Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 545966 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #345 on: December 26, 2010, 03:44:24 pm »

Oh, okay then.

EDIT: Damn, the pygmys are punching through my carapace, for low damage, but nonetheless.
EDIT2: Down to 1 health. And with a pygmy blowgunner shooting at me. I am screwed.
EDIT3: Holy crap, more pygmys! Why are there so many pygmys?!
EDIT4: Level up from pygmy slaughter. Mostly I just needed the extra health.
EDIT5: I live! Dare I go a screen south?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:56:03 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #346 on: December 26, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »

Another thing you can do when starting out? Steal everything that's not nailed down. There are three houses with chests but no people in them. Go in, close the doors, open the chests, grab everything. No one will know... If you didn't start with the artifacts for the quests, you probably have them now.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 26, 2010, 04:40:09 pm »

He he he, I now know how to construct HE missiles, so I can use my rocket launcher much more now. Only downside is that it requires phasic power systems, but oh well, still nice to have the recipe. Also, it constructs 5 at a time so I guess it's a good trade.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 26, 2010, 05:13:15 pm »

Wow so I started another character, did the critter quest, on the bottom floor, where they are, I decided to explore, found a river, and went 1 screen to the south with it. I found up stairs there so I went up, and up. Twice because the stairs were so close together, but when I came out the second time, there was no down staircase were I was, part of the level was revealed already because I was there before. and I was trapped in a large room with no way out. I went and 's'earched all around but could not find anything. In an act of desperation I started to attack a wall, hoping I can dig my way out, and after about 100 turns, I broke it and found a hall way out, leading to the stairs.

I just have to say that getting into a situation that I was in, then being able to dig your way out with a sword is awesome, I hope you don't stop working on this :D
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #349 on: December 26, 2010, 06:19:58 pm »

Why does it take 200 turns to recharge harvest, even after you've bought the entire path? That makes the skill almost useless.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 26, 2010, 06:43:42 pm »

Yeah butchery is WAYYY better investment of points.  Harvesting gives way too little, you need to eat like 400 wafers just to be full.  I'd be happy with it if it randomly harvested as I walked around or something, that'd be really neat because I always forget to use the harvest skill because I'm too busy killing stuff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 26, 2010, 06:46:29 pm »

Unless it's changed while I was out of town, it's 100 turns, not 200. 100 turns pass quite, uh, quickly, especially if you're ` resting after getting smacked up by things.

Harvest isn't terribly efficient as a survival thing, no. It's better for low-level/risk trade goods (ala starapples) than food. Vinewafers seem useful, but they get ate through very, very quickly. Much better to grab the first level butcher and sell a harvest of starapple to someone or another for water.

I'd guess that the primary reason the cool down is as long as it is, is to prevent, yanno', going out and farming every single bloody watervine in a X radius of Joppa and coming out with 10k+ vinewafers and enough starapple to buy out the glowpad merchant. Unlike butcher, harvest just doesn't take much risk to use, and so has th'cooldown attached to it. Using harvest as an occasional thing to do between battles, I've found it an excellent trade/water/supply supplement even with the cooldown -- I just use it in between fights on passing plants. Most non-cavern maps have at least a half dozen or so harvestable trees.

It would be nice to see more done with it, though. New arrow types, impromptu medicines/poisons/etc, stuff like that. Maybe a skill further down the harvest tree that improves the efficiency of harvested items for you, or something.

Edit: It's around 30-40 wafers to get full from th'auto-eat point, iirc, not 400. Maybe up to double that, 60-80, s'been a few days since I played. Just seems like 400, 'cause each individual one gives so bloody little nutrition. Which is what you meant, o'course, but numbers~ :P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:52:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 26, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »

Yeah I was exaggerating,  I think even if the cool down were to be reduced to 25 or so not many people would harvest out the zones.  It's much more efficient to just go and kill some things and drag their corpses back if the intention is to make some money.  A boar corpse fetches like.. 40 drams right?  That's way more then what you could harvest in the same amount of time.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 26, 2010, 07:34:40 pm »

Tip for anyone trying to get through some locked doors in The Grit Gate; use a missile launcher with HE rockets. It knocks the doors out of the way harmlessly, and robots don't seem to mind unless you get really unlucky and give them 1 damage. Also, they don't do all that much damage to you so you can just stand next to a door and fire. It will cost a lot of rockets so I doubt it's practical. Still, it works.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #354 on: December 26, 2010, 07:35:19 pm »

Tip for anyone trying to get through some locked doors in The Grit Gate; use a missile launcher with HE rockets. It knocks the doors out of the way harmlessly, and robots don't seem to mind. Also, they don't do all that much damage so you can just stand next to a door and fire. It will cost a lot of rockets so I doubt it's practical. Still, it works.
Somewhat silly, but I used the force shield mutation to push em

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 26, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »

Tip for anyone trying to get through some locked doors in The Grit Gate; use a missile launcher with HE rockets. It knocks the doors out of the way harmlessly, and robots don't seem to mind. Also, they don't do all that much damage so you can just stand next to a door and fire. It will cost a lot of rockets so I doubt it's practical. Still, it works.
Somewhat silly, but I used the force shield mutation to push em
Yeah, I'm not a mutant though. So HE rockets are my only option. Still, I think it's much funner to use rockets point blank to blast open a door causing a major explosion and survive losing only 20 or so HP. The mental image is also quite nice.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 26, 2010, 07:44:12 pm »

Why does it take 200 turns to recharge harvest, even after you've bought the entire path? That makes the skill almost useless.

I find it much more useful than butchery, at least so far.  Some of the harvested items restore thirst as well as hunger, and watervines are almost, if not completely, weightless -- I once had over 1000 and they still didn't weigh a pound.  ...there is also a harvested item that is basically a potion of cure serious wounds.

Also, it doesn't put items into your inventory and suddenly weigh you down without your permission the way butchery does.  Binding a key to "wait 100 turns" is helpful, if you REALLY want to sit around and gather stuff.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:46:15 pm by Malicus »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 26, 2010, 07:56:51 pm »

So HE rockets are my only option.

HE grenades, of course, or even better... force bracelet. Force bracelets are... incredible. Think force bubble mutation, but the duration equals an energy cell charge (and my starting, used, chem cell, has lasted a combined 50-60 turns already!) and the cooldown is the one-two turns it takes to swap cells.

If there is a downside to this thing (beyond having some trouble getting into melee range which... isn't really trouble, really.), I haven't found it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 26, 2010, 08:02:05 pm »

HE grenades
HE grenades work?

Oh, they do. That's nice to know since I had no other use for my Mk I HE grenade recipe. Too bad they don't work on security doors, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 26, 2010, 08:15:38 pm »

Security doors probably won't be a problem by the time you hit Susa. Just take a round trip or two to the merchants and buy up some security cards. I had maintenance and law cards and could open every one I ran in to. Useful things.

Those cards are also pretty good trade fodder, if you find spares. Of course, you're looking at... a lot... to buy them. Doable, though.

You can also just bash down the doors, at least technically. I've done it with a cheatmonkey level 100 character :P Remember -- if you can do one damage to the thing, you can hold down ctrl+direction until you tear it down... well, probably. The things regenerate a lil'. Honestly, a decent strength-spec'd character shouldn't have any problems with that.

I'm now wondering if slam or hook'n'drag can move the things, though. Hrm...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 250