Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38

Author Topic: Jade Court - Game Over - All's Well That Ends Well  (Read 30972 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Jade Court - Nomination Day 1 - Gathered For The Sake Of The Future
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2022, 07:21:11 pm »

Max, this would make for a very fine courtly drama. Please don't assassinate me due to your pique at being upstaged.

Seriously though, what are your thoughts about Strategy A and B? What do you think the Onyx do in this situation?
I don't know why you've excluded the possibility that, even following Strategy A, there might be scum voting for town. After all, the voting period is of known length and there's plenty of time to switch after making some pretense of a convincing argument, like happened in the TricMagic game just now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2022, 07:24:43 pm »

A reasonable point, it could well be too early to say much based on the votes. It's hard to say how the dynamics will be different when voting for town candidates vs the normal voting for scum candidates.

I'll revisit this day 2. Council members can still post in the thread, right?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2022, 07:28:53 pm »

Also, I decided I should add, we can't really assume that the Onyx are fully coordinated either. The last few games have been ones where the mafia didn't often work together well, for various reasons, don't you think? To be fair, in the TricMagic game, they didn't have a chat, but even some times when they did have chats, there hasn't been much coordination. We should obviously be aware of the possibility of such a strategy, but we shouldn't ignore interpretations where the Onyx are just working at odds to each other by accident, or one (or more) might not be paying enough attention to have followed orders yet. For example, a hypothetical scum member who hasn't been around much or has only been posting superficially might be voting, or not voting, according to outdated information.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2022, 07:31:00 pm »

I'll revisit this day 2. Council members can still post in the thread, right?

Nominated players may still freely post and cast Nomination votes. Nominated players may not cast Election votes.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2022, 07:49:40 pm »

Egan_BW is probably scum. Something about them makes me feel wary, and I don't like it. Like watching them play as scum in KWN. It's off-putting.

Feel free to compare that against a game where I was town. Besides, in that game my objective was to destroy the mafia faction anyways. Consider that I might just not have the right skills for this game.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2022, 07:53:56 pm »

Good good.

I think it's likely Onyx will rely in part on ability tricks. The most likely scenario I think is the the council has 1 Onyx, 2 Jade, and so with 7 voters, 5 of them Jade, they'd still be outnumbered if the Jade votes are more or less evenly split.

Ppe: Egan, tell me what scum's strategy most likely will be

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2022, 07:56:19 pm »

Voting cabal for emperor and not court?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2022, 07:59:28 pm »

Sounds legit

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2022, 08:02:54 pm »

Oh that's devious. It fits with strategy B then: total distancing between themselves, and a hope that town spontaneously vote at least one of them onto the court.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2022, 08:21:15 pm »

Thus, the gathered ten began their deliberations. As philosophers were wont to do, they discussed the nature of engagement and playfulness. As strategists preferred, they debated the tactics of the fallen Emperor's assassins. As studied scholars and sages would, they discussed the true nature of evil and its lurking shape in the form of the traitors, those loyal to the Onyx Court.

And they cast their first votes.

Quote from: Votecount
EuchreJack - 0
Maximum Spin - 1: Maximum Spin
Roden - 0
Jim Groovester - 3: EuchreJack, Jim Groovester, Egan_BW
Egan_BW - 0
Knightwing64 - 0
notquitethere - 4: notquitethere, ToonyMan, webadict, Roden
webadict - 0
reina - 1: reina
ToonyMan - 0

Votes Unused (1): Knightwing64

As usual, please correct me if you notice any errors in the votecount.

As a reminder, Day 1 will end 8 PM Central time, Monday the 16th. That's around four days from now, two if you don't count weekends.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2022, 09:36:27 pm »

I am serious, though, I think having ToonyMan nominated Day 3 is a good idea.
I mean, I approve of course.

I'm going to keep supporting Jim, as I see Jim as slightly townleaning whereas NQT as scummy.
I don't understand this logic. Doesn't NQT look better than Jim here?

Webadict is probably town too. I'm more sure of this then Jim or NQT or Jack right now. They seem genuinely willing to vote me as a nominee, which only works as a motive if they know they can get a Cabal member nominated.
@Toony: WTF is a Cabal?
Eh, forgetaboutit!

I could see scum and town notquitethere both making that post, but I think town notquitethere more readily and easily makes that post than scum notquitethere does. Really I'd say any town player in general more readily makes that post than any scum player does. It comes across as fun rather than a careful and calculated move to advance an agenda.
I strongly agree. I think scum!NQT would be much more cowardly.

As for Cabal, my role PM doesn't mention the word.  I do see the enemy faction is called the Onyx Cabal, so maybe I didn't understand Toonyman's post.
@Toonyman: What did you mean by your statement? I think I might understand, but maybe you can clarify for me?
I think Webadict is being serious about wanting to nominate me. If Webadict is part of the Onyx Cabal then he must also nominate himself or another one of his members or he will lose the game.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2022, 09:42:31 pm »

Webadict is probably town too. I'm more sure of this then Jim or NQT or Jack right now. They seem genuinely willing to vote me as a nominee, which only works as a motive if they know they can get a Cabal member nominated.

Reread your role PM and come back to me on that one.
Uh... Like, I don't wanna be meta, but... Well...
I feel like this got ignored. I see Jim as being pretty good at the game and not being liable to scum slip like that, but this looks glaringly like a slip.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2022, 09:44:59 pm »

I feel like this got ignored. I see Jim as being pretty good at the game and not being liable to scum slip like that, but this looks glaringly like a slip.
Shhhh...

Yeah, so anyway, Roden and Euchre are Town, obvs.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2022, 09:48:06 pm »

Tin Foil Hat Time

Is this sequence organic??

Jim Groovester
Jim Groovester
Jim Groovester
I find the sequence odd, but wouldn't this imply that Jim is Onyx Cabal?

science
analysis
Me like.

My impression is that Web is implying that Jack townslipped. I somewhat agree depending on how much I want to over or under estimate Jack.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2022, 09:51:31 pm »

Sounds legit
This is some big brain shit.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38