Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opening NWN back up  (Read 1655 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Opening NWN back up
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:05:21 am »

As the title might suggest, i'm opening NWN back up. This time with the second one. I have really good memories of playing with people and roleplaying and all that good stuff.

Do people still do that? Is it any different in any way?

(Installing NWN 2 as we speak.)

EDIT: I mean i've roleplayed with people in the first one. I wasn't able to play the second, my computer was just too laggy when I tried. I'm assuming I can now since I can run AvP on full blast with my new graphics card.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:07:01 am by PCpaste »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Opening NWN back up
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:11:33 am »

I'm pretty sure the NWN community has shrunk somewhat, considering  the age of the game, but I'd still be up for a co-op.

Besides, I might actually be able to finish the game this way.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:30:20 am »

The second one didn't have the multi-player success of the first one.  In order to join a server, you had to find which one you wanted to join, find the server's website, and download the map information.  You also had to repeat this every time there was a change to one of the maps.  I don't think the fact that some servers wanted "applications" helped with it.  Overall, the game failed to have the booming success of its predecessor.

It certainly wasn't a terrible game, NWN2 was just geared more towards a single-player experience than a multi-player one, a decision radically different than the first one.

That's just my take on things, though - I got it on release day.  While I still enjoyed it, that was the last time I ever did that with a game.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:32:32 am »

NWN?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:25 am »

Any one of you has any experiences in running NWN2 on Windows 7? For some reason it appears that it can't be done and there is no patch which would fix that.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:54:22 am »

Neverwinter Nights, I would assume.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:55:43 am »

Any one of you has any experiences in running NWN2 on Windows 7? For some reason it appears that it can't be done and there is no patch which would fix that.

I run NWN2 on Windows 7 64-bit just fine, so I don't know what the problem is. Sorry.

NWN?

NeverWinter Nights.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 10:13:24 am »

I run NWN2 on Windows 7 64-bit just fine, so I don't know what the problem is. Sorry.

Well, on my machine it freezes up immediately after starting. From what I had read, it appeared to be a common problem.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 10:38:00 am »

I could be persuaded to fire up the first NWN again. In fact I probably still have it installed from my last bout of nostalgia. I've spent the better part of the last decade playing NWN, lots of fun.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 06:37:11 pm »

I didn't like NWN 2 nearly as much. Aside from being very poorly optimized, it aped KOTOR in a lot of ways that just made me think "KOTOR was better".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Halfman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:52:35 pm »

I would be interested in this. Bought the platinum edition on steam a while ago but don't play it much any more. Someone PM me if it ever gets going.