Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125105 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7620 on: April 23, 2013, 02:10:20 am »

I had Dusksbrighten, which I call Darklight.
Addy long sword, encrusted with garnet and star sapphire, menacing with Hydra bones.
Stolen by a fucking kea.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:18 am »

Since when is dwarves Killing goblins useless?
That earring should be put in a hall where all dwarves can be inspired to slay more Goblins!

Kuxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: April 23, 2013, 04:32:29 am »

Today I learnt that barrels can be made out of metal.

I'm gonna cry myself to sleep now.

You'll be even sadder when you find out that Rock Pots are the same as barrels and can be made from simple stone.
Wh.. wh.. what? This can't be... In my deep underground fortress beneath an arctic ocean all of my wood has gone to barrel production to keep my Plump Helmet-reserve large enough to feed my castle for a couple of years in case of a castle-lockdown due to filthy hippie elves goblin sieges. I'm short off everything that is made exclusively out of wood. While my fortress currently consists of three children, since my trained military died to some poisonous forgotten beast, and the rest of the adult population was conscripted USSR-style - I'm sure these three survivors will with the aid of rapid Rock Pot production bring my fortress prosper and glory!

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:33 am »

Today I learnt that barrels can be made out of metal.

I'm gonna cry myself to sleep now.

You'll be even sadder when you find out that Rock Pots are the same as barrels and can be made from simple stone.
Wh.. wh.. what? This can't be... In my deep underground fortress beneath an arctic ocean all of my wood has gone to barrel production to keep my Plump Helmet-reserve large enough to feed my castle for a couple of years in case of a castle-lockdown due to filthy hippie elves goblin sieges. I'm short off everything that is made exclusively out of wood. While my fortress currently consists of three children, since my trained military died to some poisonous forgotten beast, and the rest of the adult population was conscripted USSR-style - I'm sure these three survivors will with the aid of rapid Rock Pot production bring my fortress prosper and glory!

rock pots and jugs are a god send for places lacking in wood. which happens to be my current embark site. ROCK POTS FOR THE WIN!

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: April 23, 2013, 06:52:25 am »

For places completely lacking in wood AND coal, even rock pots fail to save the dwarves from sleeping in dirt, while all the wood acquired from traders gets burned to get military somehow equipped.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:44 am »

Addy long sword, encrusted with garnet and star sapphire, menacing with Hydra bones.
Stolen by a fucking kea.

LOL..how? Please tell me the wielder died in glorious battle outside and then the kia stole it. I mean...you wouldn't just leave it in a stockpile would you?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:59 am »

Stolen by a fucking kea.

I had Meng Oarsounded, the adamantine chain leggings made by Meng Oarsounded.
I had another adamantine chain leggings made shortly after that called the something Pyramid of somethings. Lost both invading HFS.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: April 23, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »

Turkey got imapled by a spear launched from a bridge being drawn. Did not know that was even possible...I had a good laugh, but I feel sorry for the turkey. :(

Kuxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: April 23, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »

It's time for some dwarven science.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:23 am »

Tried channeling out an aqueduct for magma (magmaduct?) that would flow into a channeled out pit. I made a mistake somewhere and the magma flowed directly into my fortress and into my dining hall. So much death... the only survivors were my miner and a dwarven child who had been possessed. I need to re-evaluate my fortress layouts.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7630 on: April 24, 2013, 12:03:14 pm »

Tried channeling out an aqueduct for magma (magmaduct?) that would flow into a channeled out pit. I made a mistake somewhere and the magma flowed directly into my fortress and into my dining hall. So much death... the only survivors were my miner and a dwarven child who had been possessed. I need to re-evaluate my fortress layouts.

I guess your dwarves weren't prepared; when you're moving magma around you should always have an...

Exit strategy.

>.<

Sorry, it had to be done.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: April 24, 2013, 11:15:03 pm »

Turkey got imapled by a spear launched from a bridge being drawn. Did not know that was even possible...I had a good laugh, but I feel sorry for the turkey. :(
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
Maladict dropped his crossbow, which fired straight up into the air*...

*And failed to hit anything, especially a duck. This is so unusual in situations like this that it must be reported under new humor regulations. If it had hit a duck, which quacked and then landed on somebody's head, this would, of course, have been very droll and would certainly have been reported. Instead, the arrow drifted in the breeze a little on the way and landed in an oak tree some thirty feet away, where it missed a squirrel.

I think a turkey is close enough, don't you?

Barek Longboe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: April 25, 2013, 11:12:25 am »

I saw some raptors and pulled the nearest lever, it was the lever for my floodgate to stop the water of a nearby moat to fload into my fortress, it was my first fort that was acutally doing well.

The first time i encounterd !!FUN!!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: April 25, 2013, 11:24:45 am »

i lost a dwarf recently...it was the second adult dwarf to die. He was just a peasant without any friends but i felt it was such a waste that he had to die. It was so stupid though because i set the grate as a restricted traffic area and ordered deconstruction but he fell in anyway due to walking where the restricted traffic area was, and where the grate was being deconstructed.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:19 pm »

So...goblin ambush. It happens every now and then. That's why I have walls and moats.

I've just finished digging a new, bigger moat to expand the available surface area. The ambush runs into some of the native fauna (giant desert scorpions...which I'm planning to fill the moat with :P) and gets badly mangled. One survivor dodges into the moat and lands bruised, but still able to fight.

...right next to a dorf who got stuck down there after I removed all the ramps. My attempt to get him out there was abandoned when the 'ambush' panic button sent everybody but the soldiers into their bunkers.

So the dorf (miner), being a civilian, starts to run away.

The goblin follows. And keeps following. Round and round and round...

...they managed 6 full laps of the moat before my marksdwarves got there and managed to stop laughing long enough to put a bolt through the goblin's head.

The scorpion, by the way, was also watching the whole thing with what I have to assume was dry amusement, from the other side of the moat.
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 729