Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 543476 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2250 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:47 am »

Those are the components which make up the item. You can disassemble the item for a chance to receive those.
*Hugs*

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:38 am »

Thank you! At the moment I'm playing with an Artifex, it seems fun, but I don't decide between the stun rod or a sword... What is better? By the way, there's any way to make a random character?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:20:25 am by maki32 »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: February 29, 2012, 04:29:18 am »

I personally use swords/axes/whatever weapon I can find in Joppa. Mainly because they don't require fuel.

And there's no way to make a random character that I know of, I always play Artifex too BTW, love me dat crafting.
*Hugs*

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: February 29, 2012, 09:44:39 am »

You can press F1 on any character creation screen to make a random selection for that screen. So you can create a random character by just hitting F1 on each screen in turn.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:48 am »

You can press F1 on any character creation screen to make a random selection for that screen. So you can create a random character by just hitting F1 on each screen in turn.
Fully random mutant gogogo. You dont get to choose what you get in real life.

Got Carapace and Two-hearted, and Confusion and Telepathy. Stats are kinda crap though, 16 toughness. Will take a point of willpower and convert it into toughness. And kinda sad random generation doesnt take defects. Will take Spontaneous Combustion and make into lasers(I dont like carrying torches). And then random rolled a Nomad, who has a suit that is useless to me. I now have a veritable shitton of toughness though.

EDIT: 14 Intelligence, 60 skillpoints per level. Getting kited by baboons, broke an artifact. Not the best of starts.
EDIT2: Aaaaand eaten by a bear.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:45:51 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: February 29, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »

A few questions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it possible to run into random merchants like it was in the older versions? I swear having a heavy duty merchant two screens north of Joppa was a godsend.

I have a stun rod loaded with a cell but how can I get it to stun someone? EDIT: I tried that, just whacking dudes with the stun rod with a cell inserted. Used to be back in the old days you could toggle it on and off I think?

EDIT: Literally a minute after I post this I get lucky as all hell and find a wandering dromad merchant. Yes!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:27:20 pm by Blackray Jack »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: February 29, 2012, 02:08:14 pm »

You just attack with the stun rod to use it I think.
*Hugs*

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:46 pm »

The waterpad merchant still exists, he can be randomly found in one of the eight world tiles surrounding Joppa. Since each world tile consists of 9 "local" tiles, there are 72 possible local tiles in which he can be found.

Personally, I cheat a little to find him. Options -> Indicate overland encounters on the main map will show the world tile in which the merchant resides as a $ (though will also show several other things), then I check the 9 local tiles with ExploreZone enabled (F9 is the default toggle, but you may need to enable debug mode). I think the overland encounters toggle only works after starting a new world/character.

I find it just a matter of tedium to find him manually, though it is not a huge deal if you do or do not seek him out.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2258 on: February 29, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »

Haha, I just encountered a baetyl that demanded 6 carbide daggers, telling me it would reward me with a "blazing cannon" if I did it.

I thought "Cool, a blazing cannon? I bet it's some kind of high powered heavy energy weapon!" and forked them over (I happened to have 7 in my inventory, using them as currency since they're worth so much at a weight of 1) and it gave me... A pump shotgun.

Really? A pump shotgun qualifies as a blazing cannon?

I melted that baetyl down with a couple of mk III acid gas grenades. Didn't get my daggers back, but I felt better afterwards.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:13 pm »

Am I the only person that plays with permadeath off?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:45 pm »

Haha, I just encountered a baetyl that demanded 6 carbide daggers, telling me it would reward me with a "blazing cannon" if I did it.

I thought "Cool, a blazing cannon? I bet it's some kind of high powered heavy energy weapon!" and forked them over (I happened to have 7 in my inventory, using them as currency since they're worth so much at a weight of 1) and it gave me... A pump shotgun.

Really? A pump shotgun qualifies as a blazing cannon?

I melted that baetyl down with a couple of mk III acid gas grenades. Didn't get my daggers back, but I felt better afterwards.
Yeah, the only baetyls which are really worth it are is the one that "gives you enhanced prowess", which gives you either mutation point/points or a attribute points.
All the others have good odds of just giving you junky stuff or stuff thats not very useful by that point in the game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: February 29, 2012, 08:44:15 pm »

I think I just found one of the most amazing finds.

It's a thing called 'helping hands'. This gives me an extra pair of arms. I am concentrating on a shield build and already have deft block, the one with 75% chance to block and the ability to block one extra attack per round. I can now equip two more shields and two more bucklers. This enables me to have four bucklers equipped and three shields. I have now become the impregnable fortress. CAN NOT BE PREGNATED.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: February 29, 2012, 09:05:25 pm »

I think I just found one of the most amazing finds.

It's a thing called 'helping hands'. This gives me an extra pair of arms. I am concentrating on a shield build and already have deft block, the one with 75% chance to block and the ability to block one extra attack per round. I can now equip two more shields and two more bucklers. This enables me to have four bucklers equipped and three shields. I have now become the impregnable fortress. CAN NOT BE PREGNATED.

Currently there is no benefit of equipping more than one shield at a time,
according to their official forum in 3 or 4 places.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

handofluke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

Yeah, the only baetyls which are really worth it are is the one that "gives you enhanced prowess", which gives you either mutation point/points or a attribute points.
All the others have good odds of just giving you junky stuff or stuff thats not very useful by that point in the game.

I'll defend the equipment rewards a little. Unmodified pump shotgun is about as bad as it should get. :) On the other hand, some of the possible items are very nice -- including some out-of-depth stuff, even for that point in the game.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:24 pm »

I tried this game, but I kept dying. Any advice?
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 250