Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multi-level Surface Tree Farm experiment  (Read 3246 times)

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-level Surface Tree Farm experiment
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:52:24 am »

I was inspired to attempt this after discovering that placing constructions on a newly forged obsidian floor and then removing them will cause the floor to revert to its original biome. In addition, I learned from the wiki that once the dark subterranean attribute has been removed from a tile, there is no way to replace it, even after pouring obsidian on in. I figured that this means I could produce some light above ground soil tiles above the original soil level in a fertile biome.

The only unknown was what tile an above ground obsidian floor would revert to, as there is no natural tile there to begin with.

I have conducted a small scale test and have proven the method to be successful above the surface level.

As you can see, there is now grass growing on the level above the original ground level!

Directly below, the experiment was complicated by the obsidian stones covering the whole place. However, after some time, grass started appearing as predicted.

Now that I have proven the feasibility of multi-level surface forestry, I think its time to flood the world with magma.  ;D

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Re: Multi-level Surface Tree Farm experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:02:50 am »

I'm sure Toady will eventually fix the bug where removing constructions reverts the tile underneath to soil, but I hope when he does so that he also adds a way for constructed roofs to be covered in soil. A high-ground tree farm would be incredibly awesome.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:04:01 pm »

I'm preparing a giant tank of magma above the world, and I think before I pull the lever I'll flood the world with water.
THE WORLD MUST BE ENCASED IN OBSIDIAN!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:25:27 pm »

Ooh. Would it in fact be possible to construct floating islands? I think cast-obsidian is equal in density to upsidasium.

The Kobolds would love that. Have fun trying to rob that place.

It would be pretty awesome for a megaproject to reproduce the floating continent of Zeal from Chrono Trigger as well. That would be epic. If only 3Dwarf fixed that cast obsidian no-display bug *sigh* :(.

But yeah, with this info, the dwarves will now own the skies. Unleash the HFS and observe from the sky. As well, nobles will suffer drop-execution. MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(Of course, so it's still usable, it may need to be anchored with supports.)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:28:44 pm »

don't think of them as supports think of them as anchors that keep the floating land from floating away!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 08:37:46 pm »

Well of course. Supports are dense enough to be able to hold it down, and they can also be built in a chain-like configuration. After all, the I's are in the right form, just add 2 eyelets to each piece and link them together.

Now, how do we get everything onto the island before Boris and Natasia steal it?

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:46:25 pm »

You could also remove cave-ins from the init file.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »

You could also remove cave-ins from the init file.
Let me add that to the facepalm moments please...

Aw screw it, :facedesk:, I had some interesting ideas to use that required no cave-ins to look/work properly. I didn't know you could do that. :starts recollecting past ideas:

I'm going to make a mostly self-sufficient airship to get to anyone's floating island now if you don't mind. :rubs head in pain while trotting off:

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 09:44:31 pm »

I was inspired to attempt this after discovering that placing constructions on a newly forged obsidian floor and then removing them will cause the floor to revert to its original biome.
This will also happen with Veins and clusters, so if you built over that nati'e platinum floor you mined out...tough luck.

Also, Toady has stated that trees won't grow if you only ha'e a thin layer of soil (floor only), but I can't find the post right now.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:58 pm »

Also, Toady has stated that trees won't grow if you only ha'e a thin layer of soil (floor only), but I can't find the post right now.

Really? I hollowed out the soil under the area enclosed by my walls. I've got a few trees that have regrown. I'm not so sure about saplings though, but I assume those areas without saplings just get trampled too often by dwarves.

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 12:23:18 am »

Ack its true. There's nothing but grass growing on my new soil floor. I suppose I shouldn't have hollowed out the ground enclosed by my walls.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 02:20:26 am »

I wonder if repeating the process would yield trees as you would then have two layers of soil.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 02:24:13 am »

No, unfortunately you need a soil wall below the soil floor to grow trees.

Unless they're Tower Caps.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 02:41:23 am »

Looks like it's time for a little test.  I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed though...
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 02:50:03 am »

I hear mud works just fine if this artificial soil won't.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: [1] 2