Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: List of Vampire Facts  (Read 93752 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: List of Vampire Facts
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:07 am »

Create 4 waypoints in each corner of your embark area.  Create one squad for vampires, remove any bedrooms they may own.  Make them patrol those 4 waypoints until the next Goblins or topside megabeast shows up.  Then you'll be rid of them.  I'd worry about the hunters but they tend to sleep outside in your animal pens, make sure the vampires are nowhere near those.  Link the 4th waypoint with the 1st, so they don't cross over anywhere, but continue to patrol your map edge.  Sincerely, Knutor
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:32:14 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2012, 04:33:23 am »

I tried that, now I have 4 super powerfull zombies killing my migrants.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2012, 04:57:52 am »

<post to watch>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2012, 05:23:04 am »

Create 4 waypoints in each corner of your embark area.  Create one squad for vampires, remove any bedrooms they may own.  Make them patrol those 4 waypoints until the next Goblins or topside megabeast shows up.  Then you'll be rid of them.  I'd worry about the hunters but they tend to sleep outside in your animal pens, make sure the vampires are nowhere near those.  Link the 4th waypoint with the 1st, so they don't cross over anywhere, but continue to patrol your map edge.  Sincerely, Knutor

Won't work. they'll ignore duty orders and go kill people. I had a vampire wander off a station order and go kill someone.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2012, 07:50:11 am »

Do Vampires ignore burrows when they feed too?
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:28 am »

Hey,

I don't know where people have been writing this, but is it really possible to purposely infect other dwarves with vampirism?
Had to restart my last game (with a kickass vampire king and such), because of the save incompatibility/corruption.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:05 pm »

I believe if you dump a bleeding vampire down your well and then force the dwarves to drink the water then they will become vampires.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »

Haven't implemented this yet (no Vampires in current fortress), but I think it'd be a good way to deal with any unwanted Vampires.

You'd put them in a squad, then dig out a small barracks for them on the outside of your fort, but near your entrance. Wall off the room using a drawbridge, connect that bridge to a lever on the inside your fort. Station them in the room, close the bridge, then set them to train. If needed, you could pull the lever to let them out during a siege or attack.

Thoughts on why this wouldn't work?

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:06 pm »

You can simply lock them with a door. I have an engraver vampire that I lock in future noble rooms so he can smooth and engrave them. I lock the door when he's working, and when he's done I put him in a squad and closely monitor him while he walk to the next room.

He never tried to escape yet tough, so maybe he hasn't felt The Thirst yet.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »

Maybe keep them lever locked in a 1x1 room until the telltale merchant arrives.  Do merchants still harken the approach of Goblin sieges?  Release them after the trade finished or stuff gets unloaded.  Yeah, I hadn't thought about the migrant effects.  That's a problem for sure.  Thanks for the reply.  Ack!  I've spent too much time reading Legends and not playing.  Sincerely, Knutor

Ack again.  Guess that would have to be a 4x1 room, so there was room for 4 levers to assign each Vamp to pull.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »

Yes, but there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it.
So it's as good as an instant kill. Even in a squad you can't order them anywhere, no one will intervene, 9 times out of 10 the dwarf will die.
Can be stopped and their arrival can be turned into an advantage... read the original post.

Sorry, didn't read the full Thread, just wanna tell you about the 4 Vampires in Fort.

They don't. They don't even fall asleep, they're just standing there, waiting for me to open the door again and my stupid Hammerer, who also seems to be bugged, doesn't punish them. ("No appropriate weapon found"). So right now, I have no option to kill them. I can't drown them, I can't starve them and I don't trust Magma (another bug here). So... what should I do? I have to get rid of them somehow, I mean there could come more with the next migration wave!

Read the original post... it answers your question and provides ideas for turning them into an advantage.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:58:47 pm by NTJedi »

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2012, 03:15:48 pm »

I'm designing an anti vampire plan which includes scorpions

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Haven't implemented this yet (no Vampires in current fortress), but I think it'd be a good way to deal with any unwanted Vampires.

You'd put them in a squad, then dig out a small barracks for them on the outside of your fort, but near your entrance. Wall off the room using a drawbridge, connect that bridge to a lever on the inside your fort. Station them in the room, close the bridge, then set them to train. If needed, you could pull the lever to let them out during a siege or attack.

Thoughts on why this wouldn't work?

As soon as you open the door if they were hungry and had a path they'd go kill and not fight.

Can be stopped and their arrival can be turned into an advantage... read the original post.
only via metagaming if you noticed it fast enough. The vampire is likely to attempt to feed again very quickly as well, I guess if you want to endlessly destroy beds so no one can sleep..and what if he attacks someone passed out on the floor?
No.. you can't reliably stop a vampire attack every time.

The advantage is slight at best. There is no huge advantage from having a vampire there. The micromanagement to ensure they don't destroy your dwarves is far too high.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2012, 06:35:55 pm »

The hard part is identifying them, altough depending on how well-hidden they are, a simple scan when migrants arrive could suffice. After that, they can be quickly locked in a closed room (can someone confirm it ? It work fine for me so far). Exploiting them require a bit more micromanagement however...

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2012, 07:04:35 pm »

---

old duplicate
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:06:51 pm by NTJedi »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18