Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 73639 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The unpopular/controversial ideas thread.
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2017, 11:04:53 pm »

That's why baby cows grow into such weak-boned animals: they drink nothing but cows milk.

(I think anyone can see the oxymoron in the idea that milk must deplete bone calcium, considering what milk is, and what it's for).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2017, 11:13:25 pm »

Not you, but it turns out in the "alternative" health area there are anti-milkers who say every glass of milk erodes your bones.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2017, 11:45:22 pm »

I buy "plain" soda, then mix it with my own cordial. Cuts down the amount of sugar heaps and I still enjoy ice cold sodas.

When I started trying that I did look into the health effects of "fizzy water", and it turns out that nobody can find any negative health effects if it's just bubble and water. Sugar/sweeteners account for at least 99+% of the negative effects of soda.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:47:12 pm by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2017, 11:51:54 pm »

I actually enjoy energy drinks, but I know they're probably the most awful thing I've intentionally done to my body. I try to keep it down to once a week or even less.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2017, 11:53:45 pm »

Try my idea with the mixers. I have this ginger cordial, and i can make a substitute ginger beer in minutes, way cheaper and way less sugar than a store one.

I could get a sodastream TBH, but I worked out that the break-even point for that vs cheap bottled soda water is > 300 litres of Soda, and you'd have to use your one starting CO2 bottle two times over with the cheaper refill option before even breaking even. Considering that the Sodastream takes up space, is another thing I'd have to pack if I move, costs electricity to run, and might actually start to break if you used it that much, i decided to stick to the bottled stuff.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:59:25 pm by Reelya »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2017, 02:17:47 am »

I believe that gender is something determined by a person's genetic programming, not by their choice of lifestyle.

That being said, if a chick really wants to pee standing up at a urinal next to me in the men's bathroom, I'm probably just gonna file that one under 'Cool' and move on with my life.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:41 am »

Vitamin-D fortified milk *might* have a positive impact on respiratory tract infections.  http://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i6583

re: cold and viruses. The cause of the disease is still a virus, not cold itself. A link between temperature and immune function has been known for a while, but as far as I know it hasnt been proved yet that it has an actual, significant impact in the population dynamics of the disease: http://www.nature.com/news/cold-viruses-thrive-in-frosty-conditions-1.13025
nevertheless I daresay that the data to date is  enough to suggest that at the very least keeping warm will probably help you fight off the disease *if* you are exposed. But that is a far call from "I got a cold because I went out without my coat".

*in fact going by the article, the general environmental  temperature likely has a bigger impact than whether wear an ushanka or not, unless you're using some kind of air rebreather. Also: when it's cold people tend to stay more time indoors, and more cramped. that probably has an impact too...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:37:24 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2017, 03:16:20 am »

I believe that gender is something determined by a person's genetic programming, not by their choice of lifestyle.

Not genetic programming - hormones are the direct cause. Genes are the indirect link. There's actually a correlation between "cliched gender traits" after birth and testosterone in the womb, but this crosses "gender" boundaries. The advantage of this as a theory is that it explains why gender traits are correlated with biological gender, but it also explains the outliers. However, while there are measurable correlations between testosterone exposure and "gender typical behavior" within each gender, social gender does play a role in amplifying and normalizing the differences throughout your life. But your pre-natal brain development's pattern (part of which is chance itself) sets your natural "tendencies" towards different types of gender-behavior, and it's strong enough to show a mesaurable signal even against the background of social/environment effects.

Let me give a real example.

Finger length ratio is highly correlated with pre-natal testosterone, so men have a different finger length ratio than women. This is backed up with reasearch. For lesbians, their finger length ratio is more towards the "male" ratio than non-lesbian women. Drilling down into the data further reveals that that was only "the average lesbian". "Femme" lesbians actually have the normal female finger length ratios, while "Butch" lesbians have a much more masculine finger length ratio. So what you can see is that within lesbians specifically, gender expression / sex roles are in fact highly correlated with testosterone exposure in the womb. It's pretty good science because things like the exact ratio of your finger lengths aren't something we code with any specific cultural meaning. However, you have to note that finger-length ratio is only itself correlated with testosterone exposure, so the true correlation between testosterone exposure (if you could go back in time and measure that) and these behavior traits is likely to be a lot stronger than the finger-length ratio studies.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:37:25 am by Reelya »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2017, 05:04:12 am »

That being said, if a chick really wants to pee standing up at a urinal next to me in the men's bathroom, I'm probably just gonna file that one under 'Cool' and move on with my life.

Having seen this a fair few times at festivals I file it under gross but understandable. Sometimes you've just got to go & urinal queues are a heap quicker.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2017, 05:27:56 am »

Having seen this a fair few times at festivals I file it under gross but understandable. Sometimes you've just got to go & urinal queues are a heap quicker.

What's so gross?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2017, 05:42:49 am »

easy there john calvin, it ain't that weird

edit: tangentially related controversial opinion, but most dudes should pee sitting down too anyway. i don't really give a shit about dudes leaving the seat up (tho i am of the opinion that you should always put the seat and cover down, it really doesn't save you any time to skip this step, don't be lazy), but i've known too many guys who stink up the place because they can't aim for shit. if you can't get your piss in the water like a civilised person, sit your ass down and take a moment to think about what a failure you are

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2017, 06:01:14 am »

eh, it just sounded nice in my head. i suppose some prominent puritan figure might've been a better choice, but i honestly don't know of any. describing genitals as the stuff of nightmares in general just sorta feels like a 16th century christian thing to do

now, teratomas. those are the stuff nightmares are made of

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2017, 06:09:30 am »

I'd prefer to not have any human pee anywhere close to me, specially if its "splashing zone" close.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2017, 06:31:17 am »

you're in more danger of splashing when taking a dump tbh

also fucking shit i can't believe i completely forgot about john kellogg

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2017, 06:52:50 am »

too many guys who stink up the place because they can't aim for shit.
Oh, they definitely should be sitting down for that... ;)

As to seat/etc up or down, we men do sometimes have a prior complacency (or current urgency1) which means that the fractions of the second required can be vital, even/especially with the ability to manually crimp the outlet pipe as the very last-gasp inhibition of release. 

But this is just me. And I have not fully explored the needs of women to perhaps similarly require the seats (but not lids!) down as an urgent default, through their own urgencies (during which their hiking up and down of clothing is mostly not possible to prep whilst making those last few steps).

1 I have a 'territorially anti-moderated urinary urgency' thing, sometimes.  Five minutes from home2, I'm ok.  I've been ok enough not to need (or usefully make use of) any public facilities/handy bushes I could pop into all this way.  Two minutes from home, there's an urge3.  One minute from home, the urge is urgent. As I'm unlocking the doors I'm worried and I'm soon dashing up the stairs and possibly multitasking the preparatory fly-work if I'm not in polite company.  Add the stuff with the seat-raising (or extra disrobement necessary to accomplish a sit-down) and I'm in danger of not surviving the process with the grace I would wish.

2 Or selective 'home surrogates' that I consider my own, like the natal/parental house, to some degree my workplace, etc..

3 With the distinct feeling (if not proof) that hanging around in the shopping centre/wherever for another five minutes would not have brought on the need so quickly.  I personally theorise a psychosomatic offshoot of the ancestral need to 'mark' one's territory, affecting the hindbrain!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57