Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500085 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2205 on: November 29, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »

Tbh steam should just implement support for multiple game locations at this point, so stuff like Fallout 4 can be on your SSD for fast loading while stuff like Risk of Rain resides on your hard drive.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: November 29, 2015, 03:35:59 pm »

Tbh steam should just implement support for multiple game locations at this point, so stuff like Fallout 4 can be on your SSD for fast loading while stuff like Risk of Rain resides on your hard drive.
You can do that, you know.
Steam>Settings>Downloads>Steam Library Folders
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: November 29, 2015, 03:37:33 pm »

Neat

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: November 29, 2015, 04:29:26 pm »

I use that for my tablet laptop. It has about 30GB free onboard the tablet and I put a 128 SSD in the keyboard dock. But I split for other reasons, namely what requires a keyboard or has no good touchscreen support.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: November 29, 2015, 05:06:00 pm »

The conversation started with a claim that almost nobody needs anything except an SSD, as 240 GB is enough for anybody.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: November 29, 2015, 08:31:45 pm »

I mean, to be fair, if your only interaction with computers is an office workstation used for youtube and facebook email and word processing that might actually be a valid claim... except no company is going to shell out to put SSDs in their workstations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: November 29, 2015, 09:02:50 pm »

I mean, to be fair, if your only interaction with computers is an office workstation used for youtube and facebook email and word processing that might actually be a valid claim... except no company is going to shell out to put SSDs in their workstations.

To be honest it's a choice between a 120 GB SSD and a 500 GB HDD.
Not sure if smaller HDDs are even worthy of noting and a company could use their computers booting up faster unless they work on space intensive projects. (Graphics. Games maybe?)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: November 29, 2015, 10:19:56 pm »

I just did some quick price-checking and 500GB HDDs are about half the price of 120GB SSDs, if you compare stuff with roughly equal consumer approval ratings.

Like I said, HDD storage is dirt-cheap compared to solid-state.

3. Run Resize Enable

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: November 30, 2015, 02:11:33 am »

To those of you with a >500GB installed steam library who say you couldn't possibly get by with a 240GB SSD, how much of that have you actually played in the past month and how much are you keeping installed "just in case"?

It's like my downloads drive. I recently realised it's a full 1.5TB storage array, and was considering upgrading it, but I've realised there's only ~10GB or so of that that I've actually used recently, and all of that was downloaded recently as well. I should just wipe it and start over, as painful as that might be to do...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: November 30, 2015, 09:20:57 am »

Wiping things and starting over is a terrible idea. Clear out the temp files and installers you won't need instead. If you weren't intending to have it full eventually you wouldn't have gotten 1.5 TB of space, wouldn't you? Thats a pair of hard drives minimum more than you'd had otherwise.
Also, my steam library is actually the size of that ssd. But only because I removed shadow of mordor so I could defrag.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:24:14 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: November 30, 2015, 09:22:11 am »

I just did some quick price-checking and 500GB HDDs are about half the price of 120GB SSDs, if you compare stuff with roughly equal consumer approval ratings.

Like I said, HDD storage is dirt-cheap compared to solid-state.

Well i jsut checked the prices of SDD and HDD in my local hardware store. 500 gig HDDs are around 40-50$ and SSDs start from 45$ so there is osme overlap. But i can't really comment on ther quality of either.
Self promotion below.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: November 30, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »

Are there any decent free programs out there that can force the resizing or minimizing of windows and dialog boxes that don't usually have that option?

EDIT:
for Windows 7
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:14:14 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: November 30, 2015, 03:22:17 pm »

To those of you with a >500GB installed steam library who say you couldn't possibly get by with a 240GB SSD, how much of that have you actually played in the past month and how much are you keeping installed "just in case"?

It's like my downloads drive. I recently realised it's a full 1.5TB storage array, and was considering upgrading it, but I've realised there's only ~10GB or so of that that I've actually used recently, and all of that was downloaded recently as well. I should just wipe it and start over, as painful as that might be to do...
It takes me anywhere from ten to sixty hours of downloading to get most modern games, and I've got a connection good enough to stream in 1080p or play most any game at ~30ms ping. Unless you've got Google Fiber or something it's flat-out retarded to just get a 100-200ish GB SSD and download or uninstall games when you want to play them, with how cheap hard drive space is these days. I'm on a brand new computer, only have ~7-8 games installed on Steam right now, and my Steam folder is 257 GB. That's already more than twice the size of my SSD's capacity. If I wanted to install every game I owned, I'd probably need ~2 TB of space just for Steam.
Literally less than a page ago. Every game I have installed (including stuff like GTA V, WoWS, Armored Warfare, LoL, &c. in addition to Steam) has been played in the past month. I've got close to 400GB of games in total installed and that's just a few of the multiplayer PvP things, a couple RPGs, and Wargame: Red Dragon.

Like, a 240GB would be close to half-full just from the F2P multiplayer stuff and my non-gaming files and programs.

3. Run Resize Enable

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2218 on: November 30, 2015, 03:30:17 pm »

For the Intel Core LGA1155 processors which have been discontinued for a while. What can I expect to happen to any new retail boxes in the next 6 months.

I'm currently looking at the i5-3450s and I'm wondering if
the process will rise, lower or go out of stock completely. Looking at Canadian retailers for reference. Used USD in a previous post as I thought it would be easier for others.
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: November 30, 2015, 08:01:42 pm »

Allright. So i got myself into more trouble. So much that i will probably be replacing the HDD sooner than i'd like to if i can't solve the problem.

I switched GPU Scaling in my radeon settings and everything went black. There was no warning or popups what doing it would do.

Now everything is black and my monitor keeps repeating "out of range".
I tried resetting and reinstalling the drivers in safe mode but no dice. It just remembers the settings. I even tried restoring to defaults but no dice.

The only way i can see working would be a complete system reinstall or somehow getting a monitor that supports GPU scaling (whatever it is) and switching it off.

Any ideas?

Ok saved my hide with a system return point. Disregard my post.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:43:57 pm by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 348