Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125163 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #840 on: January 07, 2010, 07:40:19 pm »

Finally figured out a couple weeks ago how to move past stationary guys in Adventure mode.  Go prone, crawl past.  I already knew that critters have to drop prone to occupy the same space as someone standing, but never put 2 and 2 together.  Doh.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 07, 2010, 09:23:59 pm »

I recently decided to put a well into my barracks, so wounded dwarves would get water a soon as they needed it. Right? Wrong. Two seconds after the well was installed, a champion wrestler decided to take the first bath of his life and dive into the 3 z-level deep well. As he floundered about on the bottom level, I hatched a daring plan. I sent my best miner to dig a series of ramps down to the base of the well. Then, he tapped a hole wide enough into the tank for the champion to crawl back up onto dry land. The miner made it too, and I decided he would face a grand funeral when he finally fell in battle (I always draft my miners when under siege).

Then he fell into magma and died, setting off a tantum spiral started by the champion he saved.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 08, 2010, 04:56:06 pm »

Still learning how to break through aquifers.

/facepalm /facepalm /facepalm

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 08, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »

I gave up on building well.I tries many times and all the times I fail. One of the fort was around 10 years which is pretty high for me since i like killing my dwarfs. I got bored and decided to make a well but I ended up flooding the stockpile floor than the bedrooms and than the workshop floor...
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 08, 2010, 06:36:24 pm »

I gave up on building well.I tries many times and all the times I fail. One of the fort was around 10 years which is pretty high for me since i like killing my dwarfs. I got bored and decided to make a well but I ended up flooding the stockpile floor than the bedrooms and than the workshop floor...

Errr...alright, how did you fail at this task? Explain to me.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 08, 2010, 07:04:04 pm »

Well, first he started on a map with water.

Second, he wasn't scared into a corner by it.

Percival

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 08, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »

I found the blue rock and immediately began preparing for the demands of the incoming king. I have royal apartments and a mausoleum carved out already, but . . . I forgot that my Dwarven Civ happens to be run by a Goblin Queen. Ah well. I can cage her and turn the throne room into a royal zoo.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 08, 2010, 07:44:28 pm »

...a royal zoo.

Wow, most royal zoos are zoos for royals, not zoos of royals.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 08, 2010, 08:12:31 pm »

You haven't seen our zoos.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 08, 2010, 10:31:59 pm »

When I dig channel I usually dont check do see whats under the soon to be channel so I dug the channel and under it was my fortress which got flooded by an endless amount of water.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 09, 2010, 12:37:58 am »

The way I see your situation (Mephansteras), it seems that it is just serving the purpose of training dummy to your dwarves. Exploit that.

I don't know if it's possible to cause dwarves to break off attacking unless they somehow lose sight of the enemy, which could be a problem. Sometimes they'll even ignore starvation or thirst to keep going.

You can undraft them. When they hit legendary, odds are they'll be able to hurt it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 09, 2010, 02:11:14 am »

When I dig channel I usually dont check do see whats under the soon to be channel so I dug the channel and under it was my fortress which got flooded by an endless amount of water.
Ah. I always check first, and lay out my moats and wells based on what's under them. Plus, of course, I build wells over cisterns fed from a river. The only times I seriously worry about being flooded out are when I forget about open spaces and diagonal waterflow.

GuyonBroadway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 09, 2010, 09:57:17 am »

"You know i might just make an obsidian tower!"

La la laaaa oohhh there's the vent!

*Happily sets up obsidian factory*

"Doing all this on the first seven dwarfs. I dunno why people say it's hard!"

*fire imp pops up to say hi!*

*FACEPALM!*

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 09, 2010, 10:51:52 am »

"You know i might just make an obsidian tower!"

La la laaaa oohhh there's the vent!

*Happily sets up obsidian factory*

"Doing all this on the first seven dwarfs. I dunno why people say it's hard!"

*fire imp pops up to say hi!*

*FACEPALM!*

This is why all of my starting miners are also masons.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #854 on: January 09, 2010, 12:44:35 pm »

Ah. I always check first, and lay out my moats and wells based on what's under them. Plus, of course, I build wells over cisterns fed from a river. The only times I seriously worry about being flooded out are when I forget about open spaces and diagonal waterflow.
I always make that mistake, and it's cost me 3 forts so far.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 729