Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1750 1751 [1752] 1753 1754 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8773568 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #26265 on: April 02, 2011, 06:39:41 pm »

Oh. Well I think you essentially hit the nail on the head with that, since it seems the complaints are all indeed about "service." Because obviously there's no way that a game can appeal to straight guys unless it's sexually...
No, the "servicing" part is about Bioware not making games for het male only (or near only), thus servicing them. Not about the characters' action in games. Though yeah, it kinda fits there as well, but that's kinda grasping. Anyway, I think David Gaider (who I do not usually find myself agreeing much with) of Bioware summed up the cause of this ridiculous kind of sentiment quite well:

Quote from: David Gaider
And if there is any doubt why such an opinion might be met with hostility, it has to do with privilege. You can write it off as "political correctness" if you wish, but the truth is that privilege always lies with the majority. They're so used to being catered to that they see the lack of catering as an imbalance. They don't see anything wrong with having things set up to suit them, what's everyone's fuss all about? That's the way it should be, any everyone else should be used to not getting what they want.
Spoiled brats are spoiled.

Also lol on Gayder, just to get it over with. ;)
(...There should really be a *childish* smiley to make sure people now I'm just being.. well, childish)

edit: This is so much worse, though, and I somehow missed it when I read the thread earlier today:
Its ridiculous that I even have to use a term like Straight Male Gamer, when in the past I would only have to say fans.
Get out of my gaming and back into my kitchen(/suitable stereotypical "homosexual" activity), woman(/gay people)! How dare you have interest that coincides with mine!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:48:25 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26266 on: April 02, 2011, 06:52:20 pm »

Doesn't terribly depress me. These are companies that do everything else to appeal to their largest demographics, it's not a stretch to see that they only put into female companions what will sell and not investing a penny more. I would be sad if a company that focuses on making games were to do that, but this is asking too much of some companies without working over the whole making games purely for a profit thing. At that point you had best face Dreamworks before ever setting foot on the games industry.
The lack of female presence in games is a shame, but it doesn't depress me since it's been the norm for such a long time now. It's the idea that making games with such a narrow perspective is actually seen by some people as a good thing that depresses me. Does every RPG need to basically be a harem targeted towards men? Don't we have better things to worry about than generally mediocre romantic subplots?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26267 on: April 02, 2011, 06:53:40 pm »

It's not something to be concerned about.  I ignore it and live a happy life involving other things I'm actually interested in.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26268 on: April 02, 2011, 06:56:38 pm »

BRB, going to go ask God about giving me a different body to be born into, so that I can just ignore it as the norm rather than, you know, lots of my existence =)

Later, dudes <3

... I don't know if you're saying "Well, Vector, just ignore it!  It's normal!" but if you are, buzz off.  That normal makes me pissed :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26269 on: April 02, 2011, 06:58:35 pm »

Vector, knowing you, you would prove god, and use it as blackmail against him. That would be how you are.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26270 on: April 02, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »

Vector, knowing you, you would prove god, and use it as blackmail against him. That would be how you are.

... Sadly, yes =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26271 on: April 02, 2011, 07:01:28 pm »

I wasn't talking to you Vector.  It was over the video game thing.  I know you're born as who you are Vector.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26272 on: April 02, 2011, 07:02:07 pm »

There there. Its entirely awesome to do that. even if I already beat you to it.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26273 on: April 02, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »

I am interested in Bioware RPGs, though. I'm interested in them for the writing, and in my eyes having a variety of perspectives is an important part of good writing. I want to see things a different way than I normally do. I know what it's like to be a straight male, that's boring. I'd like to have something different.

Oh well, it's not like anyone is going to listen to these guys.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26274 on: April 02, 2011, 07:04:49 pm »

I wasn't talking to you Vector.  It was over the video game thing.  I know you're born as who you are Vector.

I was explaining about why I'm raging, rather than walking off and going "well, okay" myself.

Oh, and also: hundreds of proofs of God's existence.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:07:50 pm by Vector »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26275 on: April 02, 2011, 07:10:31 pm »

I am interested in Bioware RPGs, though. I'm interested in them for the writing, and in my eyes having a variety of perspectives is an important part of good writing. I want to see things a different way than I normally do. I know what it's like to be a straight male, that's boring. I'd like to have something different.

I've always been disinterested in Bioware RPGs because I felt they failed at this.  I've played Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights... never found a dialogue option I actually wanted to choose.  Stereotypical role options always so shallow, and nothing but a pretentious dressing on what's still essentially leveling up and collecting loot ftw.  At least something like Diablo can be straightforward about it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26276 on: April 02, 2011, 07:12:45 pm »

Yeah, though there's always the Diablo corpse debate =/

I sort of gave Bioware kudos for even trying, even if they sucked at it.  Sucky games make one realize that the format could be done better and, you know, still entertaining.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26277 on: April 02, 2011, 07:14:47 pm »

They've actually put in some effort, taking into consideration everything.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26278 on: April 02, 2011, 07:21:36 pm »

Yeah, though there's always the Diablo corpse debate =/

I sort of gave Bioware kudos for even trying, even if they sucked at it.  Sucky games make one realize that the format could be done better and, you know, still entertaining.

I'm unaware of the Diablo corpse debate?  Also, definitely not saying Blizzard is a better company making better games.  Just that they embrace what their games are in terms of core gameplay (click fest number farming), allowing them to develop that aspect further and make obstacles/interruptions to core gameplay purely optional, which can be nice.

I have tons and tons of faith in gaming as a new and powerful form of storytelling and cultural evolution... it just needs to escape from the death grip corporatism has placed on it.  I do appreciate Bioware kinda trying.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26279 on: April 02, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »

You can't really expect every game to be Planescape: Torment, either. Bioware games are about on the level of made-for-tv movies. Which puts them about ten paces ahead of everyone else in terms of narrative.

I think the best thing they're doing is setting an example though. They've proven that games with a heavy focus on story can sell well and that means a lot in terms of getting those types of games made and getting them to improve.
Pages: 1 ... 1750 1751 [1752] 1753 1754 ... 8156