Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3644238 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20775 on: June 12, 2018, 08:33:21 am »

What exemple are you using? Stuff like corporate tax rate and top income tax rate have been going down for decades for exemple.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20776 on: June 12, 2018, 08:41:43 am »

What exemple are you using? Stuff like corporate tax rate and top income tax rate have been going down for decades for exemple.

Social security, regulation of the markets, Fair Labor Standards, Housing Authority. I mean, granted a lot of that has been chipped away at over the years, but it still exists in some form which is better than 1920s America where it didn't exist at all. And some of it, at least, has been built upon. Labor standards are arguably better than New Deal levels.

On a more social scale we've got racial and gender equality on paper (even if it's lagging behind in practice due to pre-equality legacy factors and a few things that just can't yet be worked around.) We're doing a pretty damn good job on gay rights. Universal health care is getting its fair shake at being talked about and Obamacare was, while a failure, at least an attempt to do something. Even a universal basic income seems to be coming within people's lifetimes. I expect there are kids alive today who won't know adulthood without a UBI.

Things ARE moving left, on average.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20777 on: June 12, 2018, 09:26:50 am »

Social security, regulation of the markets, Fair Labor Standards, Housing Authority. I mean, granted a lot of that has been chipped away at over the years, but it still exists in some form which is better than 1920s America where it didn't exist at all. And some of it, at least, has been built upon. Labor standards are arguably better than New Deal levels.

On a more social scale we've got racial and gender equality on paper (even if it's lagging behind in practice due to pre-equality legacy factors and a few things that just can't yet be worked around.) We're doing a pretty damn good job on gay rights. Universal health care is getting its fair shake at being talked about and Obamacare was, while a failure, at least an attempt to do something. Even a universal basic income seems to be coming within people's lifetimes. I expect there are kids alive today who won't know adulthood without a UBI.

Things ARE moving left, on average.

No one would argue that things moved left from the 1920's up to the 1960's or 1970's, but over the last 30 years or so, since the Reagan revolution? Not so much?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20778 on: June 12, 2018, 10:08:25 am »

Thing stagnated a bit after Reagan, but I can't think of anything that took a serious step backwards other than this continual and unsustainable push to lower taxes. A few minor stumbles that might have left us a few inches further right than before the stumble, but at no point have we done an about face and started marching right again. The pace continues to the left, it's just that some people aren't happy with that pace.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20779 on: June 12, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »

So right-wingers are 100% positive that Trump just arranged for the actual denuclearization of N. Korea, because of a thing Trump said as he held up a document that noone has read.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-says-kim-jong-un-will-start-now-on-denuclearization/
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20780 on: June 12, 2018, 12:25:19 pm »

The four points are pretty vague (and it's been mentioned in articles that those points have been said in previous agreements with much stronger language), so, I can see how it could be spun that way.

Also, I think Sen. Tom Cotton basically said that for us to sit down with Cuba, they need to develop nukes. While he has a point as far as nukes go, NK just set a precedent.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20781 on: June 12, 2018, 12:36:45 pm »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20782 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:20 pm »

This was what worried me. Although tbh, I was half expecting Trump to agree to completely pull out of South Korea and Japan in exchange for being allowed to call what Kim is doing "denuclearization", which Trump would then present at home as a double win due to no longer having to pay for a presence over there. And then, 50/50 odds of Trump completely reversing after that, leading Kim to declare talks a failure due to unreliable Americans.

While the absolute worst was averted, I'm still not sure we got anything out of this.

Also, if nuclear summits don't deserve a subtitle, nothing does.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20783 on: June 12, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »

Also, if nuclear summits don't deserve a subtitle, nothing does.

lol. I kind of gave up thinking of new thread subtitles anyway.

This was what worried me. Although tbh, I was half expecting Trump to agree to completely pull out of South Korea and Japan in exchange for being allowed to call what Kim is doing "denuclearization", which Trump would then present at home as a double win due to no longer having to pay for a presence over there. And then, 50/50 odds of Trump completely reversing after that, leading Kim to declare talks a failure due to unreliable Americans.

While the absolute worst was averted, I'm still not sure we got anything out of this.

Yeah, it could have been worse.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:52:20 pm by smjjames »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #20784 on: June 12, 2018, 12:53:50 pm »

Nuclear Summit, Trump Whodunnit

Now we can talk about the investigation and nuclear annihilation at the same time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20785 on: June 12, 2018, 01:04:17 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20786 on: June 12, 2018, 01:26:12 pm »

Well, it's a Trump negotiation, so him getting his win condition was a precondition of the summit. In this case, that win condition was the summit, because now he gets to say that he could do what no other US president could and bring North Korea to the negotiating table. Everything actually negotiable was "little shit" to be magnanimously given away to get "the deal" done. That works in a world where you can always go back and threaten to litigate everyone into the ground unless the other guy gives you what you actually wanted, but North Korea doesn't work that way.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20788 on: June 12, 2018, 01:31:34 pm »

Inb4 Trump actually tries to litigate NK...

Theres always the UN... Oh, oops, we've maligned the UN and treated our allies like crap, so much for the UN...

but North Korea doesn't work that way.

Nor does diplomacy in the real world.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:33:32 pm by smjjames »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #20789 on: June 12, 2018, 02:05:51 pm »

Why don't you put the whole world in a bottle, Donald?
Pages: 1 ... 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 ... 3515