Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500209 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1965 on: August 26, 2015, 01:49:18 pm »

Have you looked at the ports setup on your router?   This page: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/configuring-router-and-firewall-ports  is what I found looking for battle.net port configs.  On most home networks, having one person change the port forwarding on the router works for THEIR pc, and blocks out everyone else on the network unless that service has a range of usable ports that can be apportioned among the users.

ED:  Rereading, the above link is kind of misleading if you don't read it carefully and look at the portforward.com link they give.  The info on that page is only part of the solution, you DO need to make sure your PC's firewall is letting those ports through.  But like I said, you also have to make sure the home network router/modem is also forwarding the needed ports to the right pc, so look here for the other part of the solution: http://portforward.com/games/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:54:41 pm by gimlet »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1966 on: August 29, 2015, 04:57:38 am »

Well, I have done a little asking around, and Steam has been made to work on three separate PCs on this network; it's only mine that refuses to co-operate, so it's presumably not a ports issue.

The problem seems to extend to most programs that attempt to download more files when the installer runs, since Dropbox, Battle.net, and Steam are all broken.

Edit: I unbroked it, yay! Turns out there was one last setting buried somewhere that I would have sworn I'd turned off months ago.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:38:10 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: August 29, 2015, 02:13:54 pm »

For future reference, what was the setting?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1968 on: August 29, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

For future reference, what was the setting?

Proxy server setting left on in the LAN settings. I forgot about it because it'd been switched off everywhere else, I haven't had the proxy running for over a year now, and it hasn't caused any problems with anything significant until now.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: August 29, 2015, 04:18:49 pm »

Ah yes, that would do it :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: August 29, 2015, 07:10:41 pm »

I'm trying to roadmap some future upgrades to my PC. I'm seeing that RAM is more expensive than I thought, while hard drives are cheaper than I thought. I would not have expected to see a 1TB drive for under $100. Mind you, it has been years since I've had any amount of money to even consider this.

Generally, what should I work to upgrade first? Everything at once? I suppose the HDD should be first, since I've been using it since 2008-2009...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: August 29, 2015, 10:44:58 pm »

What's your actual bottleneck?  Out of disk space,  graphics slowdowns on games, something else?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: August 29, 2015, 10:56:58 pm »

I'm trying to roadmap some future upgrades to my PC. I'm seeing that RAM is more expensive than I thought, while hard drives are cheaper than I thought. I would not have expected to see a 1TB drive for under $100. Mind you, it has been years since I've had any amount of money to even consider this.

Generally, what should I work to upgrade first? Everything at once? I suppose the HDD should be first, since I've been using it since 2008-2009...
If you can't afford 2 sticks of ram maybe just go for one and get a 500gb hard drive. RAM should have matching sticks but its still going to work and 2gb is 2gb.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: August 30, 2015, 06:38:39 am »

It's not that RAM was too expensive, just more than I anticipated. Actually maybe not, I think I paid ~$20-$25 for what I do have, and saw 8GB for $66.

What's your actual bottleneck?  Out of disk space,  graphics slowdowns on games, something else?

I suppose disk space is low, plus worries about the age of the hard drive. I've got 2GB RAM, a dual-core 3GHz processor, and a 1024MB graphics card. I don't know where to start.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: August 30, 2015, 07:10:13 am »

Certainly could do with more ram there, if you have slots for it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: August 30, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »

You could do with more RAM if you're running a 64bit OS. Your HD is over 5 years old and it should probably be replaced now.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: August 30, 2015, 02:57:14 pm »

What actually is the graphics card? "1024 MB" could be anything

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: August 30, 2015, 04:49:55 pm »

What actually is the graphics card? "1024 MB" could be anything

nVidia GeForce 8400s.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: August 30, 2015, 05:48:07 pm »

My philosophy:  only replace stuff that's making me curse, if the other stuff I can live with, save the money because it will (in general) buy an even better upgrade later.  Don't upgrade just for the sake of making some abstract number bigger.  So far, it only sounds like the disk drive size and age is really bothering you.   Don't just chuck the old drive immediately, keep it around as a backup - it's always handy to have some other boot media, although now USB sticks have made that a lot easier (IF you prepare in advance).

The other advantage to not doing unneeded piecemeal upgrades is that you will not be buying "old" technology that will likely not be usable when you upgrade the mainboard (ie obsolete RAM form factors).  Then ideally you can do a "big bang" where you can do at least mainboard,cpu and memory  at once.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: August 31, 2015, 12:53:44 am »

That graphics card is so old nVidia no longer support it with driver updates, and is pretty slow too. If you are playing any remotely recent games it will be slowing you down , and there will be some things it won't run at all (it's only a directx 10 card, some directx 11 stuff will run on it but not all)
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 348