Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125154 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1395 on: April 07, 2010, 03:52:59 pm »

in my fancy new fort i was  working hard to make awesome, i was going to raise the land value with some engravings done by my legendary engraver (legendary before he went fey) what i got:
a masterful engraving of an elf, the symbol of the fences of justice
 -my civ.

facepalm headdesk

You could claim it's a mutilated elf corpse. The nobody will be able to tell the difference. Especially if you paved a giant E on your dining room floor and gave it a bauxite/kaolinite/elf blood background.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 07, 2010, 04:26:20 pm »

My soldiers wouldn't spar with swords as assigned.  I didn't think it was that big of a problem until the Naked Mole Dogs attacked.  Still, the legendary wrestlers killed the dogs - it took some time but wasn't too bad until there was just one left.

My guard captain spent over three months beating up that one naked mole dog.  Nobody else would jump in on the fight to assist, despite being assigned to do so.  Eventually, she starved to death right before the naked mole dog died.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 07, 2010, 04:32:07 pm »

I flooded my fort with a pressurized water well. Just to give a general sense of my fort setup, it is built around a huge 3 by 3 stairway, with an open shaft (for dropping things) in the middle. This shaft spans from ground level to -97. The majority of my fort is built around the cave at -52 with my farms and such there, with a bit more at -97 for metal forging with the magma sea. The fort design is mostly vertical, with it expanding out no more than a screen at its widest (at the housing section). The lake which supplied the well was at level -26; it was supposed to have a diagonal pressure stop to keep it from exploding, but due to a small error corrected by removing the diagonal and then forgetting to replace it afterwards, there was nothing to slow it down. Within 1 step of opening the doors to let water into the well, the pressurized water from the large underground lake filled most of the z level the well was in (due to the well being at around -40).

By the time a dwarf managed to get to the lever (since the water was coming from above the main living areas and flooding the main stairway), z levels -97 through -53 had been fully flooded, with -52 partially flooded and minor flooding on levels all the way up to about -38. And since the shaft was open to the sky during winter, there is now a massive pillar of ice filling the shaft up to -38. Only about 3 died due in large part to a legendary miner who sacrificed himself while saving most of the city. He was trapped on a level with a cave at -76, and by mining out a wall got rid of all water above that level. Unfortunately for him, the flow of the water (which by the way seems to be much more powerful than before) pushed him down a level and about 20 tiles across an obsidian covered magma pipe (covered from previous attempts at draining by him standing in doorway while mining, releasing small amounts of water) and finally into the pipe itself. He fell to about -100, and survived with only bruising to his upper and lower torse, before finally bleeding to death from the magma he was also drowning in. Through his actions, over 1/3 of the fort's dwarves, trapped in the dining hall, were able to escape.

I have now saved all survivors, and attempting to drain the rest of the fort by opening a hole to the magma sea. And if I'm lucky kill some magma men while I'm at it!

@Talanic: make sure you have an arsenal dwarf set up. Also, I don't think dwarves actually spar anymore. They just do various drills.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:52:10 pm by alway »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 07, 2010, 05:04:11 pm »

I discovered that the class entry in ammo can be whatever you want.  Replace bolt/arrow/blowdart with what you want in a ranged weapon's raw entry and you can create a custom weapon that only shoots custom ammo.

I then quickly rushed to the modding IRC to announce my discovery.

[17:52] <Greiger_> You can set a custom ranged weapon to only use custom ammo
[17:52] <Lofn> *try
[17:52] <Squeegy> has one lofn
[17:52] <Squeegy> not dumb
[17:52] <Lofn> ..
[17:52] <Squeegy> greiger: ........
[17:52] <Lofn> the one you just posted doesn't
[17:52] <Lofn> oh wait nvm
[17:52] <Lofn> Greiger_: you noob.
[17:52] <Greiger_> ...did everyone already know that...?
[17:53] <Lofn> yes
[17:53] <Greiger_> fuck
[17:53] <Lofn> it's been the case since 2D dorf fort

BLAST!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:06:03 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 07, 2010, 06:46:53 pm »

I discovered that the class entry in ammo can be whatever you want. 

