Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will letting humanoids live in peace prevent animal spawning?  (Read 1166 times)

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a troglodyte tribe (10 guys) living on the first cavern. I have laid out traps on my cavern, but nothing has spawned except for a forgotten ash beast, for the last 3 years.

If I kill the troglodyte tribe living on the cavern corner, will the underground animals start spawning?

I have not encountered any Animal Men yet, but do they prevent above-ground animal spawning as well?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will letting humanoids live in peace prevent animal spawning?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:32:59 am »

The animalmen...  they are animals in the sense of the spawn mechanisms certainly if you are playing vanilla and occupy space.  If you have some mod packet including the stealthy animalman thief/snatchers they are invaders and handle like a goblin.

But yes the Trogs are blocking underground animal spawns, they need to leave the map, enter a cage or die.

They are not an underground civ so much as a wild pack of animals that has spawned and not left.  If this is a 40_xx version my suspicioin is they climbed up walls and got stuck, probably when the FB showed up.  Shoot 'em till its done.

When its actually a little tribe you get piles of goods on the ground around them.  Cave swallow men for instance.  Or they used to work that way, think they even appeared on civ screen, maybe things have changed.  But i'm pretty sure your Trogs are animals like game on the surface.

edit: checking RAWs.... nope.  Trogs CAN_LEARN but lack INTELLIGENT.  Animal, your dwarves will even butcher and eat them as non-sentient.  They just happen to be the same shape as you.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:50:08 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:24:42 am »

Trogs CAN_LEARN but lack INTELLIGENT.  Animal, your dwarves will even butcher and eat them as non-sentient.  They just happen to be the same shape as you.
As stated on the wiki (which is based on my own disassembly analysis), INTELLIGENT is nothing more than an alias for CAN_SPEAK plus CAN_LEARN, and CAN_LEARN is what defines being sentient (and is linked to the EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER ethic).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:40:13 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:22:59 pm »

Well I really want more animals to tame so I went ahead and killed them, civilized or not.

They were all stuck up the walls like celem said. They all came down as one group when my squad arrived, and spawned 4 troglodyte babies as soon as they hit the ground. I guess they held their babies in for three years.

EDIT: Actually, according to the kill list, it seems that the numbers did not increase, its just the name of the Troglodytes that changed. Some of the "Troglodytes" changed into "Troglodyte Baby" when they climbed back down.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:41:43 pm by clownwolf »