Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 996240 times)

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6840 on: December 30, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »

A there a way to forcefully apply syndromes to your dwarves in a timely manner? The only ways I can think of involve spiking beer (not drunk very often) and gassing, probably by workshop (player management intensive).
Any thoughts?
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6841 on: December 30, 2013, 07:42:53 pm »

A there a way to forcefully apply syndromes to your dwarves in a timely manner? The only ways I can think of involve spiking beer (not drunk very often) and gassing, probably by workshop (player management intensive).
Any thoughts?
There are many ways. What exactly are you trying to do?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: December 30, 2013, 08:01:51 pm »

Any thoughts?
There are many ways. What exactly are you trying to do?
I'm trying to develop a potions/poisons/herbalism mod (no plugins needed) and whilst poisoning can be done through projectiles evaporating (any better way you can do it though?) and gassing via oversized weapons in weapon traps, I'm trying to find a way to imbue the dwarves with beneficial syndrome effects, eg no pain. The syndromes would be time limited and the easier to dose it to your dwarves the more useful it gets.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Sig

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6843 on: December 30, 2013, 09:15:04 pm »

When you say (no plugins needed), does that mean no dfhack? Because spatter-add, autosyndrome and itemsyndrome sounds very fitting for what you plan.

Otherwise its really only drinks with syndromes, and they are hard to micromanage.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: December 30, 2013, 09:17:35 pm »

I have almost absolutely no knowledge of modding, but I really want to add a race. The main problem is, I have no idea how to do any of this and I'm having a lot of trouble reading and understanding the guides.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure this is even where I'd ask for help with this, but considering that I'm an absolute newbie to modding who just had a cool idea I couldn't figure out, I'm not sure where else to put it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6845 on: December 30, 2013, 09:26:25 pm »

I have almost absolutely no knowledge of modding, but I really want to add a race. The main problem is, I have no idea how to do any of this and I'm having a lot of trouble reading and understanding the guides.

I'm not sure this is even where I'd ask for help with this, but considering that I'm an absolute newbie to modding who just had a cool idea I couldn't figure out, I'm not sure where else to put it.
All of this is possible. Check out the Antmen from vanilla DF, they already have a caste system included, it makes a pretty good example. The colors are DESCRIPTORS, and can easily be reduced to only red. Check out... almost any creature file. Dogs have tons of different descriptors for example.

Its really a lot easier if you copy+paste something you see and alter it to your needs, than writing it from ground up.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: December 30, 2013, 09:33:56 pm »

All of this is possible. Check out the Antmen from vanilla DF, they already have a caste system included, it makes a pretty good example. The colors are DESCRIPTORS, and can easily be reduced to only red. Check out... almost any creature file. Dogs have tons of different descriptors for example.

Its really a lot easier if you copy+paste something you see and alter it to your needs, than writing it from ground up.

Yeah, I'm not very good at doing things without seeing how they're done first, so it's good to know I can pour through the files and find the stuff if I know where to look. That said, the general structure of it still confuses me a bit. I am not a clever man.

When it comes to making a caste belong to both genders, do I just add both tags? When it says things like "[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]", am I supposed to do that after all the castes, to indicate what all the castes share in common, or do I just have the racial appearance and add the castes on top of it? Like, does it matter where I place them in the racial entry?

Edit: Never mind, I think I've got it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:49:18 pm by Kay »

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: December 30, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

When you say (no plugins needed), does that mean no dfhack? Because spatter-add, autosyndrome and itemsyndrome sounds very fitting for what you plan.

Otherwise its really only drinks with syndromes, and they are hard to micromanage.
Thanks. I'll look into dfhack (which was what I wanted to try and avoid), but I'll start with spiked drinks. I'll make the syndromes last at least until the next drink so all you gotta do is keep them drinking from the right barrels (IDEA: Have the stuff produced in a special workshop. Lock military in barracks. Have workshop deliver to them only). That way it still requires a bit of effort. Anyway, even a dfhack version will include spiked drinks, for reasons *ahem* 'unknown'.
Sig

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6848 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:10 pm »

I have a little problem with a creature I wrote. A immobile monolith, that doesnt want to do the interactions it can do. It should raise corpses around it, but it does not. The raise-corpse interaction itself works well, I use it on other creatures as well, but the Monolith doesnt use it. Maybe because its missing a brain, eyes, something like that?

