Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mr Fortress Explorer.  (Read 2703 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mr Fortress Explorer.
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »

Someone upload a save of their fortress for me to explore and investigate in adventurer mode.  I'll then write a little diary about it in this thread.

Your fortress must be atleast 5 years old and vanilla DF to qualify. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:20:20 am by Qloos »

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Fortress Explorer.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:33:33 pm »

Here's a copy of Severedcoils.  This fort is being narrated here.  9 1/2 years, vanilla, includes a room full of levers;  Some may cause you some... difficulties, but nothing you shouldn't be able to avoid in time if when you pull them.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:56 pm »

Ooh, ooh, I'd love to get in on this. I'll come back with a save in a few and edit it in here.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:06:18 pm »

A fortress especially designed for an adventurer to go through with spikes and traps and magma and rushing water and monsters = epic.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:10 pm »

The title reminds me of the track from La-Mulana, "Mr. Explorer." The only one you'll hear if you bought something other than the hand scanner at the beginning, other than the title and building tracks...
But I digress. I have no good fortresses... Except one. It's on an island though.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:30:38 pm »

Save downloaded, opened your fort and abandoned immediately without looking at anything.  Don't even know where your fortress is.  Think I'll take a bit of swimming, (just in case.)  With a bit of armor shield and alot of sword.  It's adventure time.

Journey log of Kon Erifensast.
Erifensast doesn't sound cool enough for a guy like me.

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, aka "Kon Bakerballs"
First thing I did was ask for directions.  I decided the local tavern master lasher could help me.  First thing he did was say "praise torture."  This journeys starting on the right foot.  But all he knew how to get to was a forest, that's no good.  Bidding him goodbye.  He bid me to put my faith in Sewat the poison of menace.  No thanks, I'll cut my immoral behavior off at torture thanks.

Screw this town, I'm gonna see if them southern mountains hold any clues.

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, 1st of Hematite.
I got some broad named Gisu Arcathi, (Bow-user) to come with me to visit the dwarfs.  Her and I killed a cougar together, this is a match made in heaven.  She ain't married either.  "Life is, in a word, gambling." 

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, 5th of Hematite.
Traveled along the livid spike mountain range for the past 5 days towards the west.  Passed a bunch of dwarfven mountain halls.  These aren't the holes were looking for my dear lady.  We took our frustration out on some wolves. 

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, 6th of Hematite.
16 wolves 3 cougars, the animals around these parts are violent.  We see a fortress in the distance.  Surely this must be our destination.

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, 7th of Hematite.  Morning
We have arrived in the general area of the Fortress,  Its just a short walk to the South East from here.  We know this from the common tell tale signs of Dwarfven fortresses.  Bones of groundhogs, pieces of rope.  Good materials, just left out in the open.

Oh, look!  A Sunstone.  Just laying out in the open.  I think I'll take this.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:33:50 pm by Qloos »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:45:50 pm »

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, 7th of Hematite.  Still Morning.
I have arrived at a bunch of stagnant pools of water with ramps carved into them.  Obviously so that if a fat dwarf falls into one he would be able to roll out, as they can't swim.  Gisu suggested the ramps were for the height challenged dwarfs who wanted to fish with their dirty beards.  Oh we had a good chuckle at that.

There are a few basalt walls to the south and east from here.  As well as some outdoor archery targets.  Not now Gisu not now.

Spoiler: AreaImage (click to show/hide)

Coming a bit closer we spotted a rough basalt road and a dead mule.  What happened at this fortress?  As we got a little closer we took note of the crossbow slits on the 2nd floor and what appeared to be the main entrance.  We decided to explore the outdoor structures first before entering the main entrance.

Spoiler: AreaImage (click to show/hide)

I was really curious about what was behind this outdoor floodgate, but I couldn't open it.

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, 7th of Hematite.  Late Morning.
The building with the archery targets outside of it, or the barracks as we've begun to call it seems to have NO DOORS to get inside.  Stupid dwarfs.  Exploring more outside the main entrance has revealed a Ironbar barrier outside a trenched fortification line.  None of this is guarded.  Something is seriously wrong.  And we're going to get under it, (ha, another dwarf joke.)

We went upstairs into the crossbow tower, discovered some bolts in a bin, and sweet pods in another.  Obviously the garrison was underfed.

