Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 545878 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2430 on: July 10, 2012, 06:18:04 am »

Thankfully, I spoke to the elder and was able to complete the quest by giving him the stuff, thus bypassing the bit with the dead guy. :) Now I'm trying to get into the Grit Gate...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: July 10, 2012, 08:08:33 am »

the scrambler just works on waydroids, btw

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: July 10, 2012, 08:34:48 pm »

Super spoiler
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: July 12, 2012, 10:23:20 am »

I started playing this on a really early release and must just not have been in the mood or something, because I fired it back up and I can't stop playing.  This will be a classic along the lines of TOME and ADOM.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: July 14, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »

I hope Slugsnouts are nerfed severely. I've lost the last four of my level 7+ characters to them. They are complete horseshit, they apparently have an organic 'bone-bullet' that does 8+ damage and fires every round. Also; ignoring armor. Once you find one, you'll know exactly what I mean.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: July 14, 2012, 08:05:53 pm »

They're supposed to be a wake-up-call.  If your character can't face them, though, you're going to be screwed once you get to Golgotha, trust me -- it only gets harder from there.  You need to rethink your character build, basically.

Try to focus on one or more of the following:

1.  An escape option that guarantees at least short term safety.  The Teleport or Phasing mutations are good for this.  When you see something dangerous like a Slugsnout, get away immediately.

2.  A way of killing or incapacitating dangerous enemies very quickly.  Charge or a powerful ranged attack is essential for non-mutants (and doesn't hurt for mutants, either), but obviously if you're relying on charge you also need to be deadly at close range.  For mutants, Sunder Mind or one of the AOE blast mutations works; so do the stinger mutations, the hand blasts, etc.

3.  High HP.  Try not to make characters with less than 18 toughness unless you're really sure you know what you're doing (and have a lot of other stuff from this list to cover you.)  A level ~7 character who isn't insanely focused in one area ought to have enough HP to tank at least a few hits from slugsnouts; if you're insanely focused in one area and are dumping toughness, your area of focus needs to be powerful enough to kill enemies like that quickly.

4.  Very high dodge.  This is much, much less reliable than the other options, but it does help against Slugsnouts.

5.  Early ways of detecting enemies.  Clairvoyance, domination, sharp hearing (you'll have to level it up for it to give you enough warning, but it's worth it), etc.  With Clairvoyance + Sunder Mind you can even kill enemies before they know you're there (but again, if you rely too heavily on this Golgotha will eat you alive.)

6.  Allies.  Use Proselytize, Beguiling, or Burgeoning to get people who will soak damage for you.

I was playing a character earlier with Fragile Bones, Teleportation, Phasing, and Electrical Generation (remember, Fragile Bones meant that slugsnouts would do +50% damage to me!); but they weren't a problem.  When I ran into a dangerous enemy like that, I'd phase in close to them, hit them with my stored Electrical Generation, then teleport to safety if that doesn't work.  Another variation uses Poison Stinger instead (hit and run until they die of poisoning, naturally, though unlike Electrical Generation you can't use your stinger while phased.)

What sort of builds are you using?  What sort of character are you trying to play?  I can give more specific advice if I know that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:28:25 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: July 15, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »

*Added descriptions of the object a disk creates to the description of data disks
*Fixed an issue where equipping an item out of a chest would leave a reference in the chest
*Fixed arconaut skill display during creation
*Fixed spelling error on game result screen
*Fixed a visibility exception
*Fixed an issue where when NPCs with unstable genome triggered the mutation, the player to be prompted to pick a mutation

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: July 15, 2012, 11:16:34 pm »

Nice. I played this game a while back and it was pretty fun. Is there a complete end-game, is it possible to beat the game or is it more open ended?

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: July 16, 2012, 12:10:32 am »

@Aoi: Same for me...it's weird..water is supposed to be rare commodity, but it's much easier to obtain water than food..
Also, is it possible to use the chests in Joppa for storage?.

I don't think you can use the chests that are already in Jappa, but what i did was I found a chest, well a few, and put them in one of the houses in Jappa that was empty and use it as my store room, I store all sorts of things in there.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »

Nice. I played this game a while back and it was pretty fun. Is there a complete end-game, is it possible to beat the game or is it more open ended?

I'm not sure there is a complete mid-game.  The starting town has a zealot whom talks about the six-day-silt, but there is nothing there.  Upstairs is a disconnected void, downstairs seems to be a totally random dungeon.

Also not sure if there is anything meaningful beyond the gold door, seems to just be a load of random levels with an elevator.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: July 16, 2012, 06:05:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure that endgame is incomplete since, well, after one quest in a major line, you get a message saying that it's incomplete. =P
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: July 16, 2012, 08:00:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure that endgame is incomplete since, well, after one quest in a major line, you get a message saying that it's incomplete. =P

I'm only aware of three quest lines.  Two of them are completeable (one being the watervine thing, which presumably gives background to the quests for the tinkering guy -- other being the one for the goatman pariah guy).  Those are both very short.

The last one (starts with the tinker) is much longer and I haven't gotten to the end of it.  This would be the "main" quest as far as I can tell.

Which one are you talking about?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: July 16, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »

Also not sure if there is anything meaningful beyond the gold door, seems to just be a load of random levels with an elevator.
There is something meaningful down there, yes.  Take the elevator as low as you can (pay attention to what floor you're on) and keep descending.  You'll know when you're almost there.

Also, a spoiler about something you'll pass on the way:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:27:41 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »

I'm only aware of three quest lines.  Two of them are completeable (one being the watervine thing, which presumably gives background to the quests for the tinkering guy -- other being the one for the goatman pariah guy).  Those are both very short.

The last one (starts with the tinker) is much longer and I haven't gotten to the end of it.  This would be the "main" quest as far as I can tell.

Which one are you talking about?

Well... that'd be the one you haven't finished yet. =P

Edit: Thanks, lemon10, for that post under mine... reminding me that this board does, indeed, have a spoiler tag.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:27:39 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 16, 2012, 11:51:52 pm »

There is something meaningful down there, yes.  Take the elevator as low as you can (pay attention to what floor you're on) and keep descending.  You'll know when you're almost there.

Also, a spoiler about something you'll pass on the way:
Yeah, as far as I can remember, he is one of the most dangerous uniques (second most dangerous in my opinion though), the only thing more threatening then which are the things in the deathlands (which are made even more annoying by the fact that they are non-unique, and can have numerous ones on the same screen).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 250