Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Game Over - Good Wins  (Read 6041 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Demonology ½: A Prototype - Game Over - Good Wins
« on: March 05, 2024, 11:03:48 pm »

On the northern coast of Lake Forlorn, Lost, a small town of only a few thousand, goes about its own business.  It gets its fair share of visitors from out of town:  Family, friends, and the occasional passerby.  There isn’t much to see, a bar and restaurant, a small general store, a cafe with a real sword hanging above a wood fireplace, and a novelty bookstore with a gothic motif run by a thin elderly man.  Any who enter his bookstore seldom find what they were looking for, but nevertheless leave with a simple warning.

“Do not go beyond the pine trees.”

When inevitably asked why, he’ll tell you that it’s trouble, that he can feel it in his bones, that danger lurks there.  Once he spoke of a ritual that hadn’t been finished and the demons required that blood be spilled, but the patron had left the store before he could finish.  These people don’t think too much of it.  But some do.  You do.

It's a long story of fighting back, but here you are now, beyond the pine trees.  You have found the Chosen One and readied for a final confrontation with Evil itself.

This is Demonology, a Mafia game where all available Actions for Good and Evil alike are known.  The game is meant to take influence from longer running franchise games like Paranormal and Supernatural, evolving with time.  Currently, this game is a prototype, and is therefore extremely unpolished.  You are welcome and encouraged to ask questions, comment, suggest changes, and point out obvious flaws in the setup either pre- or post-game, and these may affect the game as it goes.  If you have ideas, you can also throw them out, and they may be added!

The current list of Actions and Roles will be posted in the following post.

Evil is also quite pernicious in this game and has developed countermeasures against you that you may not recognize.  These have been noted as follows:

- Evil choose 1 of 3 Chosen Ones they wish to fight.
     - All chats (Evilchat included) are locked during the Day, and cannot be posted in (though you are free to read any messages from previous Days.)  You may not quote from a chat, either.
     - Non-Evil characters will be given a Role to fakeclaim that they Investigate as (though they will not have all of those Actions.)
     - The Evilkill is allowed to use a Called Shot, allowing Evil to call the Role of the target (This fails against fake Roles.)[/li][/list]
     - Players may only target each other Player up to once per Night unless any extra Actions are (Sync)hronous
     - Abilities are Ranked, with the highest power being Ranked I and decreasing to different levels based on the Ability.
     - Abilities contain a Rank 0 Ability, only available by Overloading an Ability.

Spoiler: Basic rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Webadict on Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Webadict on Alignments (click to show/hide)

Players:
    - Crystalizedmire
    - Elephant Parade
    - Imp
    - Maximum Spin
    - Quarque
    - TricMagic
    - This could be you!
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:28:29 pm by webadict »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Sign-Ups: 0 / 7+
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 11:05:36 pm »

Actions
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Roles
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:25:57 pm by webadict »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 11:10:28 pm »

In

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 11:15:55 pm »

In scum hands, Broaden could let scum end the game at what would otherwise be MYLO. Is that desirable?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 11:23:49 pm »

...the pine trees...
    For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
    If there is one, then seek until you find it.
    If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 01:25:39 am »

In

Minor nitpick, I would prefer the original numbering for ability grades, where I is weakest and IV is strongest. Seems more intuitive.

How strict is the rule about not quoting chats? Should we just avoid literal quotes, can you mention that you're in a chat with someone for instance? Can you say that you're sure that Johnny is a demon because of "something he said in a private chat with me"?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 09:17:52 am »

In scum hands, Broaden could let scum end the game at what would otherwise be MYLO. Is that desirable?
    It is known, but I think Elo breakers should involve two or more scum alive, so I'll change it.

In

Minor nitpick, I would prefer the original numbering for ability grades, where I is weakest and IV is strongest. Seems more intuitive.

How strict is the rule about not quoting chats? Should we just avoid literal quotes, can you mention that you're in a chat with someone for instance? Can you say that you're sure that Johnny is a demon because of "something he said in a private chat with me"?

Same as mod messages.  No direct quotes, paraphrases welcome.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 12:53:00 pm »

In.

Do pure Vote posts count as posts for the day?

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 02:39:18 pm »

In order to improve my scum play, Imp, what was the thing that made me think I was acting oddly in heist mafia?
    she/her

webadict

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 03:03:28 pm »

In.

Do pure Vote posts count as posts for the day?
    Absolutely.  Don't waste them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 03:12:59 pm »

I sort of agree, but I like some Abilities not having a Rank equivalent.  I don't think Kill V (Kill I) should exist, for instance, and jumping straight to a higher rank might be a different type of issue.

Both have their own flaws.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 03:26:53 pm »

In order to improve my scum play, Imp, what was the thing that made me think I was acting oddly in heist mafia?

I thought you did really good that game, until your had your villainous breakdown before you secured your win.

However, early on, that quarrel between you and the actual scum, both of you insisting I was town, but fighting each other.  Then you were pretty fast to waffle.  Overall, not many clues to your untownieness that I caught, nice work.
    For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
    If there is one, then seek until you find it.
    If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
      • View Profile
    Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Sign-Ups: 5 / 7+
    « Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 03:32:07 pm »

I suppose I will play this too.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • It’s shite being Scottish
      • View Profile
    Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Sign-Ups: 6 / 7+
    « Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 06:47:51 pm »

I’ll PTW for the time being.
    Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 08:58:31 pm »

I thought you did really good that game, until your had your villainous breakdown before you secured your win.
    Are you sure it isn't evil gloating?
    she/her
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15