Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Learning how to play (currently: Seeds and Barrels!) (Settlements down: 2)  (Read 5760 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

17.  The minute the game pauses, to alert you of a cavern breach, go to that 3x3 up/down stair, and turn all nine into up stairs, well you might only have 6 or 7 left to convert into up stairs, after a breach.  Then when those are done, build right overtop the up/down breaches, up stairs, by way of the b,C,u menu.  Use the nearest rock, so its done fast.  This is the fastest way, that I have found to seal up a cavern.

Deep contstuctions are prioritized over those fortress walls on the surface your masons are building, so don't worry about suspending those, to free up a laborer. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't try that spoiler strategy if ya have to go thru a cavern lake.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

17. I drilled down with up/down stairways until I got to the cavern. How can I seal it off now, so that nothing crawls up? I tried with a floor hatch (I even have an artifact hatch, lol), but it won't allow me. Perhaps I am using it wrong?

The best way is to dig a 1x1 tile next to the lowest level of the stair that you want to remain accessible.  Then build a constructed "up" stair in place of the dug-out up/down stair.  From below, a "up" stair looks like an impassable ceiling.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile

If your swimming in gold, make some of that into furniture at a masons. Your dwarves will love it if they have such valuable items in their meeting hall, bedrooms, or even just walk past them in the hall.

For example since my barracks were in a soil layer close to the surface, they werent able to be engraved.
So to provide happy thoughts, I used all my excess gold to line the floor tiles with gold hatches.
You can also place extra hatches on your central stair column, (3x3 or whatever you use) this will prevent dwarves from falling down more than one flight of stairs if they get bumped. (which ive never witnessed, trusting wiki on that one)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:23:55 am by chronicpayne »

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

18. I keep getting the error message "Farmer cancelled seeding: no available seeds". Even though there is plenty of them. I think the problem lies in the fact that even though I have isolated the seeds in a specific stockpile, they are in barrels, and when someone comes to get 1 seed he makes the entire barrel unavailabe to all. Would disallowing barrels on the stockpile solve the problem?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

18.  Don't take any drastic measures.  Is the error spamming?  Or is it an isolated occurence?  If its the later, let the dorf AI rethink and leave em in the barrels.  I'm thinking what you thought, and that is, that his quiver was out of ammo, and he told you so, in complex techno verbage.  Got all alerts on or some? Herbalist prolly was just ninja'd by another herbie and complained. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

seperate seed stockpiles without barrels is the way to go. If you check the barrel, you'll see it's stored in bags too, 100 seeds per bag. So after some time you have two seedbags per seed type (200 seeds per type max). If 5 farmers go to plant plump helmets you'll still get cancelations, but they can plant different crops no problem.

So yes, no-barrel seed stockpile, and a correct identification of the problem :D +1 dwarfbucks

18.  Don't take any drastic measures.  Is the error spamming?  Or is it an isolated occurence?  If its the later, let the dorf AI rethink and leave em in the barrels.  I'm thinking what you thought, and that is, that his quiver was out of ammo, and he told you so, in complex techno verbage.  Got all alerts on or some? Herbalist prolly was just ninja'd by another herbie and complained. 
going from farming to quivers to herbalists?
I don't know what you used, but can I have some?   ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:12:00 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dig ditch > walls & bridges up. > outer courtyard up > a hojillion cage traps > build roof > Teachers train militia >  ??? > profit?

Where's the problem?

For your seeds, have a custom stockpile only accepting seeds for that farm plot. If you haven't already, ALL stockpiles need to be customized. Meat, plump helmets & fish as well as 2 booze piles by the dining room, seed piles by the farm, fat piles by the soapers, raw materials by what processes them etc. Have a couple food only haulers to keep things going smoothly. GLHF

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LOL, are you having fun yet, Stormbuilder?   :D

You gotta love this game!
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]