Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125093 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7605 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:11 am »

I used channel instead of up/down stairs by accident. Man, I think I lost around 3 dwarves... 3 out of my 7.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: April 18, 2013, 02:06:55 pm »

After several years of playing DF on and off, I just realized that making wood blocks out of logs produces more than one block per log. :o
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7607 on: April 18, 2013, 02:13:00 pm »

After several years of playing DF on and off, I just realized that making wood blocks out of logs produces more than one block per log. :o

This. Only for stone.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: April 18, 2013, 05:00:00 pm »

This. Only for stone.
Wait. Wood logs produce more than one block? I read on the wiki only stone produces more than one block per stone.

When I first found out that crafting stone to blocks was the most efficient for building, I ragequit an entire fort at the thought of all the raw stone I had used up that could've been turned into blocks. A bit harsh of a reaction, but it was a disposable fort.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:21 pm »

This. Only for stone.
Wait. Wood logs produce more than one block? I read on the wiki only stone produces more than one block per stone.

When I first found out that crafting stone to blocks was the most efficient for building, I ragequit an entire fort at the thought of all the raw stone I had used up that could've been turned into blocks. A bit harsh of a reaction, but it was a disposable fort.

I am second-hand facepalming. Why not just deconstruct -> blockify -> reconstruct? You could have had some FUN! in trying to keep from caving in a whole tower on top of your dwarves!
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: April 19, 2013, 07:59:28 am »

This. Only for stone.

Um... I just tested it again, and it looks like it doesn't, after all. :-\  When I tried it last night, I could've sworn I ended up with way more blocks than I ordered made, but maybe I was just confused.  Does this count as a double-facepalm? :(
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: April 19, 2013, 11:56:08 am »

This. Only for stone.

Only since the last "major" release... so... 1 year ago? But yeah, I tend to forget /ignore that anyways. Them lazy masons should always make more blocks for my defense perimeter wall (around the map, three to five wide so that we can stand on it leisurely!), might leave the centre hollow for ammo storage and stuff...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: April 19, 2013, 09:55:04 pm »

Um... I just tested it again, and it looks like it doesn't, after all. :-\  When I tried it last night, I could've sworn I ended up with way more blocks than I ordered made, but maybe I was just confused.  Does this count as a double-facepalm? :(
When I was building an aboveground fort as part of a no-picks challenge (picks had been modded out of the game) I insisted on having the carpenters refine all logs into blocks before building anything, under the assumption it'd be faster and resource efficient. It slowed construction a bunch due to waiting for blocks to be made and it seemed I wasn't gaining anything from the process but I did it anyway. In retrospect that was dumb.

So yeah, I did this too. Facepalms all around!

I am second-hand facepalming. Why not just deconstruct -> blockify -> reconstruct? You could have had some FUN! in trying to keep from caving in a whole tower on top of your dwarves!
That was too meticulous and unexciting of a prospect for me. The fort has long since been lost, so meh.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: April 20, 2013, 02:22:57 pm »

OK, I have another one.  My current fortress is being sieged by the goblins.  Inside, dwarves are dying by the dozen, the hospital is full and there's a full-blown tantrum spiral going on.

Is it because the goblins got in?  No, they were nicely ground into goblin paste by my trap corridor while all this was happening.

The actual reason for the deaths and mayhem is that some idiot dorf, for some incomprehensible reason, decided to climb down into my quantum stockpile while his friends were dumping shitloads of iron bars into it.  And then, of course, everyone else rushed in to rescue him, getting mauled by falling iron bars and other random junk as well.

Clearly, my old quantum stockpile design has turned into a dwarf blender in this version.  I'm going to stick to minecart stop exploits from now on.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:25:18 pm by vyznev »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: April 20, 2013, 04:51:52 pm »

I just carved a huge, curved sky bridge for trade wagons to enter over a chasm, beneath which goblins, following a shorter path, would walk through a dodge-me and be cast into a maze of weapon traps. Hewn from the natural stone, it was to stand as a monument to the power of dwarven ingenuity and excess.

I forgot wagons can't move diagonally.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: April 21, 2013, 12:49:02 am »

Today I learnt that barrels can be made out of metal.

I'm gonna cry myself to sleep now.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7616 on: April 21, 2013, 12:51:18 am »

You'll be even sadder when you find out that Rock Pots are the same as barrels and can be made from simple stone.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: April 21, 2013, 02:42:04 am »

You'll be even sadder when you find out that Rock Pots are the same as barrels and can be made from simple stone.

Oh that I knew wayy before I learnt that barrels can be made of metal.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: April 22, 2013, 08:48:59 pm »

Biggest facepalm waste for me yet:

cost me 3 candy stones. D:

1.3mill worth of useless crap.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: April 23, 2013, 12:53:31 am »

I don't think I've ever had an actually useful candy artifact.
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 729