Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1585530 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Be good in my absence now!
« Reply #5190 on: July 03, 2012, 02:13:00 am »

Sorta. The one on the left is from being the captain of the other-team-slaughtering Knowledge Bowl team, which won state twice. The one on the right is from being the only person that's gone to the school to have finished all 7 electronics courses. (Most people only get through the first 4, one per year.)

The rest are just varsity/membership pins for other stuff.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: July 03, 2012, 02:17:50 am »

Barbar, you so modest. I love the fact that he's gotten all of these awards and he's all like, "Yeah, it's whatever. I got some pins. I graduated college before most of my peers would have even entered it. Meh. So what."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: July 03, 2012, 04:26:50 pm »

My heartiest congratulations, Barbarossa. Do you have new conquests planned now that you're all kinds of graduated and decorated?

Barbar, I am jelly of your sideburns.
Indeed. Those are some entirely kicking 'burns.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:25 pm »

Well, this Fall I'm heading to another college to aim for my Bachelor's and Master's, which should take ~3 years with the extra credits I have from my Associates. I don't know yet if I'm going to get a doctorate, it depends on whether I decide to focus more on physics or computer science. Computer scientists don't usually need a doctorate to get a job in the field, from what I've seen, but physicists often do. (Especially astrophysicists.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: July 03, 2012, 06:21:26 pm »

Please be an (astro)physicist instead of someone making up clever new ways to make people click on ads.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: July 03, 2012, 06:39:51 pm »

I'm leaning towards physics more, but that's not the kind of computer scientist I'd like to be. I suppose the technical term is more akin to 'computer engineer'. Stuff like improved circuitboards for computers, bus optimization, et cetera. After that last electronics course (microprocessors) I really fell in love with the pseudo-programming that comes from physically building a circuit to perform computations. On the other hand, I also want to send someone to Mars.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: July 03, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »

I'm leaning towards physics more, but that's not the kind of computer scientist I'd like to be. I suppose the technical term is more akin to 'computer engineer'. Stuff like improved circuitboards for computers, bus optimization, et cetera. After that last electronics course (microprocessors) I really fell in love with the pseudo-programming that comes from physically building a circuit to perform computations. On the other hand, I also want to send someone to Mars.  :P

That would be the ultimate double major and quite frankly the department heads should work with you to make it happen.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »

That would be the ultimate double major and quite frankly the department heads should work with you to make it happen.
One step ahead of you: My first program is titled "Math, Music, and Cybernetics". Double-majoring in physics and compsci with a minor in music for the hell of it. (It's a hobby, and I had room for a few 'free' classes. 'Free' meaning 'within standard tuition rates'.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: July 04, 2012, 01:32:16 am »

Just so we're all clear on this, you make me feel incredibly inadequate.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: July 04, 2012, 02:18:46 am »

Yep, but we have second chances. Now all we have to do is push our kids to his level ("Yeah that's a nice drawing of a tree, honey, but when Barbar was your age he had already built his first rocket... etc").

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: July 04, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »

???

Spoiler: Don't. (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:03 pm »

So, Barbarossa has a solid lead in running, trivia, mathematics and colleges graduated from.

I have a slight edge in punching out wildlife.

Eh, I'll take what I can get.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:09 pm »

So, Barbarossa has a solid lead in running, trivia, mathematics and colleges graduated from.

I have a slight edge in punching out wildlife.

Eh, I'll take what I can get.

*Solifuge puts on his Sage Wisdom beard*

We all find different people admirable or impressive for different reasons, usually for doing or having the potential to do things we'd like to do ourselves. The secret to happiness is to take these feelings, and use them as lessons for helping us know what we should be focusing on in our lives, and where we should be moving toward.

So basically, Barbar, go wrestle a crocodile. Max, get your Doctorate. I'll be busy doing both.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: July 04, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »

I have about two and a half years left on my Bachelor's, so I'll do that first. If I can go into astrophysics as a second major after that, I'll be golden. It's super interesting, but I'm afraid that I'm not smart enough.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: July 04, 2012, 03:01:37 pm »

Intelligence itself is not an inborn trait, but is the result of focus, mental discipline, and study over time.

*Solifuge removes Sage Wisdom beard*

Okay, all done.

Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 987