I totally want a crossbow that shoots cats.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 07, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »

I spent all my time busily training my dwarves, making sure I had a well balanced expedition party, going so far as to build pointless walls out 20 tiles long at random to train my mason while the miner dug hundreds of tunnels, and what happens?

The first immigration wave. High master Cook. High Master Mason. Master Miner.

Ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 07, 2010, 08:14:31 pm »

Discovered that even in the new version Dwarfs are of the opinion that they are fireproof.
To the doctors credit he did put a bandage on the burnt !!!Dwarf!!!, shame he forgot to do something about the !!!'s.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:10 am »

I spent all my time busily training my dwarves, making sure I had a well balanced expedition party, going so far as to build pointless walls out 20 tiles long at random to train my mason while the miner dug hundreds of tunnels, and what happens?

The first immigration wave. High master Cook. High Master Mason. Master Miner.

Ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

You do know you are lucky, don't you?
Out of 23 immigrants (total) I've got only 10 with any skills higher than adequate. Useful skills, that's it. Instead I have High Master Crutchwalker and Grand Master Soapmaker.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 08, 2010, 12:32:08 am »

My champion wrestler decided it would be a great idea to take on a skeletal giant eagle while holding her baby (40d). Poor thing lost a leg and broke some bones while the mother emerged unscathed.

That baby is now a child, paying rent for a room and STILL in a coma.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 08, 2010, 05:24:01 am »

Plumbing system, when I read the thread about the new water system in DF2010.

So far, I would poke a hole into the subterranean river or the edge of the aquifer, make the water drop all the way down to the ground floor through a staircase or the like, and then build a massive pump stack from the bottom level all the way up to the top of the mountain - each z-level would take water from that pump stack, if I needed it on that z-level for something.

Now I realized that I wouldn't have needed to pump the water from the bottom back up to the z-level of the subterranean river at all... all I had to do would've been to poke diagonally into the vertical shaft.

This means that I could have saved a whole lot of FPS on the last-to-one fortress, given that the subterranean river was about 50 z-levels above the ground level.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:00 am »

Started on a nice, calm site with my usual setup (including two miners). Designated an entrance, death walk, barracks and main shaft... soon after that I said "screw it" and designated the entire fortress to be dug out, including the main shaft down, a big meeting all, a big dining hall, a big hospital, the farming area atop the shaft, the workshops, the storage areas, the apartment complex with huge 2x3 quarters and huge penthouses on top, the prison and the vault (for artifacts)....

New migrants...
Then the booze was gone...
New migrants again...
Food is running low...
A kobold thief keeps pestering us. Luckily all migrants are around the wagon and keep him away.
A caravan arrives. I quickly build a craftsdwarf shop and churn out stone crafts to buy more food.
Still no booze...

Two fifth of the fortress were roughly dough out when I saved to go to bed.

Next time I do that I bring six miners...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:05:44 am by TigerPlushie »
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 08, 2010, 11:04:30 am »

Playing, embarking, my cats explode. Whoooooooooooooooops forgot that one....
Same fort, a year later, Orcs come on the map... and explode.

I guess I was a bit overexicted with hometherm...
Is there a way to get immigrants to explode like that? They're eating all mah foodstuffs!

I'd say my biggest facepalm was when immigrant waves started arriving... on my island fortress. Wonderful.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 08, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »

Failed to notice a back way into my fortress. Goblins got in and killed two, wounded six. Another dwarf subsequently went insane. Unfortunately one of the wounded was also my medical dwarf...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Halfwing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 08, 2010, 02:59:19 pm »

The first time I started playing, I was using a written tutorial. When it said to start hollowing out the mountain... I started to hollow out the mountain...

Not like, carving a few corridors, and carving the rooms.

I made the entire mountain a giant hollow cone... No rooms, nothing. just one big empty cone.

On the bright side, I learned about how to build walls far earlier then I needed too.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 08, 2010, 03:41:55 pm »

So my miner gets both knees broken when he's mauled by a yeti...

Looking at his profile, it turns out he likes crutches!  I wonder if he'll still like them once this is over...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 729