Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1585519 times)

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Play nice while I'm out being nice, okay?
« Reply #9360 on: June 25, 2014, 02:05:52 pm »

It is in fact Seppuku. Sudoku's a game involving a bit of math.

And when I look at it again, it does look like you're commiting seppuku.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: June 25, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »

It's a joke, Apiks. People say Sudoku as a play on Seppuku.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: June 25, 2014, 02:31:13 pm »

And Dutchling is almost never serious about anything he says. Or maybe he is an idiot and we shouldn't call too much attention to it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: June 25, 2014, 02:47:20 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:45:45 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: June 25, 2014, 02:50:55 pm »

Why would you call someone trans*? I mean, I don't see how you can both be regular trans and one of the things * stands for.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: June 25, 2014, 02:53:09 pm »

Why not just say something you think is right until someone corrects you. Then you can remember their preference, and there would be no need to tell people how to speak.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9366 on: June 25, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »

Anyway, I am selfie!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also took an angry/glaring mugshot for the OOC thread. Figured it could go here, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think if you cut your hair a bit and shaved the beard you'd bear a striking resemblance to a young Leonardo DiCaprio.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: June 25, 2014, 04:00:00 pm »

What does the asterisk in trans* stand for, anyway?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: June 25, 2014, 04:07:35 pm »

I don't think anyone knows.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:16 pm »

Why would you call someone trans*? I mean, I don't see how you can both be regular trans and one of the things * stands for.
Because you don't necessarily know which one of those terms a person is unless you can talk to them about it.

And in other contexts, such as "the transgender community", replacing it with * makes "the trans* community" a more inclusive term.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: June 25, 2014, 04:30:23 pm »

What does the asterisk in trans* stand for, anyway?

Wildcard symbol. Fun fact, you can actually use it in Windows file search. Basically meaning (anything goes here). The equivalent for a single 'some symbol' thing is humble '?'.

So, you could convey gender pronoun ambiguity with ?he, but somehow it didn't catch on :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: June 25, 2014, 04:31:09 pm »

Things like this aren't about "Telling people how to speak", it's about saying things in such a way to be as inclusive as possible without being absurd, like by saying "people" for every group with no restricting labels to identity which *type* of people. As you get to know a person, you're able to narrow down what terms that person applies to themselves and what terms they dislike.

It's literally about, and only about, not being offensive to someone because you don't know what they find offensive, and you don't want to tell them they are something that they are not (which is especially a problem for LGBTQ people, who far too often grow up in households where they're consistently told "No, you're a boy, not a girl" or "you'll grow out of it" or "how can you know that you aren't straight/cis when you're so young![1]") By using obvious, inclusive terms like trans* and LGBTQ, you allow people, if they wish to, to help you narrow it down, and when talking about an aggregate whole, it doesn't exclude people that don't fit the exact term you chose to use but still face the same issues and are in the same community.

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:32:50 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: June 25, 2014, 04:36:36 pm »

I am confused. How many different types of transgender is there? Descan sorta-answered that.

Personally, also, if I were transgender and someone said I was a member of the transgender community, I would be rather insulted. I, as a...is there a word for "not transgender?" do not belong to the "not transgender" community, but see my self as a member of humanity.

Also, as for "not being offensive to someone because you don't know what they find offensive" I don't like treading on glass around people. If I say a term they don't like, I shall not use it again. If they get offended, it's rather mean of them to not consider that I didn't immediately know what they are. So I say "He says he likes..." and they say "Sorry, it's she" and I reply "Ah, sorry, my mistake. She says she likes..."

I don't see the need for new terms that just separate people further into groups. Just stop being so uptight about it, relax, and chill.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: June 25, 2014, 04:49:43 pm »

It's actually the opposite of "seperate people further into groups" :P They're *supposed* to be kind of umbrella terms that wrap all the smaller groups, such as "transgender, transexual, intersex, agendered, non-binary" and any other term that fits into one that can used as short-hand without excluding anyone who could conceivably fit. The more "unusual" terms, like "agendered" or "non-binary" are attempts to get the language to describe things as closely to what they are as possible. Same way that the scientific name of all the different wasps, while the umbrella term is just "wasp", if you're speaking of a specific type of wasp (or person) you use the term they tell you or that you has been ascribed to the species, otherwise you just call it a "wasp" as you *don't know* what it's actually called. It'd be no more different than calling a parasitic wasp a yellow jacket, it's just wrong by point of fact, and just because you don't know what term they prefer doesn't mean you can apply the "common term" (transgender, or "yellow jacket" wasp as they're usually the most common wasp) to them when there's a perfectly good umbrella term available to use.

And, as in your example, if you don't actually know they even are trans* at all, that's a different beast. In that case, yes, as long as you make good effort to remember, and as long as you recognize you were wrong and are now corrected with no malice on either party, then there is no real cause to yell at you. But to say "we don't need all these labels, just relax and go with the flow" is erasing what they feel, and to them and many groups in their position, feels like you're saying "I don't care what you are, just be happy with what I call you because I'm too lazy to remember another word". That may not be what you're saying, but then, you didn't mean to call someone a he who was a she, did you? But you are willing to fix that mistaken perception, but not this one?

And as "insulted to be called a member of the trans* community" (the term you would look for is cisgender, but that's generally only used as an external label from within the trans* community; there are no communities that call themselves cisgender, for the same reason there are no "straight pride" parades: every other aspect of life is cis/straight affirming, there's no need for communities catered to them because they're catered to by default), that's your prerogative, but for a lot of LGBTQ people, these communities were the first to say "No, you're not a freak, you're just different, and that's okay." There's a lot to be said for simple affirmation, and as a result, they identify strongly with the communities. And even still, just because you may not feel a member of any group, that doesn't mean others are wrong for feeling like a member.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:52:07 pm by Descan »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: June 25, 2014, 05:07:17 pm »

In other news:

Yeah, mastahcheese doesn't really look much like Vector. Though, if I recall correctly, she bears a striking resemblance to Remalle.
I really have no idea what you're talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 987