Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125162 times)

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9840 on: July 23, 2016, 03:53:54 pm »

Wagons keep breaking themselves ON THEMSELVES. This has been the leading cause of my forts being retired/abandoned, once this cycle starts it never ends. Armok cursed suicide wagons.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: July 26, 2016, 03:42:03 pm »

Imprison merchants. Find out axedwarf caravan guard didn't get locked in. Open doors so that axedwarf hopefully gets in. Merchants get out instead, and immediately start berserking.

Result: a caged merchant, a dead merchant and a dead water buffalo. In a reanimating biome.

Many a palm was faced.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: July 27, 2016, 02:57:12 am »

started 43 with LNP and used nebulatron's embark profile
ordered trees to be cut down, but nothing happened
thought game fault -> save restart game, but problem still exists
thought corrupt world -> started new world, but problem still exists
i created a few more worlds until i remembered that wooden axes couldn't be used for cutting trees anymore :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: July 29, 2016, 09:30:12 pm »

Oh FUCK me. So I discovered why I have a fuckton of willow spears and no raw adamantine spears. You know how normally only obsidian is usable for stone weapons? Turns out if you use the details screen to specify the desired stone, it makes a wooden weapon instead. Which normally isn't REQUIRED unless you mod more types of stone to be usable for that, but you can indeed replicate this bug in vanilla.

Issue reported here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9943

Guess I'm gonna get my fucking raw adamantine spears the old-fashioned way, by using stockpile link fuckery to ensure the fuckers use the right stone.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: August 01, 2016, 05:25:54 am »

My woodcutter dropping a tree on my other woodcutter exploding his leg into gore...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: August 01, 2016, 10:32:38 am »

My woodcutter dropped a tree on himself

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: August 02, 2016, 01:16:06 pm »

This was on an older version of the game, but the memory still sticks with me as my first instance of Fun. I started up a new fort, among my firsts since I learned the basics. I decided to experiment with a different layout than usual, where all the workshops were aligned in parallel rows along the length of a hall. No doors or anything to separate them, just one big hall full of shops. At the far end of the hall, opposite its entrance, was a recently-built well. I had already had some trouble building said well, due to some bad constructions orders and then the water freezing. But everything eventually panned out, and my fort was running smoothly.

That is, of course, until the werebadger attacked. I still have no idea how it got inside, but at any rate, by the time I noticed the beast it was in the midst of my workshop hall. Since I had yet to have any problems I was without a military force, and had to promptly draft as many dwarves as possible. They were mostly lacking in any martial skills and resorted to pummeling the thing, receiving surprisingly few injuries in return. The werebadger quickly turned back into its regular form, a human, and proceeded to sprint as fast as he could to the nearest exit: right down the well.

Though the water wasn't terribly deep, I suppose the injuries he sustained after transforming kept him from being able to swim. He died shortly thereafter, contaminating the well with his blood and causing a cloud of miasma to annually rise up and fill a large portion of the hall. I wasn't actually sure how to extract the corpse without drowning some of my dwarves too, so I just abandoned the place. I've been spacing things a bit farther apart since then. :P
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

TeeJeepie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: August 05, 2016, 06:44:53 am »

A danger room I designed with nearly 500 wooden training spears (it took a LONG time to create) in 43.05 put 20 dwarfs fully clad in metal armor in hospital with one pull of the lever, because I forgot that there is a new mechanic that accounts for the force applied by weapons. ha ha. they all got knocked unconscious... I felt awe-full... when they recovered I put them back in and the same thing happened... The danger in this room is too high, too high... I keep putting them back in for some reason...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: August 07, 2016, 02:10:27 pm »

Welp my dwarves lost a giant bat IN A CAGE!!!!  >:(

Corune

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Make them all fish. All of them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: August 07, 2016, 08:10:49 pm »

The first time I played DF I regenerated the world map three times because I didn't realize that sand was "soil"... It just goes to show, RTFM. ;P
Dead Fortresses: 7

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: August 07, 2016, 08:30:18 pm »

The first time I played DF I regenerated the world map three times because I didn't realize that sand was "soil"... It just goes to show, RTFM. ;P
"There's a manual?" -- Ralph Hinkley
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: August 09, 2016, 10:45:21 am »

I created a huge hallway between the Surface and the Fortress. I made a hallway covered with booze(in case of dragon, It'll make them explode), with bridges airlocking it out. Then a weapon trap that causes them to dodge into a pit. then they come to the room where the archers one level above kill the dudes, while the people get stuck in traps and stuff. then after that they have to go down a hallway while the archers continue shooting at them. then there's a bridge in case they survive. so I was renovating the barracks with the view to the outside, where the archers train, and can shoot at outside enemies. I was renovating the roof to be glass windows so that they wouldn't have cave adaption, when suddenly a small army of giant keas came into the fort by the hole in the roof, and began massacring the fort. did I mention that I hadn't made any armor yet?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: August 09, 2016, 10:55:46 pm »

I remember once catapulting a... fisherman, I think, and a cat into the air with my old fort's drawbridge. the fisherman lived, but the poor little kitty fell into the chasm we called a moat. Sadly it didn't survive.

I also remember have some (very particularly stupid) dwarves climb up trees, and either died of starvation or dehydration.

Those drunken idiots...
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: August 09, 2016, 11:10:19 pm »

I also remember have some (very particularly stupid) dwarves climb up trees, and either died of starvation or dehydration.

Those drunken idiots...

In my current fort (which I need to fire back up), I have a corpse in a tree that I have been meaning to memorialize for a while now.  It seems, however, that I cannot cut the dang thing down.  I guess I need to look up that particular bug.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: August 09, 2016, 11:17:41 pm »

Those drunken idiots...

In my current fort (which I need to fire back up), I have a corpse in a tree that I have been meaning to memorialize for a while now.  It seems, however, that I cannot cut the dang thing down.  I guess I need to look up that particular bug.

Yeah. It might have something to do with creatures approaching the woodcutters- that fort was situated in a savage forest, where badger men were fairly uncommon.
But as a precaution: deforest the entire embark site!
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 729