Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 546069 times)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #315 on: December 25, 2010, 01:44:16 am »

Hrm, I killed a beetlebum, tried stepping onto where it was, and got this:

Turn:System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at ConsoleLib.Console.ScreenBuffer.ThickSingleBox(Int32 x1, Int32 y1, Int32 x2, Int32 y2, UInt16 Color) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\ConsoleLib\ConsoleLib.Console.cs:line 700
   at XRL.UI.Sidebar.RenderCurrentCellPopup(ScreenBuffer _Buffer) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\UI Elements\XRL.UI.Sidebar.cs:line 906
   at XRL.UI.Sidebar.Render(ScreenBuffer _ScreenBuffer) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\UI Elements\XRL.UI.Sidebar.cs:line 734
   at XRL.Core.XRLCore.RenderBaseToBuffer(ScreenBuffer Buffer) in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.cs:line 1439
   at XRL.Core.XRLCore.RenderBase() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.cs:line 1478
   at XRL.Core.XRLCore.PlayerTurn() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.cs:line 1320
   at XRL.Core.ActionManager.RunSegment() in X:\Documents\Programming\C#\XRL\XRL Application\Game Core\XRL.Core.ActionManager.cs:line 266

...indefinitely, until I switch to the CoQ window and move somewhere and click "okay" on the exception again.  Then it stops coming back.  There's a fair amount of stuff on that tile.  All the stuff it ate?

Edit: After destroying some stuff by attacking from the next tile, I was finally able to step onto the tile without the exception once an iron war hammer was destroyed.

Edit 2: Another issue related to this.  In really long lists of items, the list for getting or using an item on the ground says "(down for more)" after the u) item, but pressing down or page down or > just closes the item list, so either that's not working or I don't understand what it wants me to press.

Edit 3: Also, I think I'd like it if pressing spacebar over a single object brought up the available actions for that object, rather than automatically getting it.  I'd like to eat random food objects from the floor without picking them up first.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:29:43 am by Malicus »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #316 on: December 25, 2010, 06:52:40 am »

*Fixed an exception when you die by teleporting into solid stone

I am now on a mission to die this way. Oh, the wonderful, magical things this game has thought of... :)

That crazy robot is still down there as well. Only one zone south beyond the outskirts of Joppa... I'm dying to know what this thing is and I'm dying to take it out, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen for a long time. I'll have to savescum this character until it's powerful enough to fight it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: DAMMIT! First of all, hemophelia is the worst defect ever. Once I started bleeding, I couldn't stop no matter how many bandages I used and even with regeneration I bled to death from a tiny scratch. Then, I realized that putting my backup folder in the saves folder is a bad idea, since the game deleted the backup folder (which was nested) along with the original save when I died. So that character is gone for good. Bye bye, robot. Guess I'll just have to wonder forever.

Why does the backup folder get deleted, anyway? In all the other roguelikes I've played, I just put a folder in the saves folder called "backup" and copy my saves into it if I want to savescum for some reason and copy the entire folder for each save into it. It's never been a problem before. I guess I'd better keep them safely far away from the game folder in the future... Dammit dammit dammit.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:00:32 am by Sappho »

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 25, 2010, 07:14:51 am »

ok, what i did: i started an esper mutant with blinking and disintegration, i bought a grit gate recoiler, forgot i didn't have a way back and blinked into the area i was not supposed to be in ... i could trade with them anyway ... if i had a way back i would now have a nice starting equipment ... i will now proceed to disintegrate the gate!

ok, the energy field did not disintegrate, the terminal however did ... i can't complete the quest now, right?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 25, 2010, 07:28:03 am »

but the quest are random generated?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 25, 2010, 08:13:14 am »

*Fixed an exception when you die by teleporting into solid stone

I am now on a mission to die this way. Oh, the wonderful, magical things this game has thought of... :)

That crazy robot is still down there as well. Only one zone south beyond the outskirts of Joppa... I'm dying to know what this thing is and I'm dying to take it out, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen for a long time. I'll have to savescum this character until it's powerful enough to fight it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: DAMMIT! First of all, hemophelia is the worst defect ever. Once I started bleeding, I couldn't stop no matter how many bandages I used and even with regeneration I bled to death from a tiny scratch. Then, I realized that putting my backup folder in the saves folder is a bad idea, since the game deleted the backup folder (which was nested) along with the original save when I died. So that character is gone for good. Bye bye, robot. Guess I'll just have to wonder forever.

Why does the backup folder get deleted, anyway? In all the other roguelikes I've played, I just put a folder in the saves folder called "backup" and copy my saves into it if I want to savescum for some reason and copy the entire folder for each save into it. It's never been a problem before. I guess I'd better keep them safely far away from the game folder in the future... Dammit dammit dammit.

Don't savescum that way.  WAY too much effort.  Just turn on "allow load and save commands" and "disable permadeath".  ...just remember to actually save often enough with F6.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #320 on: December 25, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

Ha, I never even realized that was an option. Wish I had noticed it earlier... Ah well. Live and learn I guess. I still don't understand why my backup was deleted though...

Edit: I think this is a new bug. I just killed a chameleon and it dropped a croc corpse.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:32:41 am by Sappho »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 25, 2010, 11:43:39 am »

I think it's just using croc corpses for all reptiles?  I dunno.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 25, 2010, 01:20:13 pm »

The bugs are fun, except for exceptions. I'm glad that as a developer you have good exception handling.

I gotta say, I have been MOST impressed with the random dungeons. More than anything, the fact that you can just noclip/burrow underground anywhere in the world and get a tangible, interesting dungeon type level (for dozens of levels down, with increasing difficulty!) based on the location is very fun.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 25, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »

i still haven't found out how to dig ... except for disintegrating the wall ... or a terminal ... on that note: what was the exact wording of the Terminal in the grit gate? i think i need to wish for that to continue ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2010, 02:32:57 pm »

i still haven't found out how to dig ... except for disintegrating the wall ... or a terminal ... on that note: what was the exact wording of the Terminal in the grit gate? i think i need to wish for that to continue ...

I don't believe you can dig directly down which is a disappointment, but there are stairs in lots of places in the world and you can just noclip down anywhere.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2010, 05:03:57 pm »

Anyone know if you can recover a placed turret?

*Edit*

Also, for anyone wondering, shotgun turrets are a baaaaaaaaaad idea. It turns the entire area near it into a death trap if it spots so much as a glowcrow.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:04:54 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 25, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »

Also, for anyone wondering, shotgun turrets are a baaaaaaaaaad idea. It turns the entire area near it into a death trap if it spots so much as a glowcrow.

That sounds like a very good idea to me. :D
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 25, 2010, 08:12:38 pm »

Not if you're in front of it.
*Hugs*

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 26, 2010, 02:47:56 am »

Aaaaand a bug.  If a grenade gets rusted, it still stacks with the unrusted ones, so it can be hard to find.  However, if you drop it and pick it back up, it does NOT stack with them.

Edit: There is also a data disk for an "[Energy Cell]", like the inventory category name.  Looking at it gives the non-description of "A hideous specimen."  I somehow don't think this was intended.  It seems to have energy comparable to a chem cell, though I can't tell for sure, and it requires a scrap crystal and a scrap electronics to make, whereas the chem cell requires scrap power systems and a scrap crystal.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 04:42:08 am by Malicus »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 26, 2010, 11:38:46 am »

Speaking of that bug... When you're examining an artifact, if it's in a stack and breaks, the entire stack breaks.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 250