Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 543460 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #735 on: January 28, 2011, 05:10:48 am »

Wow, that settlement thing sounds AWESOME.  Hinterlands and the Fallout 3 settlement mod comes to mind.  That'd be cool if you can give the citizens in your town jobs, like woodcutter, hunter, etc.. and with the resources you can direct it towards building the town and stuff.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 28, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »

Wow, that settlement thing sounds AWESOME.  Hinterlands and the Fallout 3 settlement mod comes to mind.  That'd be cool if you can give the citizens in your town jobs, like woodcutter, hunter, etc.. and with the resources you can direct it towards building the town and stuff.

So... Dwarf Fortress?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 28, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »

So... Dwarf Fortress?

Yeah, no great shock that the Bay12 community would find the city-builder the most interesting of the proposals.  ;D

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 28, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »

Yeah I totally forgot about DF too.  Now I feel stupid -_-

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 28, 2011, 11:24:25 pm »

4. More general world/townbuilding - In the dim future (maybe never) I would like to add a major plot that would allow you to grow and defend a settlement in the world, with the 'win' condition for that being surviving a certain set of events, and providing for a thriving settlement. This would be a long time from now, and might just end up being a seperate game if it happens.

Oh please pleaseeee do this.  Optional, of course.  It should be a very, very difficult quest to complete though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #740 on: January 29, 2011, 12:32:09 am »

I don't see why it should be a difficult quest to complete or something. Why not just a different game mode? Or have it as one of the starting builds.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 31, 2011, 06:58:29 pm »

Couple fixes and a couple new goodies.

*2 new artifact melee weapons
*Fixed the display of melee weapon penetration above strength cap
*Slightly rebalanced all melee weapon penetration values
*You should no-longer be given mutations you already have when picking a new mutation

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:28 am »

This game is excellent. Quite entertaining, and the setting is quite fun.

Is it just me, or is flaming hands really powerful early on?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:35 am »

Hey, is anyone else seeing rapidly ballooning memory requirements? If I didn't know better I'd say you were trying to hold everything that got built in active memory, but that wouldn't even account for it - how you unpack a 9 mb save file into 600 megs of active memory is beyond me. My computer just can't hack it; the pagefile explodes and the hard drive starts thrashing. Which is a shame, because I really like the first couple hours before it becomes unplayable.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 01, 2011, 01:36:28 am »

Hey, is anyone else seeing rapidly ballooning memory requirements? If I didn't know better I'd say you were trying to hold everything that got built in active memory, but that wouldn't even account for it - how you unpack a 9 mb save file into 600 megs of active memory is beyond me. My computer just can't hack it; the pagefile explodes and the hard drive starts thrashing. Which is a shame, because I really like the first couple hours before it becomes unplayable.

There are still some memory issues, obviously. I'll work them out eventually! Your save isn't jsut the .SAV, it's the .SAV plus every zone in the zone cache :)

There should only be 8-10 zones in memory at once (400-500mb), but it gets a little wanky at times when something leaves a dangling reference and goes nuts.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 02, 2011, 02:32:55 am »

Why do you have to make such an addicting game?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 02, 2011, 08:32:55 am »

Great game. I've had issues with DF in a non-tileset environment, but this one is fairly intuitive and easy to pick up.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 02, 2011, 12:28:42 pm »

but it gets a little wanky at times
I think you mean wonky, or cranky.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 02, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »

I found an issue. Quests dont clear when you restart a game with the same file. Probably causes some memory bloat problems.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 02, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »

I found an issue. Quests dont clear when you restart a game with the same file. Probably causes some memory bloat problems.

What do you mean restart a game with the same file?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 250