Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125142 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7095 on: October 12, 2012, 07:00:23 am »

When every time I say 'ah crap' out-loud while playing, I have to explain to my wife why a fire breathing platypus forgotten beast just torched my tailor, and 2 of my archers in an underground cavern.
(seriously, imagine those words coming out of your mouth at like the office or something... insane)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: October 12, 2012, 04:59:35 pm »

Beautiful huge burial crypt made, smoothed, engraved, coffins placed ... but I forgot to enable burial, and now that insane berzerk Shearer is rotting on the main staircase, filling the entire core with miasma ...

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: October 12, 2012, 07:45:59 pm »

My game froze after three years of major work.
I just abandoned. I'm not gonna bother with this crap.

Still, it was shaping up to be one of my most successful fortresses...
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: October 12, 2012, 10:36:34 pm »

My game froze after three years of major work.
I just abandoned. I'm not gonna bother with this crap.

Still, it was shaping up to be one of my most successful fortresses...

Seasonal autosave is your friend.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: October 13, 2012, 05:01:46 am »

A dwarf has drowned in the river because I didn't know that bridges can't support floors adiacent to them.

That's not the facepalm moment though. The dorf was a peasant with no useful skill, prolly born on the fort (aye, that's a bad thought!) so he can stay dead for all i care.

The facepalm moment is that said Avuz Udaroslan had just enough turns to get out of the river... and die.

What. The. Fuck.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: October 14, 2012, 05:13:38 am »

Quicksaved in DFhack and copied my fort so I can take a look at the Legends.
Turns out I ended up abandoning both fort.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: October 14, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »

So, first of all, a goblin ambush comes in and ends up wounding one of my soldiers. No problem, I have a hospital.
Then, a forgotten beast decides to say "Hi" to that wounded soldier, and ends up killing him. In some kind of miracle, the doctor didn't die.
Next, a few more ambushes and some babysnatchers come. Not a problem, until I find out that dwarves are drinking out of the river, right next to the ambushes.
I look at the stocks screen, and I only have 29 units of drink left.
My military goes and kills some melee ambushes, then get slaughtered by goblin crossbows. All of them.

I ragequit the fort.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: October 15, 2012, 12:12:20 am »

I ragequit the fort.

Wait. What? Enhance.

I ragequit the fort.

ENHANCE.

I ragequit the fort.

... But there was still living dwarves. Living, sane dwarves. You are failing if everything isn't fire, blood, insanity, vomit, and miasma.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: October 15, 2012, 12:24:50 am »

I ragequit the fort.

Wait. What? Enhance.

I ragequit the fort.

ENHANCE.

I ragequit the fort.

... But there was still living dwarves. Living, sane dwarves. You are failing if everything isn't fire, blood, insanity, vomit, and miasma.

I'm sorry. But this is just beautiful.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: October 15, 2012, 12:55:30 am »

On the matter of not giving up, the first instance of the succession fort Inkedcarnage failed horribly when someone died (forgot name) and MrWillsauce probably berserked to harvest everybody's intestines. NotaPirate, the last dwarf left in the fort, brained her (MrWillsauce was a female dwarf).

The official fort abandoned and reclaimed, but I downloaded the save and continued brewing, farming, and things. Progress is minimal since she (nearly everyone in the fort are female) always had her hands full with farming and building coffins. Later three farmers migrated to the smoking ruins and now we're working to bury everyone.

tl;dr I saved the fort with a single dwarf.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: October 15, 2012, 02:15:34 am »

A Forgotten Beast decided to crawl down through my irrigation system and deconstruct the floodgates in my adamantine harvesting rooms.
It then proceeded to swim up and chase my dwarves around until my military killed it, taking down a mason with its deadly blood (though for some reason it says he was killed by a cave blob).

And to top it all off, for reasons I don't completely understand, one of my magma forges has magma periodically spewing up through the holes so that my metalworkers can't complete it.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: October 15, 2012, 03:10:25 am »

A Forgotten Beast decided to crawl down through my irrigation system and deconstruct the floodgates in my adamantine harvesting rooms.
It then proceeded to swim up and chase my dwarves around until my military killed it, taking down a mason with its deadly blood (though for some reason it says he was killed by a cave blob).

And to top it all off, for reasons I don't completely understand, one of my magma forges has magma periodically spewing up through the holes so that my metalworkers can't complete it.

Is your forge below the natural level of the magma and above a magma source or being fed by pumps?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: October 15, 2012, 11:26:28 am »

If it's periodic spewing then the tile is probably above Magma Flow and below its natural level. Is there a pipe on your map?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:13 am »

When the most recent dwarven caravan entered my fort's trade plaza and unpacked, all my dwarves - every single one with a hauling labor enabled - dropped everything and stormed the trade depot, ransacking the horrifed caravaneers' stocks and carting off every strand of thread and bolt of cloth they owned. They charged out in a multicolored mass of greed, and flowed back towards the newly established office of the Dwarf Surgeon General.

I now have more fabric than I know what to do with, or wouldn't know, if any of it were left outside of the hospital for general consumption. It was the most impressive display of dwarven coordination I have ever seen.

...if only they could get themselves together enough to fight the goblins, this fort might have a shot.

Yeah, that's why you never put a container in your hospital. Dwarves will overstock it with every goddamn scrap of material a hospital might want.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:59 am »

If it's periodic spewing then the tile is probably above Magma Flow and below its natural level. Is there a pipe on your map?
Yes, there's a magma pipe into the third cavern. Also a volcano. I suppose this is happening because of the way magma respawns?
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 729