Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125053 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9555 on: December 22, 2015, 02:05:34 pm »

Always remember to save your game before you try to savescum  :(

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: December 22, 2015, 08:01:12 pm »

Started using macros for repeating designs, like bedroom planning.
Found macros work even in trading screen, much easier now to buy all those food items.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_Keymaps#DF_macros
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: December 23, 2015, 08:16:16 am »

Macros are good even when you don't want to save them. It means that if you have a fiddly sequence of keystrokes you want to repeat you can instead mash Ctrl-P a bunch of times. I use them a fair bit for lever linkages (eg when I built a bunch of bridges in a row, so now I have to repeatedly scroll down 11 times to get to the next one to link).
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: December 23, 2015, 09:18:12 am »

mash Ctrl-P a bunch of times

You can also use ctrl-u + number to set the macro to repeat a certain number of times, up to 99, I believe.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: December 24, 2015, 08:27:29 am »

Well, speaking of face palms... TIL, I guess.

English is weird.

SlothPajamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Hear eloquence : Strong Need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: December 26, 2015, 10:24:31 am »

This was a few days ago but, I probably should have expected that retiring my fortress in order to have an adventurer travel and settle there would cause some problems.
Unretire the fortress only to find the adventurer apparently died of thirst, and a bunch of human bums were hanging around outside in the icy wastes of the glacier.

The best part was that i believe somehow during the retirement period a bartender managed to get into a lethal barfight with a goblin, and during the brief course of history that had passed, the dwarf and goblin managed to mortally wound each other with what i imagine were punches to each other's lungs.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:54:31 pm by SlothPajamas »
Lurking since 2013, i think.
Likes axolotls for their resemblance to a shining sun.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: December 27, 2015, 04:14:32 pm »

With cancellation spam from piercing an aquifer, it's easy to miss other cancelations if import.

'Urdim Vabokingish, Ranger cancels Bring Item to Depot: Interrupted by Rhinoceros.'

Cue me looking at the combat logs.
26 pages of the gal punching the poor thing and passing out.
The Rhino has half a page of dented, bruised, torn open, cut open parts, and half another page of scars.  "...His right rear leg bears the marks of numerous old wounds, the chief among them a very long straight scar...'.

No idea how the dwarf survived a fight with a rhino, including passing out on numerous occasions.  But I think I'll get the military involved.  They at least have weapons.  The gal is training up Fighter, Striker, and a few other skills, so may be recruited. (Yeah, I'm equal opportunity with military)

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: December 28, 2015, 07:57:36 am »

With cancellation spam from piercing an aquifer, it's easy to miss other important cancellations.

...Such as those resulting from accidentally piercing another aquifer. Luckily I put a fortification at the map edge in the bottom level of the crypts, or it would have flooded half the fort before I noticed. As it was, one of my (luckily empty) stockpile areas is flooded. Cost me my best miner ( :( ) too, and now my main staircase (and everything around it, and half the crypts) is muddy - anyone know how to clean it so trees won't grow? I don't want to have to put constructions everywhere. Would (clearing out the dwarves and) dropping magma down work?

English is weird.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: December 30, 2015, 04:04:14 am »

On an embark with silver, copper and lead. My weaponsmith gets a mood, and inspection of his preferences reveals he likes war hammers. I forbid copper bars, to ensure the hammer is as heavy as possible, but I must have made a mistake as he the workshop shows 2 silver bars without the [tsk] icon. A while later, he goes bezerk and is struck down immediately.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: December 31, 2015, 02:19:57 pm »

I just realized that maybe having one grower/brewer, 10x10 farm plot AND "brew drink from plant" on repeat isn't the best idea.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: December 31, 2015, 09:26:39 pm »

Simple operation:
Put bait on a rope.
Wall it in with the traps.
Open the front door so everyone outside paths to the bait across the traps.

Except the bait kept escaping.

Looking at jobs after one of the escapes, I noted: 'Pen/Pasture stray cat'
Yeah, the bait was from my first two cats that I'd penned in the stockpiles early on to avoid them wandering into trouble where I was puncturing the aquifer.

As a reminder to self, remove pets from pens before putting them on chain.
//Torrenal

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: January 01, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »

With cancellation spam from piercing an aquifer, it's easy to miss other important cancellations.

...Such as those resulting from accidentally piercing another aquifer. Luckily I put a fortification at the map edge in the bottom level of the crypts, or it would have flooded half the fort before I noticed. As it was, one of my (luckily empty) stockpile areas is flooded. Cost me my best miner ( :( ) too, and now my main staircase (and everything around it, and half the crypts) is muddy - anyone know how to clean it so trees won't grow? I don't want to have to put constructions everywhere. Would (clearing out the dwarves and) dropping magma down work?

I'm pretty sure it does. Magma returns "muddy" floors to their original non-muddy material after it evaporates.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: January 01, 2016, 11:26:06 pm »

Having caged a dragon does not mean you are safe...
This one managed to break into my fort for general chaos after escaping its cage.  My military, having been stood down was not nearby, because I stood them down when the dragon ran into the trap.

Yeah, cages will melt in fire.

//Torrenal

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: January 02, 2016, 10:47:37 pm »

Forgot about a forgotten beast that had shown up, about 6 minutes later five reports came in about dwarves dying showed up. I quickly scrambled my military to find out that most of those were my from my military including a legendary spear dwarf whose face got burned off....Rest in pieces udin.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: January 02, 2016, 10:59:07 pm »

So, I was just attacked by a coral hill titan. With webs. It decided to enter the fortress through the hole for a waterwheel that powered a millstone, instead of entering through the clearly demarked entrance with bridge traps, minecart cannons, and military. I had planned for this eventuality, and locked down my farms to prevent it from getting into my fort.

That bugger was the fastest Titan I have ever seen.

By the time a dwarf had pulled the lever, it was standing on the bridge, which promptly deconstructed. And then it stopped. It waited for my marksdwarves to get there, to start shooting at it. Then It launched its first web and killed half of a squad by force of impact. It charged in and killed the remaining (webbed) marksdwarves.

It skurried through my kitchens and into my tavern, where the rest of my military and about 20 visiting mercenaries waited. Everybody charged in, and spent about a page of logs bashing in its head with silver maces and chopping at its limbs with steel swords. By the end of it, every single one of the titan's body parts were wounded - either fractured or broken. Then it killed everyone. This thing couldn't even stand up, but it was more than capable of goring every last soul in the tavern.

After the bloodbath, it spent its time hunting down every citizen that did not make it to the bolthole on time, which included all of my miners. All of my citizens were trapped in that dormitory, and they couldn't even dig their way to freedom. And the Titan was once again waiting.

I opened the emergency lockdown and all of my citizens streamed forth to meet the beast. Leading the charge was Dastot Gearsummer, Mason. He met the foe with a single punch. Where silver maces, steel swords, and hundreds of bolts had failed, a single punch from an unskilled mason slew the beast.

As I rebuild the fort, Dastot shall wear nothing but the finest silk, and have a tomb made from the Titan's bone's (or whatever a coral quadruped has).
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 729