Journey log of Kon Hiñerobe, 7th of Hematite.  Inside the fortress.
Moving over and under the rock overhang we spotted to dead guard dogs tied at the beginning of a moat with 2 bridges spanning it.  The moat was unimpressive in depth and I even considered jumping down there to take a look but thought better of it.  Once we got to the other side the unsmoothed and rough rock floor continued deeper yet straight ahead with 4 doors.  2 to each side.  Pondering which way to go first a ratman suddenly jumped out from door number 1 on the left.

Spoiler: RATMAN! (click to show/hide)

Which was immediately shot in the chest and died.  Thanks Gisu!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:01:38 pm by Qloos »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »

Fort name: Undergrotto, or "Aroluzar." It's pre-abandoned, so you don't have to worry about that. Pop was 105, all nicknamed, so you're likely to find some of the buggers here and there.

Important: To get on the entrance bridge, you need to do that alt thing to walk on dangerous territory, for some reason.

Fun things to find (spoilered in case you'd rather just see what's around for yourself)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save is here. Hopefully the lag won't be too bad. Have Fun!

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 12:10:45 am »

Note to Retro:  One fortress at a time please.

Taking the path that ratman came out of I proceed north towards what appears to be a dining room.  The walls and floors all engraved with pretty images.  It's time for Kon Hiñerobe PI to do some investigation work.

Except I was interrupted by a host of creatures as I stepped into the room.  This is clearly an invading force that decided to stop for a bit of lunch after their conquest.

Finally finding time, I got to look over these engravings.  Most of it is benign and boring historic information about specific dwarfs and what their trivial daily lives entailed.  Edzul Helmshold is a weaver who was really good at weaving, blah blah blah.

However I have found some engravings about the first leader of Severedcoils.  There are a few hints within these images.  In fact I may have found my reason in coming here.

Spoiler: TheReason (click to show/hide)

I'll take that buckler as soon as I find it without the slightest bit of guilt, not after what all these engravings have told me.  This fortress was founded in 201.  It's first leader was Zon Castleweakened a war monger.  The swift arches founded this fortress under the group name "the crypt of clowns" a jab at the human who died here, killed by a Dwarf.  In retaliation the goblins led a two year straight war in our name.  In 205 and 206 using war wolfs they besieged Severed Coils.  The war wolfs managed to eliminate some of these Dwarven scum.  However, the assault failed due to the villain Archibold and due to a strong silk industry. 

Taking my eyes off of the history written in this foul dining room I turned my attention to the numerous levers.  I'll leave those for later, there's still exploration to be done. . . ok I'll pull just one.

I'll pull the lever that has the engraving entitled "The Sunken Flesh-Control" under it.  What could go wrong?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:12:54 am by Qloos »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 12:54:59 am »

And Qloos was never heard from again.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 01:53:32 am »

Note to Retro:  One fortress at a time please.

Sorry, thought you were taking fort submissions whenever and then going through them in order rather than only allowing submissions between stories. I'll resubmit when you're done the current one.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 05:51:18 pm »

It almost sounds like you're playing as a goblin, either that or you started in a goblin-occupied human town.  I didn't know this existed in my world!  I do know there are goblin towers inhabited by humans, in fact a LOT of the humans in my world appear to have been corrupted.

I played it once after waiting for a goblin siege to succumb to, and had a delightful conversation with a goblin leader axelord in my dining room before he beheaded me.

Spoiler: Lever stuff (click to show/hide)
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:24:03 pm »

Argh at least he isn't going after my buckler.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:57 pm »

Directly east of the dining room is an alcove with a few beds along a wall.  Gisu comes to the conclusion that this is a drunk recovery room for dwarfs who are too lazy to walk to their bedroom. 

Going south into some bizarre 3 parallel path hallway we find some stairs leading up and down.

We decided to remain on this floor.  Heading south past a trading area we meet a similar room but with some sort of bizarre water contraption behind a grate.  This must be used to wash away the sins of their evil deeds.

Spoiler: Washingawaysins (click to show/hide)

Going west I encountered a locked door.  Picking the lock, I enter expecting to claim a great prize.  But the room is completely empty.  Let down we carry on South past some smoothed walls into a large oval shaped cavern.  Uncertain as to which direction I should go I pray for divine guidance. 

Which way should I go?
South it is!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:17:15 pm by Qloos »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:21 pm »

South.
Pages: [1] 2