Code: [Select]
[BODY:MONOLITH]
[BP:UB:core:cores][UPPERBODY][THOUGHT][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:BODY_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:10]
[BP:LB:body:bodies][CON:UB][LOWERBODY][CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]

[CREATURE:MONOLITH]
[DESCRIPTION:A black monolith. It seems to hum in a frequency just below hearing. Tendrils of green smoky light search the area around it, gently touching and probing its surroundings for anything that once hold a spark of light, animating it to eternal unlife.]
[NAME:black monolith:black monoliths:black monolith]
[CASTE_NAME:black monolith:black monoliths:black monolith]
[CREATURE_TILE:244][COLOR:3:0:0]
[FREQUENCY:0][CANNOT_UNDEAD][BENIGN]
[FIREIMMUNE][WEBIMMUNE][MAGMA_VISION]
[SMALL_REMAINS][NOT_BUTCHERABLE][IMMOBILE]
[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP][NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NO_FEVERS]
[NOBREATHE][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION][NOBONES][NO_DIZZINESS]
[BODY:MONOLITH]
[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:12:15000:NONE:hum:hums:humming]
[SOUND:ALERT:20:8000:NONE:resonate:resonates:a resonating tone]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:BONE_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:BONE:BONE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BONE]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:35000]
[CASTE:GENERIC]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:RAISE_CORPSE] => should animate dead.
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Animate corpse]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:10]
[CDI:VERB:hum:hums:NA]
[CDI:TARGET_VERB:shudder and begin to move:shudders and begins to move]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MAKE_VAMPIRE] => to make them friendly to undead.
      [CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
      [CDI:FREE_ACTION]

[INTERACTION:RAISE_CORPSE]
[I_TARGET:A:CORPSE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_ITEM]
[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL_CREATURES]
[IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_ANIMATION]
[IT_FORBIDDEN:NOT_LIVING]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:corpses]
[I_EFFECT:ANIMATE]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Animated corpse]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:165:3:0:0:FREQUENCY:2000:1000:START:0]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:300:1000:TOUGHNESS:300:1000:START:0]
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:60:START:0]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:LIKES_FIGHTING:MISCHIEVOUS:START:0]
I tested in in Arena, it can resurrect corpses. Dont know why the AI wont use it in fort mode.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: December 31, 2013, 12:06:00 am »

When it comes to making a caste belong to both genders, do I just add both tags? When it says things like "[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]", am I supposed to do that after all the castes, to indicate what all the castes share in common, or do I just have the racial appearance and add the castes on top of it? Like, does it matter where I place them in the racial entry?

Edit: Never mind, I think I've got it.
Caste IS a gender. I mean, you can make either genderless caste or a male/female caste. Hermaphrodites don't work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: December 31, 2013, 06:38:36 am »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make some fun but stupid weapons to mess about with in adventure mode, but I'm having some trouble with one of them - I'm trying to make a hammer that has attacks that do little physical damage, but send enemies literally flying into walls/trees etc.

The problem is, so far, I only seem to be able to make enemies fly 1 maybe 2 squares from the user.

I'm testing various things, but with values of 100,000,000, i'm still only getting 2 squares of launching.

So:
What can I do to make a weapon send a foe flying? Or is this impossible - if so, why?

Thanks in advance guys

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: December 31, 2013, 07:25:03 am »

The material it's made from - the denser, the better usually. But that's pretty likely to do more damage as well...
Sig

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: December 31, 2013, 07:28:17 am »

Yeah I tested that, tried platinum and silver as well as adamantine, but to no avail. To be honest, there wasn't that much difference between the heavy and non heavy materials, the damage seemed to be linked closer to the Pen values and the Velocity values than anything else...

Could weapon size, or material size affect anything?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: December 31, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »

About tissue styling tokens:

Is 0 a valid number for the min/max preferred length?

Can I specify multiple preferred styles?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: December 31, 2013, 01:45:06 pm »

Alright, so after a bit of frustration I just decided to take some inspiration from Raptor's Civ Mod's kimonomimi (This mod I'm making is for personal use only so I saw no harm in it... I think?  I'm generally using just the race I'm making + everything but the races from Raptor's civ mod.)  And everything seems to be working... except for the fact that only the bows and bastard swords on the weapons list are appearing on the embark list, so I can't embark with axes or picks to well... get anywhere whatsoever.  What would cause that exactly?

Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 544