Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289441 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1590 on: February 10, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »

Good question.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 10, 2016, 02:43:39 pm »

Also unutterably stupid.

*returns to reading RationalWiki to restore their faith in humanity*

hey aren't those the guys who make shit up about roko's basilisk so they can more efficiently make fun of yudkowsky and his whole follower group

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 10, 2016, 03:19:26 pm »

(Hence why I think he's 'learnt' the basics about fission and now refuses to consider learning the basics about fusion, because "he now understands everything!", and doesn't need to learn any more.)

So, wait, theoretically, doesn't that mean that the universes "true" equilibrium would be when all matter is iron? Then there would be no way to release any more energy.

I'm sure that was postulated, at least several decades ago.  i.e. that at the heat-death of the universe all the regular matter that is left (which is not degenerate, or lost within singularities - which arguably is more so) is the iron-rich corpses of all the final stars, cooled and 'useless'.  (Though, with imagination, one could image some form of 'life' that continues to eke out a continued existence by a vastly slowed entropy-farming method - c.f. the Neutron Star inhabitants of Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward, but probably thematically more like lichens, and living at a crawl, not (by human terms) super-speed...)

But then we've developed theories such as the Big Rip, which might make this speculative end impossible from the sheer meaningless of the concept even of atomic nuclei, in the future that is distant enough to have reduced everything to just one or other of singularities, neutrons or impure and cooling iron...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: February 10, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »

Also unutterably stupid.

hey aren't those the guys who make shit up about roko's basilisk so they can more efficiently make fun of yudkowsky and his whole follower group
Uh, no?
I don't think they make anything up about the basilisk.  As far as I know.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: February 10, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »

(Hence why I think he's 'learnt' the basics about fission and now refuses to consider learning the basics about fusion, because "he now understands everything!", and doesn't need to learn any more.)

I can certainly assure you he's either never been to a college physics course, or didn't pay attention.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 10, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »

Rational wiki is, iirc, notorious for being chock full of crazies.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: February 10, 2016, 03:37:24 pm »

Rational wiki is, iirc, notorious for being chock full of crazies.
Is this a Poe's Law moment?  I think this is a Poe's Law moment...  They're pretty much the anticrazies.  Or so I gathered.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:12 pm »

Rationalwiki was started as an opposite of Conservapedia, a goal which they have succeeded at much more than they relaize.

Inb4 PoH posts snarky comments about the SJW conspiracy
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 10, 2016, 04:12:15 pm »

I can certainly assure you he's either never been to a college physics course, or didn't pay attention.
I don't think it's even college level, at least not in UK terms.  I think I was taught1 about fission (and fusion) in secondary school (tops out at age 16), and at Sixth Form College (the usually two years of pre-university non-compulsory education) the Physics probably went more into the maths and details, but didn't vastly change my basic impressions.

But I have difficulty enough working out how my 'old-style' year-of-school designations compare with the various numbers in the "K-12"-ish form now being used, over here, and the US form of "College" seems to be an entirely different span of ages.

But "not paying attention" covers a multitude of sins and (willingly or not) I assume that's what happened in this case.

1 This being a different time from having learnt about the subject.  I'm sure I'd been to nuclear power-station visitor centres2 even before I attained a double-figure age, certainly before I got to secondary school.
2 Always fun, with loads of 'interactive' exhibits demonstrating things in button-activated back-lit diagramatical form...  Much more fun than stately homes full of boring old furniture that you're not even supposed to touch.  Although a good largely-ruined castle with enough spiral staircases and rebuilt stone stairways to make the crenelated battlements accessible (with just the bare amount of modern safety barriers) is good, too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:14:54 pm by Starver »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 10, 2016, 04:14:43 pm »

I think you experienced a better educational system than many.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:16 pm »

Indeed.
Sigtext

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 10, 2016, 04:34:38 pm »

Also unutterably stupid.

Uh, no?

here, found it

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 10, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »

Indeed.
I think I just listened more in these subjects.  (And/or read more of the text-books than anyone asked me to, at a push.)  I'm not sure I was hot-housed to know this stuff.

Spoiler: Ramble (click to show/hide)

Maybe this is why I was bullied as a swot...  And then I went to University and found that I knew so little...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 10, 2016, 05:10:38 pm »

Some places do just have better schools, though being interested and intelligent also goes a long way.

Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 10, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »

Also unutterably stupid.

Uh, no?

here, found it
*reads ALL the comments*
Yeah, still not sure there's anything particularly made up **in the current version**.  Feel free to disprove me here.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 232