Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 288585 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2580 on: July 25, 2018, 03:09:40 pm »

Saxifrage vs Claybourne? (vs Hiroko?)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: July 25, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »

Well, she blended the Green and Red philosophies (save that obviously any blend away from Red was an anthema to Ann, even Ann's own footprints upset her!).  And it was her Zygote that immediately sprang to mind, with a young Nirgal running laps round the lake, when I read the article.

Not that I can be sure that anybody but thee and me understands what I've just been babbling about, here in a science fact thread...  ;)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: July 25, 2018, 03:36:23 pm »

We should drill down and dump a bunch of extremophiles down there, for science.

We can start with the cast of Jackass.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: July 25, 2018, 03:39:53 pm »

We shouldn't put anything from Earth in there. It's possible that there could be Martian life-forms in there, or evidence thereof, so that'd be like the worst possible thing we could do for science.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: July 25, 2018, 04:19:43 pm »

Agreed. We need to make as certain as possible that Martian life is dead/nonexistent before we start dumping our own life there.

Besides, we need to save our extremophiles for Venus. I've always thought that we should send over a bunch of airborne photosynthetic bacteria and let them float over the Venusian clouds, eating away at the greenhouse below. Worst case scenario there is that we seed life to a second planet, ensuring that even if Humanity dies, life itself will last until at least the sun dies.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: July 25, 2018, 05:14:46 pm »

We should drill down and dump a bunch of extremophiles down there, for science.

“Being unable to find Martians already existing, we decided to make our own.”

"If martians did not exist, it would be necessary to create them."
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: July 26, 2018, 06:54:54 am »

Agreed. We need to make as certain as possible that Martian life is dead/nonexistent before we start dumping our own life there.

Besides, we need to save our extremophiles for Venus. I've always thought that we should send over a bunch of airborne photosynthetic bacteria and let them float over the Venusian clouds, eating away at the greenhouse below. Worst case scenario there is that we seed life to a second planet, ensuring that even if Humanity dies, life itself will last until at least the sun dies.

Bar the planet exploding I'm sure life would continue anyway even if the surface was sterilised: with deep-sea life. While much of it relies on marine snow, I do believe some tube worms and the like do not, so yeah. They'd last until the core got cold.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: July 26, 2018, 08:58:10 am »

The problem is that the clouds of Venus don't contain many of the elements need to replicate the bacteria or algae, so you have to work out how that's going to work.

EDIT: One idea that I like is the proposal to pulverise the surface of Venus into rocks. If you do that to about 1km deep, then atmosphere would seep in and the CO2 reacts with the rocks oxides to form carbonates, with calcuations suggesting this would get the surface temepature down to 127c and the total pressure down about half. The best thing about this however is that it doesn't need to shift a ton of matter from somewhere else to achieve it, you just need some way to dig up the ground.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:12:52 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: July 26, 2018, 09:16:35 am »

The problem is that the clouds of Venus don't contain many of the elements need to replicate the bacteria or algae, so you have to work out how that's going to work.

EDIT: One idea that I like is the proposal to pulverise the surface of Venus into rocks. If you do that to about 1km deep, then atmosphere would seep in and the CO2 reacts with the rocks oxides to form carbonates, with calcuations suggesting this would get the surface temepature down to 127c and the total pressure down about half. The best thing about this however is that it doesn't need to shift a ton of matter from somewhere else to achieve it, you just need some way to dig up the ground.

I imagine it would require some extreme orbital bombardment of some kind, cause I don't think any machine can survive the acidic hellscape for very long to do all that heavy pulverization manually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: July 26, 2018, 09:21:20 am »

Not a machine made from any materials we normally use, at least.

But it's stuff we could work out, and even though we "know" how to do the massive asteroid bombardment, the total investment in doing the science for machines that can survive Venus is probably far less than trying to e.g. extract large amounts of hydrogen from Jupiter for Venus, or sending the estimated 2000+ asteroids needed to shoot at Venus. For example, NASA now has a CPU that can survive Venus:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/nasa-has-finally-built-a-computer-chip-to-survive-on-venus/

And it's for an actual Venus rover they're planning

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2016/02/29/nasa-venus-landsail-rover-could-launch-in-2023

If that works out, then it's clear that Mars can be a sort of testbed for Venus stuff. For example, get a 3D printer working on Mars, capable of making rover-parts. Then work out how you can make a 3D printer on Venus produce parts from local materials. For example, the CPUs NASA just built for Venus conditions are silicon carbide. Silicon and Carbon are abundant on Venus' surface, so it's possible that basic circuitry based on that could actually be printed by Venusian 3D printers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:42:11 am by Reelya »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: July 26, 2018, 11:56:12 am »

But while a self-replicating Venusian machine could be useful, it's a near future project.

On the other hand, we know of literally tens of thousands of extremophiles, if not millions. Some of them are going to be capable of reproducing somewhere on Venus. So then, if our goal is to bring life to Venus, rather than make it possible for humans to walk around outside unassisted, we have an option already viable, the only work being the actual rocket firing and finding the extremophiles to survive there. Evolution can take over from there, probably quite rapidly, if it's bacteria.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: July 26, 2018, 12:03:17 pm »

OK, but why bring life to Venus, if it's limited to extremophile bacteria?

Terraforming something for human life makes sense, but I don't actually see much value in introducing bacteria to a place for the sake of having bacteria there. It seems somewhat unlikely they'd ever develop beyond that stage into more advanced forms of life.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: July 26, 2018, 12:09:05 pm »

OK, but why bring life to Venus, if it's limited to extremophile bacteria?

Terraforming something for human life makes sense, but I don't actually see much value in introducing bacteria to a place for the sake of having bacteria there. It seems somewhat unlikely they'd ever develop beyond that stage into more advanced forms of life.

Well, I suppose with things like CRISPR we can genetically engineer extremophile bacteria that are able to terraform the planet just through living and reproducing as bacteria are wont to do. That'd perhaps be the easiest way to doing it, and is reminiscent of how Earth managed to accidentally terraform itself into an Oxygen-rich paradise for life.

Might take thousands or millions of years though, but hey, cost effective!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:34 pm »

Terraforming with railguns.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: July 26, 2018, 01:11:35 pm »

#StopVenusAbuse
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 232