Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing made in sets  (Read 1478 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Clothing made in sets
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:55:06 am »

I personally find the detail of having 20 different items of clothing on each Dwarf to be overkill (and theirs the insanity of them carrying one sock at a time but that applies to a dozen different areas of the game) but at least let us MAKE clothing in sets.

The player would get to choose between a few different types of clothing sets though, a bit like how cooking is handled.  Some brainstormed clothing sets...

Cheap - made with a small amount of plant fiber and very quick to make, the basic default starting clothing
Work - made with half plant fiber, half leather and more total material then cheap cloths, wears out more slowly and is preferable when doing work, may prevent minor work injuries
Warm - made with cloth and fur (obtained from fur animals) more total material then cheap clothing, negates or mitigates negative effects of cold allowing dwarfs on the surface in cold climates and winter to be more happy and productive
Formal - Made with half silk and half plant fiber, more total material and work time then cheap clothing, ingresses the happiness gain from a party or weeding event.  Most dwarfs will desire these once basic needs are met.
Fancy - Made mostly of silk, even higher material and time required over fancy, Nobles from Mayor level up are unhappy if not waring these, particularly wealthy dwarfs will want these too.
Royal - Large amounts of silk and some additional fur, no plant fiber, high production time, Highest level nobles will demand these

A set of new clothing would always be made of the same material (but not necessarily the same quality) and act as a 'pseudo-container' in inventory management you see the "Set of Pigtail and beaver leather Work cloths" and the individual items indented as if in a bin, at minimum an upper body and lower body article form an incomplete set.  Dwarfs seek to always complete sets that are missing an item when they store a piece of clothing.  Sets complete or incomplete are carried as one item and are not broken up unless incomplete and the pieces can be used to complete/fill gaps in one or more other sets.  Threadbare pieces are replaced with new clothing and then threadbare sets are created from the discarded items, threadbare sets can be mismatched materials (material modifiers are ignored and treated as value of 1 to it truly is irrelevant) and are very cheap so poor dwarfs can afford them easily.

The different sets comprise individual articles of clothing that are specific to it and generic to many types of sets, so for example Work cloths and only work cloths includes an apron but all but the cheap set includes socks, Fancy cloths includes a puffy hat unique to it etc etc. (shoes are not included in a set but leather workers could make shoes with the same system)
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Shinsetsu777

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing made in sets
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »

But wouldn't this be unnecessary once the workshops et al are converted to have reactions -like the smelter-. For example, in goes 5 units of leather, out comes 1 leather right sock; 1 leather left sock; 1 leather trousers; etc.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »

That would indeed be an improvement with multiple items resulting from one clothing-making 'reaction' but their would still be the issue of carrying sets of clothing.  Currently one sock is a full load for a dwarf to carry with sets of clothing acting as containers the transport of clothing becomes much simpler as well.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Shinsetsu777

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:52:27 pm »

I see but I feel that a system that clumps the bits together in some way is a little unwieldy. I wonder if you be able to indicate to the workshop that when it undertook to make the set it could put the lot in a bag (much like the still puts booze in a barrel). This could then be hauled as one object. Does that sound all right?

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:47 pm »

I see but I feel that a system that clumps the bits together in some way is a little unwieldy. I wonder if you be able to indicate to the workshop that when it undertook to make the set it could put the lot in a bag (much like the still puts booze in a barrel). This could then be hauled as one object. Does that sound all right?

I fully agree. Although I believe item handling will be improved in the future, allowing formation of stacks.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:34 pm »

I don't see why its unwieldy, your 'clothing in bag' idea would be functionally identical but necessitate the production of an extra bag.  I'm not saying the set of clothing is immutable, far from it its just acting as a pseudo-container with a convenient labeling system, think of it as a mixed stack of clothing, items can be removed from it making the set incomplete and then replaced restoring it to completeness.  A dwarf can ware an incomplete set and the set will gain/loss items as the dwarf puts-on/takes-off clothing, a corpse can be 'looted' of its clothing set which can be hauled away as on one item.  Were all familiar with preparing a set of cloths when we go to the gym or pool and thinking of and using it as a unit, its not at all hard to stack and carry one set of cloths without a container, in fact you can carry several easily, a bag much like a sailor would carry can hold many sets of clothing or an larger number of separate pieces of clothing or even a combination of the two.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:10:52 pm »

Maybe the single reaction just creates multiple items at once, much easier, while we're at it, might as well throw in: Let the dwarves carry more than one small items, like SOCKS.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:13 pm »

Then there's the separate issue of reactions not seeming to have qualities.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 03:00:20 pm »

Formal - Made with half silk and half plant fiber, more total material and work time then cheap clothing, ingresses the happiness gain from a party or weeding event.  Most dwarfs will desire these once basic needs are met.

Urist McFather:"Hey Urist McSon get your smart clothes on, we're going down to weed the fields!"
Urist McSon:"But dad! Weedings are soooooooo boring!"

Oh yeah and shops should sell sets AND individual clothes. And maybe have a fashion system whereby when the wagon comes they tells the dwarves "Yeah the new look is pigtail with blade weed sock!" and then the nobles will demand a pigtail set with blade weed socks and the set will be randomly named in dwarven, then when people see the nobles wearing it demand for the set will go up as will the prices the shop keepers charge.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:26:12 pm »

I like the idea, but...

Fancy - Made mostly of silk, even higher material and time required over fancy, Nobles from Mayor level up are unhappy if not waring these, particularly wealthy dwarfs will want these too.
Royal - Large amounts of silk and some additional fur, no plant fiber, high production time, Highest level nobles will demand these

Do we really need to give the nobles more to complain about?
edit: Also, this would make silk very, very important to the mental stability of nobles... which, in turn, makes magma more important.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:35:23 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:08:11 am »

Ultimately, it might be nice to just instruct your clothesmaker to just "Make clothes." and set it to repeat.  The clothesmaker would spit out a more-or-less random assortment, perhaps biased toward replacement of worn-out clothes and his own tastes.  Then dwarves could pick and choose the ensembles they desire according to their preferences and needs.

Maybe dwarves get used to wearing a certain thing (get a mild happy thought from it) and clothesmakers get used to creating certain sorts of things, and boom - culture.  Every dwarf is wearing a kilt.  Or a robe.  Or sandals instead of boots.