Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125083 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7665 on: May 03, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »

This is more of a "Why the fuck does it work that way" moment as opposed to a self facepalm moment, but WHY oh WHY is it that if wheelbarrows exist, then dwarves refuse to haul without them?

I seriously had to forbid every single wheelbarrow because in addition to the above, stockpiles can only use three wheelbarrows at once, even if you have a max-size stockpile. -.-
Make a bunch of tiny stockpiles and set each to have 3 wheelbarrows.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »

This is more of a "Why the fuck does it work that way" moment as opposed to a self facepalm moment, but WHY oh WHY is it that if wheelbarrows exist, then dwarves refuse to haul without them?

I seriously had to forbid every single wheelbarrow because in addition to the above, stockpiles can only use three wheelbarrows at once, even if you have a max-size stockpile. -.-
Make a bunch of tiny stockpiles and set each to have 3 wheelbarrows.

But that's effforrrrttttttttt.  *whiny voice*

Dwarves won't use wheelbarrows for a stockpile if you set the stockpile to use 0 wheelbarrows.

Ah.  It's still stupid that it doesn't let me use more than 3 for a huge stockpile though, wheelbarrows are in fact really nice.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: May 03, 2013, 04:43:46 pm »

My hunter then decides to take a shot at it and hits my farmer in the heart. (he gets lucky with friendly fire... *facepalm*)
DF doesn't have friendly fire for ranged weapons.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: May 03, 2013, 05:30:15 pm »

modded projectiles for more "FUN", didn't think it was cause a problem this early.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: May 04, 2013, 12:56:41 pm »

Argh, goddamn broker. He was on break, and guess what, he was utterly convinced right in the middle of the goblin lancer ambush squad was a nice place to rest. Well, he got his rest, but it ended up a lot longer than he anticipated. Especially annoying was that it was really 'on break' idiocy - everything in the area was blanket-forbidden - and he brazenly ignored an emergency station order, because apparently it was much more urgent to go out there and eat some spears.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: May 05, 2013, 10:29:12 am »

Hi!

The agreement disappears from the screen when the liaison shows up again. And since that happens pretty much at the same time as the caravan arrives, waiting until they show up and deciding "let's check and see what they wanted this time" doesn't work.

But yes, in the in-between months, it is very handy.

As for during trade, my advice is to move all the goods you can part with to the trade depot. The items the merchants want will be listed with higher prices in the trade screen (and you can see the real price by looking at the item in detail in the trade screen, 'v', I think). In past versions, elves sometimes also paid higher or lower prices for certain decorations. Since the higher prices depend on their desire to get the goods in percentages, they are usually not round prices like the normal prices objects have (20, 100, 400, 480, ...), so if you see something like 362 as a price, you probably have something the merchants care for and should check. This way, you can always get the most out of each bargain.

Yours,
Deathworks

Nebullaron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: May 08, 2013, 02:26:25 am »

Not exactly a facepalm moment, but... well a walled corridor full of weapon traps is the first line of defense in my new fort, SearingArches. So at a certain point I was fancying creating a +1z level of walls for the hell of it. Guess what, the top of the first level of walls was littered with goblin and troll arms, legs, heads.... There was even a head stuck in a tree about 10-15 squares to the side of the wall, how that happened I cannot even fathom... Should I cut the tree down ? Or leave it as a warning for future sieges? :)

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: May 08, 2013, 10:28:06 am »

There was even a head stuck in a tree about 10-15 squares to the side of the wall, how that happened I cannot even fathom... Should I cut the tree down ? Or leave it as a warning for future sieges? :)
Leave it. Unless you get necros. They'll reanimate it and... You know what, leave it. Especially if you get necros.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

Have marksdwarves permanently overlooking the tree. When a necromancer comes by and reanimates it, the head will immediately get a face full of bolts and be deanimated. When the necromancer who is still standing nearby reananimates it...

Would probably be more efficient with a carefully-placed 1x1 chamber with a hammer trap and a corpse, but you may as well do something with your head-in-a-tree.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: May 10, 2013, 07:09:43 pm »

This is a rope reed fiber thong. All craftmanship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with limestone, studded with adamantine and encircled with bands of clay and capybara leather. It is made from rope reed fiber cloth. This object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber, violet spessartine and horse bone.
On the item is an image of Onol the Fiery Mountain, the deity of volcanos, fire and metals depicted as a male dwarf in rope reed fiber. Onol the Fiery Mountain is screaming.
On the item is an image of Boltpregnant the adamantine crossbow in zinc.

I can't blame Onol for screaming. What is worse, this fort has another artifact undergarment with an image of a different artifact adamantine crossbow  ::)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: May 10, 2013, 08:26:36 pm »

This is a rope reed fiber thong. All craftmanship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with limestone, studded with adamantine and encircled with bands of clay and capybara leather. It is made from rope reed fiber cloth. This object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber, violet spessartine and horse bone.
On the item is an image of Onol the Fiery Mountain, the deity of volcanos, fire and metals depicted as a male dwarf in rope reed fiber. Onol the Fiery Mountain is screaming.

I can't blame Onol for screaming. What is worse, this fort has another artifact undergarment with an image of a different artifact adamantine crossbow  ::)
Well the xbow's not called Bolt-Pregnant for nothing :D

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: May 11, 2013, 01:17:01 am »

it's not a crossbow, it's a codpiece :P

obsidian919

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:16 pm »

Not learning how to trade for an anvil long after I hit 100k wealth and 80 dwarves. Oddly enough, the hill titan that came was easy. Goblin ambushes nearly killed the entire fort.
Creating a dynasty of dwarven leadership and seeing their bravest sons grow up to claim glory far in excess of their humble beginnings as parasitic booze leeches.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: May 11, 2013, 06:16:14 pm »

A thong depicting the deity of volcanoes and fire brings to mind the olden days, when lepers had to cry out "unclean! Unclean!" wherever they went.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: May 11, 2013, 08:18:47 pm »

Forgot to guard an unfinished wall that lead into the heart of my fortress.

3.. 2.. 1.. An Ambush! Damn them!
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 729