Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Teldin's Creaturepack - coming soon, taking requests  (Read 1627 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Teldin's Creaturepack - coming soon, taking requests
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:20:40 pm »

I've been doing a good amount of modding on the new version in between the dreaded Real Life stuff and it's nearing completion. It's got some fun new surprises for people that have used my older versions of the creaturepack, plus some familiar and beloved oldies like the dreaded Purring Hornet, bane of all dwarfkind. I've been experimenting a lot with the new creature tokens in particular, so expect a lot of fun new stuff with secretions, breaths, and weird web sprays (beware bog trolls unless you enjoy your body rotting to pieces).

If anyone has any requests for particular monsters for me to test my chops on, just ask away here and I'll see what I can do. The creaturepack tends to be high fantasy monsters and Dungeons and Dragons creatures, but I'm willing to branch out a bit.

I'll respond to questions when possible, but my online time is iffy lately so don't expect anything quick!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Teldin's Creaturepack - coming soon, taking requests
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:31:28 pm »

Cool idea. May I ask you to avoid Illithids, Beholders, Umber Hulks, gelatinous cubes and balors? :P Or if you make them, give them a bit different names, maybe with some adjectives or alternatives (illithid <-> mind flayer)?

Because I want it to be compatible with Genesis mod. Also, awesome! :P I look forward to this.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:32:25 pm »

Glass Leopard?
I'd like glass statues.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »

Cool idea. May I ask you to avoid Illithids, Beholders, Umber Hulks, gelatinous cubes and balors? :P Or if you make them, give them a bit different names, maybe with some adjectives or alternatives (illithid <-> mind flayer)?

Because I want it to be compatible with Genesis mod. Also, awesome! :P I look forward to this.

Nothing I make should cause any problems with other mods even if the creature names are the same; I prefix all my creature tokens with T_ so that they will not overwrite other people's mods and cause problems (I do wish other modders would use the same consideration!). As for using the same actual names (ie beholders), you'll have to go by on a case-by-case basis and remove the ones you don't like; I can't just leave stuff out because someone else added some to a mod they made as well.  ;D

If you like, though, I can make a second version with any duplicates stripped from it.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:18:42 pm »

This is an odd request, perhaps too complicated.

Some sort of domesticated, caste-based insect. Have different castes useful for different things. The idea would basically to make a domesticated species that breeds quickly enough that it can be butchered and bred for genetic experiments. I mean, it'll have to be useful too, but...having something around specifically to play god with would be fun.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »

This is an odd request, perhaps too complicated.

Some sort of domesticated, caste-based insect. Have different castes useful for different things. The idea would basically to make a domesticated species that breeds quickly enough that it can be butchered and bred for genetic experiments. I mean, it'll have to be useful too, but...having something around specifically to play god with would be fun.

That's a really interesting idea, I haven't played around a lot with caste-level dimorphism in fortress mode before. I'll run some tests and see what I can come up with, I have just the right kind of insect in mind, too.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:56:22 pm »

Nothing I make should cause any problems with other mods even if the creature names are the same; I prefix all my creature tokens with T_ so that they will not overwrite other people's mods and cause problems (I do wish other modders would use the same consideration!). As for using the same actual names (ie beholders), you'll have to go by on a case-by-case basis and remove the ones you don't like; I can't just leave stuff out because someone else added some to a mod they made as well.  ;D

If you like, though, I can make a second version with any duplicates stripped from it.

I was mostly afraid that there could be duplicates in creature ID names, I don't mind similar-named critters :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 01:59:00 pm »

I was mostly afraid that there could be duplicates in creature ID names, I don't mind similar-named critters :).

Overlapping definitions was something that never occurred to me. I'll start working with this in mind in my mod, though I'll more than likely grab a few creatures from your collection and put into mine, if you don't mind.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 02:03:48 pm »

goblins with flying machines, and possibly more megabeasts, like maybe an alien beast.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »

Glass Leopard?
I'd like glass statues.

That sounds ridiculously cool. Kind of makes me want to go whip up some glass creatures, but the new creature raws are pretty intimidating...
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:19 am »

Just look at the bronze colossus, replace BRONZE with the material you want and change the body structure (and better add some "weak spot") :). That's how I made various gem golems for the upcoming 1.1 of the Genesis mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sdonourg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 02:18:58 am »

How about D&D Aboleths? They are simply awesome.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 02:43:01 am »

Hey, can you make a sort of four legged spider-human hybrid? Kinda like a Drider, but cooler.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 02:50:12 am »

I had aboleths by the way, just forgot to port them to 0.31.01. Thanks for reminding me :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sdonourg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:55:32 am »

2Deon, do you have amphibious aboleths, stygian aboleths, aerial aboleths (uobyliths) too?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:52:32 am by Sdonourg »
Pages: [1] 2