Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Unusual Encounter...  (Read 2558 times)

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Unusual Encounter...
« on: April 16, 2016, 01:08:31 pm »

So there I was, just wandering around trying to track down a goblin vampire that was reportedly in the area...

As I moved northwards, I notice that there is an asterisk erratically twitching around in a two by two grid of space...

Intrigued, I moved in to investigate:

Oh, well...

Maybe it's not as bad as it looks, let's just see what we've got here:

Mercenaries: 33 individual combatants

Hostile:
  • 5 macemen
  • 9 (cross)bowmen
  • 5 swordsmen
  • 3 pikemen
  • 3 axemen
  • 1 hammermen
  • 2 lashers
  • 0 recruits

Non-Hostile:
  • 0 macemen
  • 1 (cross)bowmen
  • 0 swordsmen
  • 1 pikemen
  • 0 axemen
  • 1 hammermen
  • 0 lashers
  • 2 recruits

Allies:
  • 0 macemen
  • 0 (cross)bowmen
  • 0 swordsmen
  • 0 pikemen
  • 0 axemen
  • 0 hammermen
  • 0 lashers
  • 0 recruits

Undead: 10 individual combatants

Hostile:
  • 10 corpses

Non-Hostile:
  • 0 corpses

Allies:
  • 0 corpses

Goblinoid: 7 individual combatants

Hostile:
  • 3 goblins
  • 0 trolls

Non-Hostile:
  • 0 goblins
  • 1 trolls

Allies:
  • 2 goblins
  • 1 trolls

Okay, I have several questions...

Why is there an entire column of heavily armed mercenaries loitering about in the wilderness, while in marching formation no less?

Why is there a bunch of walking corpses mirroring the mercenaries formation?

Why am I fighting alongside two goblins and a troll?

Which god did I piss off to find myself in this situation!?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:17:19 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: An Unusual Encounter...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:27:52 pm »

That's probably one of those marching armies sometime npc are talking about.
Never met an actual marching one, i only got those sleeping soldiers in tents unfortunately.

For the undead mixing, i think that's a nasty bug, i got this one several time in my fortress when an undead troop was coming, usually half of them were alive (and were NOT necromancers themselves), and to add on the making no sense, the undead present weren't even attacking them (despite they should attack anyone living).

The allied gobs is probably something similar, but with all those species mixup that are going on now, who knows if they're not gobs from your own factions.

Though i guess it's just another case of still bugged factions.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:11:56 pm »

I think it's a wandering army as well - I had one VERY memorable encounter back in 40.xx with a wandering warband coming across me while I was in the middle of an ambush. I won't write it all over again so just have my post from last year

I also had a badass story I remembered from an earlier version of 0.40, don't remember which one exactly, but anyway. I was a dwarf axedwarf travelling with a macedwarf and marksdwarf and gained infamy for killing bandits and stealing things from merchants.
Eventually this caught up with me and I was ambushed by a group of atleast 15 dwarven recruits, 2 marksdwarves and also 2 human crossbowmen, all in a box formation around me and my 2 companions. This happened around noon in-game, so you can imagine that the atmosphere was kind of awesome in a wild-west showdown sorta way.
I started by going after the crossbowmen due to previous experiences. What I didn't notice is the recruits swarming my macedwarf friend and holding him down and beating and stabbing him to death; there was literally 9 recruits on top of him in a square. The marksdwarf ran away during the fight, so he actually survived as I found out in legends.
After going on a rampage of revenge I killed nearly every recruit and every crossbowman, which made the rest collectively crap themselves and try to run away. I noticed one of them was hit by a crossbow bolt, so I thought my marksdwarf friend returned, but I couldn't have been more wrong.
Apparently, a goblin army was marching right where I was having this battle, and they started killing off the survivors. My leg's muscles were torn during the fight with the goblins, so I thought I might as well go out like a warrior instead of trying to crawl away. I noticed the goblin lady, a pikewoman, along with her lasher bodyguard, standing some distance away from the battle.
I crawled up to them and tried to kill them. It didn't work out. The lasher broke my other leg, sending me into unconsciousness, and the lady finished me off with a stab to the head.

Far as I could tell, the initial army of dwarves and humans were just mercenaries hired by the merchants I stole from - the goblins were the actual wandering army.

Can Of Noodles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:53:27 pm »

One time, I was wandering through the wilderness, and suddenly I was ambushed.
By an army.

Unfortunately, I cannot say why it happened, or what happened after that, because my game crashed when I attempted to aim an attack when most of them were next to me.  But, I think it would be safe to say that my guy could have handled them, though, given something he had done earlier: (warning, kinda spoilery)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:45:38 pm by Can Of Noodles »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:35:30 pm »

Oh my, that's quite the situation your in, I haven't been in a situation like that before, well I've had to deal with a few goblin armies that were evacuating a dwarven fortress they were occupying. Fun times.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.