Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 238043 times)

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #615 on: December 01, 2017, 02:37:47 am »

I like how Cathar has put so much detail into the world and town, noticing every fine and tiny detail about the inhabitants that make it such a loveable universe. Straight down to those blue skinned goblins we all love-hate or the men that wrestle alligators straight up. I have to say it...This story should get nominated into the hall of fame.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 01, 2017, 02:42:33 am »

I like how Cathar has put so much detail into the world and town, noticing every fine and tiny detail about the inhabitants that make it such a loveable universe. Straight down to those blue skinned goblins we all love-hate or the men that wrestle alligators straight up. I have to say it...This story should get nominated into the hall of fame.
It was. Two or three times. But Cathar requested to be left out of HoL until he is gone/finishes the saga. Pity, but so much more reason for us to help him craft a true masterpiece!

Also, damn great Valken! Although he does not look like 200 or even 80. Strong old badass.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 01, 2017, 04:03:37 am »

Imic was in his room again. On his table were some smuged and worn documents, showing designs of large buildings and temples. Beside them was a note. Imic started to talk to himself.
"So then. He's dead after all. All that ambition, to build a great city, all worn down into a pile of old papers and some note in a book of tax records somewhere."
He looked around.
Someone moved outside the doorway just out of hus sight.
He looked back. He took all of the blueprints and plans, folded them up, and put them back in the letter. He put the letter on the mantlepiece of his fireplace, before staring into the fireplace until he finally fell asleep.

Cathar, could you possibly show me Imic's character sheet and his relations?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:38:47 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #618 on: December 01, 2017, 07:55:40 am »

Sure thing ! As soon as I'm home I'll send you that (in private as the spoilers would be obvious as hell)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 01, 2017, 08:00:45 am »

Can I get Ases's relationship list?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #620 on: December 01, 2017, 08:47:15 am »

Digo leaned carefully over his latest work, unsatisfied.  The model wasn't complete by any means.  Sure, scaled up it would stop most invaders - provided they walked right into the trigger mechanism, and the automatic disposal system had a tendency to get jammed.  He picked up a pair of sticks and placed them carefully into the pulley system, tightening it slightly.  Perhaps -

"What are you making?"

- it could be augmented with a trapdoor, or alternatively a rope to trip up the victim.  He would have to check with the weavers if they had anything appropriate.  Some of his earlier models employed spiderwebs to great success, but he scrapped them when he realized that such designs simply didn't scale up, unless the giant spiders he sometimes heard the dwarves talking about were real.

"What is it?  Some kind of puzzle box?"

"A model for a trap." For the time being, a thread would suffice.  He picked up the cage containing one of his test subjects, a brown rat, moving it out of the way.  It wasn't a perfect subject, but at least it would test the trigger concept.

"My dad says that traps are for cowards.  Mong Kima doesn't need traps.  We have strong fighters."

He gave the trigger a quick once-over, tapping it twice.  The cage twitched, but failed to fall.  Marking a spot on the ground with a bit of charcoal, he tightened the pulleys a little more.  "We can't rely on fighters to protect us.  There are too many enemies."

"Shut up!  Do you know how many goblins my dad killed in the last attack?"

Digo nodded to himself, then opened the latch on his test subject's cage.  The rat climbed out, then walked forward warily.  It jostled a small wire, springing the trap that dropped a miniature cage over it, though not as perfectly as it ought to be.  "It doesn't matter.  He'll probably be dead himself in a few years.  Most soldiers -"

"SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP"

Digo found himself lying face-up in the dirt.  Maybe looping the tripwire a third time would help?  The model was destroyed, but to be fair it needed to be redone from scratch anyway.  His chest and shoulder ached.  Who was the child screaming at him?  He definitely looked familiar but Digo wasn't very good at placing names to faces.  The rat squeaked and scratched at the side of the room in terror.  Why was the child so upset?  All Digo wanted to do was to make the fortress safer for everyone.

Then nobody would have to lose someone close to them ever again.

OOC: So this was basically a thing I wrote up as an idea of the character.  I don't know Digo's in-game traits so I'll change it retroactively if it makes sense.  Also I don't know who the other kid is.  I was going to pick someone but I don't know the rules for using another person's character.  I'm sure it could fit someone in the fortress.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 01, 2017, 10:41:16 am »

How very appropriate. I'm working my way through John Ringo's Posleen war books right now, and that's some pretty hardcore military sci-fi showing just how very much soldiers need to be backed up by traps. When the Posleen invaded the U.S. they quickly learned to avoid any area marked with the twin turreted castle that the U.S. Army Engineering corps uses as its symbol. Landmines, I tell ya. Fuckin' landmines. So many dead crocodile centaurs that the streets were sticky with yellow blood.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #622 on: December 01, 2017, 10:45:09 am »

Alright so, Imic, I sent the relation sheet in private. Since Ases is not spoilereque, I can do it here

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The guy who made Legend Viewer is my hero.

