer I've got on the tablet, but when I hook the tablet up to my PC via a usb cable it will only let me see the sd card. Anyone know how to fix this?

Android 4? If so the device should show itself like a drive or folder on the PC (Linux? Windows? Apple?) and have at least two folders inside it, the device and the sd. This might take time. But that all depends on what you have. My Android 4.2 (or was it 4.4...) works this way on Windows. My 2 works different.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1946 on: August 20, 2015, 10:35:14 am »

Welp, I usually avoid this thread on principle, but here I am. I acquired a Steam account a couple of weeks back, but the client can't connect to the internet to download the files not bundled in the installer (i.e. all of them) ("Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again").

I've established that it's not a firewall or antivirus problem, it's not an actual network connection problem, launching Steam with -tcp doesn't help, and power cycling my router didn't fix anything.

It looks like the next thing I need to do involves looking at ports, which is a schlep. Is there anything else?

Supporting information: I'm on Windows 7, with an obscure non-American ISP not listed on the 'problem ISPs' Steam Support page.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:24 am »

Does your router have an option for open/restricted NAT? If so, set it to "open". A lot of games (and potentially steam) will thank you.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: August 20, 2015, 06:45:41 pm »

Do I need an existing operating system to install Linux?  I'm getting 'No Boot Device Available' when I try to boot from it, yet on the computer I burned it, the files show up just fine.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: August 20, 2015, 06:55:44 pm »

It means that whatever you're trying to boot from either:
Isn't done properly
Isn't readable by the BIOS
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 348