To IndigoFenix : the boy could be Umci, Bolli last children (so, Ebkusa baby brother). He's two years old tho... But he's pretty much the last eligible child of a soldier, since first generation soldier's children have pretty much all grown up. Alternatively, it could be Asin's child, Uzu, 9 years old, refering to his sister instead of his father. It's totally up to you !

Also, I don't think there are rules to pick someone else. Just stay in character and be respectful? Basically if you want to antagonize a character, I'd prefer to be a NPC or have the player's consent, for harmony reason. Also... I didn't posted Digo's profile? My bad, here it is :

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:00:49 am by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 01, 2017, 10:53:36 pm »

Well, Ases is friendly with a lot of the fort. Somehow. She can't be too stern if she's on friendly terms with people. Still . . . I'm going to play it off as them being impressed with her skills and her wanting to do everything she can to protect these people.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #624 on: December 02, 2017, 01:35:02 am »

Well, if you look into it, most of her relations are with other knights, Slada, Imic, Pabat, etc. Most of it is just normal fighter camaraderie and/or mutual respect if you don't plan to have her having friendships of any kind (which is okay)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #625 on: December 03, 2017, 11:31:34 am »

Ah, bad empathy AND bad analytic abilities?  That poor kid...

Interesting mix of traits... So he has bad empathy but a way with words and a good feel for social relationships.  Sounds like a typical sociopath, but also views guile as worthless.  Also he is argumentative and doesn't respect societies that have settled into peace, but also believes peace is preferable to war and dreams of bringing peace to the world.

I'm going to interpret this as meaning he is generally disrespectful and rude, and likes to bluntly tell people unpleasant things they don't want to hear.  He doesn't really care about them per se, but his words usually get people to listen anyway...even though they generally hate him for it.

Also he seems to have an OCD-ADD blend from that description...he's not as clever as he'd like to think, but is generally able to succeed through pure pigheadedness and trial and error.  Except when something doesn't interest him, in which case he just loses focus.

I was going to make hia rat his only "friend", but since he hates rats I'm going to make it that he likes to run them through horrific deathtraps instead.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:28 pm »

Ah, bad empathy AND bad analytic abilities?  That poor kid...

Interesting mix of traits... So he has bad empathy but a way with words and a good feel for social relationships.  Sounds like a typical sociopath, but also views guile as worthless.  Also he is argumentative and doesn't respect societies that have settled into peace, but also believes peace is preferable to war and dreams of bringing peace to the world.

I'm going to interpret this as meaning he is generally disrespectful and rude, and likes to bluntly tell people unpleasant things they don't want to hear.  He doesn't really care about them per se, but his words usually get people to listen anyway...even though they generally hate him for it.

Also he seems to have an OCD-ADD blend from that description...he's not as clever as he'd like to think, but is generally able to succeed through pure pigheadedness and trial and error.  Except when something doesn't interest him, in which case he just loses focus.

I was going to make hia rat his only "friend", but since he hates rats I'm going to make it that he likes to run them through horrific deathtraps instead.

But he also doesn't look on perseverance in a good light, ironically perhaps?

He certainly has some issues, that much is clear.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 03, 2017, 06:44:42 pm »

He certainly has some issues, that much is clear.

. . . Which can be summed up as "he was procedurally-generated by Dwarf Fortress."  Pity them all.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #628 on: December 04, 2017, 04:01:55 am »

We're still holding Hairyoracle with other local warbands, but we don't think the city will ever recover to its former glory. People don't seem to be interested in settling in a warzone, so right now, it's just a gigantic foodstock, and a barrier to prevent our enemies from trying to bypass you by the south.

With you on the east, and us on the south, enemies lines of attack are pretty much taken care of. I guess Wulemaapasi can still attack by the north, but at this point the Queen would have to fight with her own troops. Luckily, none of those grass eating imbeciles had this strike of genius so far, and everything they sent to us has been dealt with.

It has been very long since last time we met. Pay us a visit someday - you'll appreciate the pittoresque sight of the ruins of what was once the jewel of the east.
Really it puts everything into perspective !
That and we have a huge stockpile of alcohol we trade with merchants.

I heard you've been promoted to the title of Knight Captain. You totally deserve it ! No law officer has been a pain in the bottom as much as you were back in the days, I'm very happy that peculiar skill of yours has been recognized and put in good use !

Congratulations for your multiple victories against Osme Stobûb. We know you're taking the main course on the eastern front, and we'll continue to assist as we can.

Hope to see you again sometimes,
-Luki Usupim Sitsuquistra"

There's a lot of little other character arcs I'd want to draw, but we reeeeally need to move on or we'll be stuck in Autumn 139 forever. Time needs to fly ! But I'll give airtime to other characters in the foreseable future

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 04, 2017, 05:13:11 am »

Great to see her again!  :D

Luki is probably my favorite character in entire story, surpassing even badass gorlac.

Btw, have you managed to get her to consider marriage?  :P
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 111